Thursday, January 21, 2021

Takeaways from glorious day, and gnocchi

Yesterday turned out to be glorious beyond expectation, from the solemn ceremony, to a president with actual plans for governing, complete with powerful women there in their own right, to the young poet, Amanda Gorman's,  moving performance of her poem The Hill we Climb, to the celebrations later and the fireworks. A few takeaways, not good pix, but best I could do:


The artwork installation of 250K flags to represent people who would have been there

Amanda Gorman, brilliant poet with political high ambition

Words I love to type: The Vice President and her husband!  We're nearly there, folks  The glass bell was a symbol of the glass ceiling almost gone at this point in this arena, anyway.  Most of it was done online, and I really think they should always do it this way.  Instead of posh balls in the evening which hardly anybody can go to, and very nineteenth century, anyway, assuming het couples and touch dances, this was so much more inclusive, all kinds of people getting to be seen and heard. 

And today, on a humbler plane, I had an adventure turning Misfits sweet potatoes into gnocchi, using and adapting a recipe I found at AllRecipes

I didn't roast the sweet potatoes, just microwaved them tender.  Mashed with a fork. Here the egg's already blended in. Here's the nutmeg I grated, garlic ready to crush, salt, wholewheat flour. I liked this recipe because it didn't just say put them all together, flour an all.  It did suggest adding the flour bit by bit till a nice soft dough happened.  Which I did, and used a lot less than the two cups of the recipe.  I used some on my hands, some on the board.

And here you see the first batch, followed by two more.  This recipe made enough for several meals of gnocchi.

Two batches into the freezer, not cooked.  I'll cook when I use them eventually. For today's lunch, a few at a time into the boiling water, not too many, you don't want to take the water off the boil.

Then they float to the surface after a couple of minutes, always a period of wondering if they will until one brave soul goes first and everyone else follows.

Then some fresh grated parmesan, and it's lunch.  I don't buy grated cheese partly because it's not hard to grate as needed, partly because there's an additive in it to stop the bits of cheese from lumping up, and I'd just as soon not eat the additive.  No doubt it's safe but I doubt if it adds anything nutritious to the meal.

This worked fine, and the gnocchi did not come apart in the water, always a concern with handmade pasta dough.  It occurs to me that this might be a very nice addition to pumpkin or carrot or any soup in that family.  Cooked ahead and added after blending, just to heat through.  Yes, I'll do that at some point.

I can tell I'm recuperating from the glorious end to the bad four years, because this morning I had an ocular migraine, not long in duration, but a sign that there was stress and it's been lifted.  I had one similarly when Bannon was fired from the White House.

So now all's good.  I'm claiming the stimulus $ on my tax form, which  was already printed up with that line item included even before they were sending the stimulus $ out, a sure sign they did not expect to actually complete the job.  A bit of a giveaway, too.  Forms already printed here and ready to file once I get all the doings filled in.  But they won't accept tax filing before February 12, owing to a massive backlog of work from last year.  Millions of filings yet to be addressed. I don't envy them their job.

17 comments:

  1. Yes! On everything you said. And as to the gnocchi- I think I'd really like to try that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it and let us know how you like it and what changes you make, especially if you make a sauce for it.

      Delete
  2. I’ve never made gnocchi. You make it sound easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for yesterday, I watched it on the telly. Lady Gaga was great, Amanda Gorman was stunning, J.Lo sang her heart out, the new Pres looks like he has an actual plan, which is more than his predecessor had, and the Vice Pres looked as pleased as punch. Good luck to them, they'll need lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they will. But they have experience and knowledge and the will to get stuff done.

      Delete
  4. Guess I'm lacking in my education once again because I have never tried gnocchi. They sound good so might have to test them out (or at least put the bug in Resident Chef's ear!).
    Very glad the day yesterday was peaceful and that there's a sense of hope for better things ahead. There's a long way to go though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he'd like making them. It involves baking skills which he has, handling the dough, and the cooking is pretty minimal. Done recipes involve ricotta. Mine didn't, which is good because I didn't have any.

      Delete
  5. The too familiar sense of dread is gone which feels at least hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I'm not waking up anxious each morning worried about what was done overnight.

      Delete
  6. A wonderful day indeed. A grown-up in charge - hallelujah! And a very diverse group behind him, ready to face this incredibly difficult time.

    Ocular migraine - I had my first one this winter. They're odd things, aren't they?! Never heard of them before, raced to the ophthalmologist in alarm.

    I too have never had gnocchi, much less made it. Did make flour tortillas tonight - a little thick but very good.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  7. About ocular migraines, they're a vision disturbance, jagged lines across the field of vision, segments of printed material vanishing, impossible to see to dial your phone. I don't get a headache but this time a wave of nausea. Older people worry about detached retina, and my eye doctor talked me through the first one. They last 15-20 minutes usually, then all's well. Usually caused by stress, or by websites not adhering to the law about accessibility, yes, there are laws.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did enjoy the butternut and apple dish you showed us but doubt I'll try the gnocchi. and yes, such a weight lifted off even though the far right republicans are already at their crazy laughable shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the apple dish, so the gala apples were fine.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed the inauguration "party" a great deal. So much better that some stodgy dance/cocktail deal. Hmmm - sweet potato dumplings - I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!