Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Of Cats and Stains and Biscuits and Jam

 I was talking today with a friend about talking to myself and to various animals at times when I've had animals in the house, and found I'm far from alone in that.  I do have conversations with myself frequently, partly because it helps me think, partly because if you don't use your vocal chords, and people alone have little opportunity when they are not telephoners, it's not good for your voice.  This is the kind of thing you don't think about unless you've lived alone for years, which some of us have.  Happily, for the most part -- this is not a complaint-- but there are adaptations to make.

And I used to have conversations with my own cats, and in earlier times, when I had a home petcare service, with client animals of all kinds, cats being the most conversational. 

Over the 12 years of the service, I knew literally hundreds of animals, many cats, since my typical clients had multiple animal households, far too complicated to board them when the humans had to be out of town, and certainly for corporate travelers, away two and three times a month, impractical.  Also many of them were single women who loved to come home to happy animals already there and fed and generally pleased to see them.

I developed a certain amount of knowledge of different cat temperaments, too.  As you know, chromosomes not only affect fur colors, but temperament that goes with it.  I literally never knew a ginger tom, they're mostly male, who was not a good guy, very laidback, very forgiving, just a nice feller even if you had to stick needles into them, and a number of my clients needed twice daily injections, the sort that the owner could do. 

And there were tuxedos, black and white cats, who were up to all sorts of shenanigans.  I never knew a tuxedo that wasn't planning some sort of caper at all times.  One turned on the electric can opener as I came in on my first visit.  He heard me come in, thought, oh the food lady, let's get this show moving, folks.  The owners had left it plugged in, and he knew I would head for food cans for him and his brother.  I made a practice of going round the house on my first visit unplugging items that the rush of departure had left plugged in.  Hairdryers, irons, can openers, a lot of things that are better unplugged anyway.

This tuxedo's brother used to leap into the fridge at the first opportunity when I'd opened the door and was distracted by another cat for a moment.  I learned always to count cats before I left and to re-open fridges, anything I'd opened and closed, to make sure nobody was trying to do themselves in.   They thought it was a great game. One used to get into the sleeve of my coat, which I'd put down when I came in, in the hope of an adventure traveling with me. So disappointed every time I tipped her out.

Then there were tortoiseshells, almost always female, who were a law unto themselves. Charming, actors, high strung, always at fever pitch of emotion, but didn't get mean, just very self centered and needy. And elegant and beautiful.

And calicos, also female, the only ones who ever seriously bit me.  One used to do a pre- emptive bite, as I came into the house, knowing the first task was to insert a pill into her.  Then she'd flee at top speed and hide while I got out the food and water and dreaded pill.

We did get to be friends, more or less. 

Then there were the ancient cats, who had their owners totally under their paws.  One, Wellington, aged 22, used to love drinking from a dripping tap.  So I'd put her in the sink first thing, start the tap, then get her food and water organized.  Her owner had explained she couldn't jump that high any more, and always had to be lifted. No problem.  

Then one day I was a bit slow getting to the sink, and she leapt in gracefully and patted the faucet  asking me to get a move on and turn it on..I told her owner that, and she fell down laughing, explained they'd been picking her up for years, thinking she couldn't manage.  I did pick her up, though, because she loved it.  I pretended I didn't know it was all an act.

One of the reasons I got on well with cats was that I have quite a soft voice, fairly high, and I would start talking as soon as I opened the door.  Animals like that, and respond fast, because they want the company and conversation.  Birds are particularly happy with women's voices, I found.  

And on my first visit with a new client it became a regular thing to have the owner explain I would never see their cat at all, too shy, so here's a picture just in case you're interested. At which point, said shy cat was already climbing up me and one made it to the top of my head and started grooming my hair to straighten it, cats not approving of curly hair.  At which point the owner would say, well, I think this is going to work just fine!

My own cats had a lot of debates with me, and each other. So now that I am catless, I have to fill in their parts, too. Except for my weekly visit from Handsome Son.

He visited today and got me all mixed up as to the day, since he usually comes on Sunday. I had baked a batch of hot biscuits with walnuts and golden raisins.  These went over well, split, buttered, and with cranberry jam, which he was surprised to find he liked. 

After he left I found ample evidence of cranberry jam on the linen napkin I'd used as a cloth, and got to use Boud's Handy Dandy Stain Removal Method for Red Fruit, or Wine, Stains, on natural fabrics.

This consists of a large bowl or pot, a big rubber band, and you set the cloth drumtight on the bowl using the rubber band, in the sink, then pour, top speed, boiling water over the stains.  Which not only gets them out, but is fun to do.  Then you use the boiling water for something else. In my case the dishes waiting to wash after the tea ceremony. No charge for this invaluable Pro Tip.


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I enjoyed reading this post so much! And you're absolutely right about tuxedos, with their shenanigans and capers . . . my beloved cat Her Royal Highness (who still regularly interferes and takes over on my blog despite being dead) was a tuxedo, need I say more? I once used to cat-sit a friend's old Russian Blue who was the most miserable sonovabitch on the planet. It was always touch and go whether she'd bite me just for the hell of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russian blues are well named! Intense, pessimistic, easily offended.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the lovely cat story.
    Talking to the TV makes me laugh. Also, singing helps the voice stay fresh.
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to singing. It's good for the spirits, too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to hear your cat reminiscences. I didn't realize cat personalities and fur were so closely intertwined. I've only ever had one, who came into our lives as a little red/orange stray when we were looking for a red heeler pup to add to the family. He sat down in front of me and said "Take me home", so I did. Mike took one look at him and sniffed "Wrong species". But Cocklebur stayed, and the puppy came later. We had him for 16 years, and I miss him still.

    That 22 year old cat - what a story! Biscuits sound delicious, and I'm happy to have that Pro Tip.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always found entirely white cats to be a little bit...crazy.
    And what about female gingers? Which is what my cat which the grandchildren call "Scratchy Cat" is. She has a maneuver suitable for removing the heads of squirrels that she uses on on our arms and hands. A stab/grab with the paws and claws, then a quick fierce chomp of her strong jaws. I have healing wounds as we speak.
    We had a lovely tempered, sweet gray kitty called Polly, who, when she aged, did the drinking-out-of-the-faucet thing. I suspected it might have something to do with failing kidneys. But she lived a pretty long time. At the end of her life we had a tenant downstairs who had an aging dog, the smartest, sweetest girl. Her name was Percy. As they got older and older, Polly and Percy hung out together quite a bit, just sleeping next to each other, as if they both recognized what the other was going through.
    Your biscuits look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever met one female ginger, statistically an outlier, and she insisted on living under a canoe outdoors, unless extreme weather brought her in to the enclosed porch. Not interested at all in humans, even her owners. Very self sufficient. And a proficient hunter.

      Delete
  5. You are a cat whisperer, Boud. You were the perfect cat sitter. I always wonder if animals can sense when someone feels comfortable around them. Those cats certainly felt comfortable around you. A 22 year old cat is quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellie wasn't the oldest. There was a 24 year old in another household! They fully expected him to expire before they got home, and we discussed what I was to do in that case. But he treated their absence like a rest cure, actually ran to meet them when they returned! They called me in astonishment.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised, I would think that the boiling water would set the stain. and yes, I not only talk to myself but to both the cat and the dog. cats like me. any house I'm at if there is a cat sooner rather than later it's rubbing against me or in my lap. one time back in my river guide days I was at the boathouse sitting in the back while the outfitter was talking to a group of people when one of the semi-feral kittens there came out of hiding and sat by my feet. I reached down, picked it up, put it in my lap and was petting it when Don noticed and stopped mid-sentence in shock, said something about no one ever being able to pick up those half grown kittens and everyone turned and looked and the kitten, unhappy with the attention leapt off my lap and ran off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Often I forget to do practice talking in the morning, and am hoarse on the phone.
    I've had all those cat combinations over the years, plus a blue eyed white cat who was deaf. Her name was Phoebe Snow, after the line of the Phoebe Snow, which you may know being an Easterner. And the singer, to double the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our last cat was a tuxedo and he was exactly as you describe. He was very aptly named Cosmo after the Cosmo Kramer character in Seinfeld. Kramer would skid into a room and our Cosmo did the same. He never entered a room without making a statement...usually involving a full-tilt run up and over the furniture until he stopped dead in the middle of the room and sat there, all innocence. Our other cat was a grey and white and, although her name was Mitzy, she was more often dubbed 'The Cat From Hell'. She would bite you as soon as look at you and the claws were always at the ready. She didn't do it with us but every unsuspecting person that set foot in the house was fair game.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!