Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Day of waiting, with compensations

The automotive patient is still in the OR, the surgeon studying how to stop the battery from draining.  It's all about waiting today. One bulletin: the car started immediately for the mechanic.  Of course it did.  It's like the toothache completely vanishing once you're in the dentist chair. But my hero friend confirmed that it had been doing that, then dying completely overnight.  So the surgeon continued thinking.

The main compensation being a nice little supper of, wait for it, it took as long to name as to cook it:

Crepes Mornay avec les Champignons et les oignons verts.


Here's a roux cooking gently before the warm milk, salt and pepper are added,  the parmigiano cheese in waiting, with mushrooms and scallions sauteing in the background.
I added more regular wholewheat flour to the batter to make the pancakes a bit sturdier.
 

And here are two, rolled neatly while the last one cooks, I used the same, unwiped, pan as for the mushrooms and scallions, so the flavor would continue.

 
And here's supper, sauce now containing the mushrooms and scallions, spooned over the pancakes and very nice, too.

I have a bowl of extra sauce which might be used again as sauce or might be a base for soup. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Tomorrow is another day.

15 comments:

  1. Nice!
    I hope your mechanic figures out the problem today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think of a few possibilities, but I'll wait to hear from my friend.

      Delete
  2. You truly love to cook and it's inspiring for a non-cook to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's interesting, anyway. It's a treat to cook the food and amount that I'm up for, without having to cater to a partner's taste.

      Delete
  3. our meals aren't ever that fancy but they are good and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem fancy to me,but several readers differ from me on this! Pretty simple cooking and assembly.

      Delete
  4. My husband’s grandmother had the same dinner set as you do. We have the same in yellow. Very serviceable! I see it sometimes on Facebook as one of those...re-post if you remember these. We still use them every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought these just a few years ago. It's Corelle ware. I replaced my lovely pottery dishes a few years back when my hands and wrists couldn't handle the weight any more. I didn't know Corelle came in anything other than white.

      Delete
  5. That always happens, as soon as you get to see the doc, the tummy doesn't hurt any more. Best wishes to your mechanic, hope he finds some inspiration to heal the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this meal falls under the umbrella of comfort food - and by the sounds of things, you're in need of that right now. We're all waiting for an update on the car woes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!