Monday, January 18, 2021

Winter soup, reados, and car fixes

 Last evening, I found there was supposed to be an easy fix for when the tire pressure light won't go off after the tires have been properly inflated. Mine was one, which made me very suspicious of whether the dealer guys had in fact checked when I asked them to the recent time I was there for a new battery, but anyway, there it was, it came on.

Neighbor took great care, found two tires a bit low, adjusted everything, he has a tool for everything, including a tire inflator thing.All the more suspicious that that couldn't have happened in the week since I was in to the dealership.  Rethinking my loyalty to them now.  Neighbor asked about the alert light still on.  Tires were fine, light was on.  I said last time I noticed that, I'd had tires inflated locally, then asked at the dealership, who said, no, the customer can't do that, we will do it for you.  I now realize they were treating me like a dippy old lady, and I absolutely could do it myself.  

So I went out this morning to find the button the YouTube video showed me, to reset the tire pressure system.  And there it wasn't.  No sign of it. Oh. So, determined, I went into vehicle settings and blundered about, found calibration, no idea what it was but said, okay do that.  It did, I guess, then an exit screen came up, and I exited. And the alert light was off, yay.

On the way there I'd accidentally found out various interesting things, including my oil level, fine, my average mph, also fine, and managed to get the total mileage restored instead of the trip mileage.  And did it all while keeping the English menu up. Phew.

Then I thought I'd better find out more, and between google and youtube found it's necessary to do this after any change to the tires. Calibration is the magic thing to do. So now I know.

Moving on from a minor success to more important things.  Lunch.  This is where I got out that broccoli leaf soup kit I put together, carrot, scallions, broccoli leaves, added chicken stock, and their idea of great seasoning was a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. So I did salt, but also a teaspoon of curry powder. That's not enough for heat, just enough for a lovely warm depth of flavor. Also chicken stock cubes.

And I decided that sausages, hot Italian chicken, would go fine in here, too.

 
So here's the kit cooking nicely, with the sausage chunks browning in the background, ready to add once the soup is cooked and blended.


 And here's lunch. Also it made five more lunches while I was at it.  And it's really good.  Definitely recommend you make a soup of broccoli leaves if you haven't before.  I will enjoy this. Must remember it.  It's a powerhouse sort of food, too.  And very welcome on another freezing winter day.

And I did another reado today.  I follow Moose Allain, a very funny cartoonist, and sometimes have to check the cultural assumptions he makes in order to get the joke.  Today the point of the panel was the word contraction.  Which I instantly read as contradiction..and had to see comments on it before I went back and saw the joke by, um, reading the word as written.

It strikes me that reados are a bit like my hearos, too.  I don't have volume issues with hearing, but slight distortion ones.  So if I heard contraction, it's very likely it would sound like contradiction, my hearing often adding in a syllable on the way to the brain for some reason.  Like the vision correction I need, to knock out the extra outlines caused by astigmatism.  I wonder if anyone has linked these up. Think of the credentials you could get out of this study. And the inventions you might trigger.


12 comments:

  1. You are a brilliant woman. You truly are.
    And yes, broccoli leaves are just as good as any other leave. I have cooked them with collards and mustard greens and kale many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them better than kale. At least these were tenderer than the kale I've got from the farm.

      Delete
  2. I read "shopfitting" as "shoplifting"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister used to do that. She'd read the situations vacant column and say they're advertising for shoplifters! I don't think you need advertise for them, they just show up.

      Delete
  3. I don’t know if I’d have done what you did to turn that light off in the car. I’m not as brave with the technology. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blundering about, really, just hit lucky. I was perished if I was going to traipse to the dealer to get it fixed though.

      Delete
  4. For me the biggest problem is trying to figure out what 'name' the car manufacturer calls different lights, etc on the car. A lighted wrench popped up on my dash. Mild panic - is the engine about to fall off?? After much searching through the booklet - Engine Maintenance Lights. Means it's time to change the oil. ?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is where I turn to YouTube. I've found out a lot there that I couldn't find in the owner materials. Also other commenters are sometimes very knowledgeable and generous.
      I just found out that the button showing what I thought was a phone, and took to be something to do with bluetooth and ignored, never use the phone in the car, is in fact a lane alert. The icon was a car swerving out of its lane. It beeps if you do that. Also every time I make a left on a green arrow with a narrow lane. Icons don't work for me.

      Delete
  5. The tyre pressure warning on our car is a pain. It goes off when the tyres wear down, and it's really worrying when it lights up on a motorway and you stop and can't see anything wrong. I understand it better now, but the first time it happened I stopped in what didn't seem a very safe place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing. When you're unfamiliar with the car it's a huge jolt when lights and beepers start up. I nearly went off the road the first time my screen lit up and there was a deafening beep to tell me the car was ready for service soon.

      Delete
  6. Didn't know there was a 'fix' for that tire pressure light being on. DH fixed ours by putting a piece of black electrical tape over it. Ours insisted on being on all winter when we had the snow tires on. Oddly, when we test drove this new-to-us car we just about drove into the ditch when a woman's voice suddenly announced that we should drive carefully because it could be slippery. Even more oddly is that she hasn't done it since. I can only speculate that the dealership must have shut her off because they knew we'd be annoyed. There's also a beep and an announcement on the screen to tell us it could be slippery. Perhaps the 'voice' was considered overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of people use that fix for unwanted alerts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!