Monday, January 4, 2021

Cold winter's afternoon

I appear to have a working, fully connected new phone, and an old one which does everything except phone and text, as planned.  I did it all online, and after the old phone stopped working as a phone and the new one started, I added minutes to the new one.  Now to see if they applied the minutes (I do pay as you go, cheaper) to the correct phone.  My account has not caught up with all the changes yet.  But I kind of doubt they'd apply minutes to a discontinued device.  Anyway, I'll wait a day or two and check again.  I'm very pleased I managed it without the aid of a net.  Interestingly, the first text that told me the new phone had gone live, was my prescription service telling me they'd shipped me vital pills.
 
Meanwhile, the old phone


Looks exactly like the new one. Which it is, just more storage and some features which work better. And a battery that holds a charge.  The camera isn't wonderful on either, but at the price, I'm not fussing. Today, to be fair, it's gloomy and dark and rainy, so the camera didn't get much help with light.

The good thing is that the new phone, posing here, can wear all the purses I made for the old one. Several are the result of going mad making granny squares. I got on one of those tears you get on, where you are doing just one more, just one more. I folded them over and, amazingly, they work fine as purses, with a long strap, so that I can wear the phone all the time. This is vital to an older person living alone, especially in a house with stairs.

Here's one of many purses. I've given away a lot of these to people who kept on losing phones or who fell down at home where they couldn't reach the phone that flew out of their pocket on the way down.

Then, on a more peaceful and thoughtful note, I've started reading Sand County Almanac, written by a naturalist who was a professor at the University of Wisconsin Madison, a town I used to live in, though twenty years after his death, so I know some of the geographical references. He's a wonderful thinker, about history, and preserving the natural surroundings, and knows a lot about the progression in various misguided directions, of Wisconsin and its attempts to  dominate the land and farm, and unfortunate effect on the wildlife.

It's sad yet very instructive and he understands so much about the movements of wild creatures and why.  It's set up in three sections, and I just started on the first, arranged by month. I've read January and February.   Not the sort of book you plunge through in my usual fashion, but one you have to stop and think about.  His description of the lightning- struck oak on his farm and how they eventually felled it and what it had witnessed in its life since probably the Civil War era, is an education in itself.  I do recommend this.

It's illustrated by Charles Schwarz, whose signature you can just see in the bottom right of the cover

Then, this evening and maybe a couple more, will be passed under a blanket, with a cup of golden milk, watching

 I have finally got hold of the third season, only a few years behind the rest of the viewing world, who has now galloped past the next one,  and is waiting for the one after that. I'm hoping for good hats.
 

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'm only a little ahead of you. I didn't know the 4th season of The Crown is available on Netflix already. I enjoy Netflix through a son's account, but I haven't watched it in many months. I may need to fix that very soon here. Enjoy your new phone! And enjoy Season 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching in DVDs from the library, so I don't know anything about netflix or the next season. I just know I'm way behind!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new phone and the transition. I am impressed!

    Sand County Almanac is one of my top ten favorite books of all time. What a wise man, well before "ecology" was known to many. And what a beautiful writer.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out about Sand County from a naturalist's timeline on Twitter, very glad I did. I got it in print form, and it looks as if it hasn't been out for 25 years! High time.

      Delete
  3. I guess I'm probably the only person who hasn't watched The Crown and probably won't ever. I just don't watch much TV. too many other things that need doing. your little phone purse is a nice idea but it would annoy me no end banging against me with every step. I don't even carry a regular purse. my essentials...phone/device, wallet, keys...go in my pockets. of course I do have a small bag on a strap for the rare times I don't have pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The phone purse is a small bag on a strap. Doesn't bang anywhere! Fits snugly crossbody. I've been glad of it more than once when I've fainted, everything flew out of my pockets and the phone stayed with me so I could get help! Living alone you can't afford to count on stuff staying handy.

    I have no TV, so I'm usually out of the loop on programs. Netflix is beyond my means. So the occasional dvd fits the bill nicely. Ymmv!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how we watch the rare movie too. Library DVDs. But I'll take a book over a movie almost every time. (Ellen, I'm the other person who hasn't watched the Crown - but I appreciate hearing Boud's and others' recommendations).

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  5. Great idea with the granny square purses. A way to keep the phone handy in the house! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy new phone, Liz
    The differences between phones high and low end, I think are mainly in speed and quality of the innards, whatever they are called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This phone is still in the budget range, but with more storage, which I need.

      Delete
  7. I share my son's netflix account and watched all the Crown episodes up to the present one, which I haven't started yet. Maybe tonight.
    Well done getting the phone working. I leave my pohone all over the house and can never find it when I want it, so I need a little carrier like yours. I'll have to quilt one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, make a purse for the phone. I've had more than one occasion to be thankful I did. It's really vital.

      I'm up to the arrival of philip's mother at buckingham palace. Almost comic relief after the harrowing Aberfan passages.

      Delete
    2. Aberfan happened on Friday 21 Oct 1966 just across the Bristol Channel from my home.... I was married on Saturday 22 Oct. My mother kept the news from me because she knew it would upset me. What a tragic event. I remember it every year.

      Delete
  8. So glad the phone transition was relatively painless. Haven't seen any of 'The Crown' and doubt I will - Resident Chef isn't the least bit interested and since he has the care and keeping of the tv remote I know the odds aren't good. Don't get me wrong - I could tell him I want to see it and he'd oblige but truthfully I could care less about most of what's on tv so it's not worth bothering. I've heard good things about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very well done drama. I'm surprised at how I'm gripped by it, and like you I don't have any interest in TV. This is from different and much better.

      I tried Schitts creek, lasted two episodes, the office less than one episode etc.

      But this is as good as the old marple and Foyle, and poirot and masterpiece theater, very well acted and produced.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!