The day started with packing a couple of woven items for a friend, to be mailed on the way back from the Tuesday knitting group, which didn't exactly happen, read on.
Since there's a thriftie stop in Wednesday's plan, I needed cash from the bank. Then I realized ah, I can get cash at the PO when I mail the doings. Two in one.
Meanwhile the Tuesday group met, with projects in knitting, including knitter-spun yarn hand dyed by another knitter, crochet, and embroidery.
Chat roved over home projects -- playhouse for grandchildren, refurbed and painted -- vacation, tech workarounds, tai chi, Stratford Ontario summer theater, paneer, sourdough bread, honesty seeds, mosaic crochet, Izzy dolls, amigurumi, heatwaves, YouTube and more.
Then off to the PO to mail the package and get cash. The poor lady explained nothing was working, computer down, she couldn't do anything till it came back online, who knew when.
So the trip to the bank was on again. That worked, cash now in purse, and the friend driving me, determined to get the package to its destination said she'd send it from her PO after dropping me off. Which she did, reporting that it took a couple of tries for them to get it done, too,and surly to boot.
Then a bit late to Textiles and Tea with a marvelous New Zealand weaver, Agnes Hauptli , originally German, now very established as a weaver and teacher in NZ. The comments were packed by NZ weavers and her students, what a loyal turnout.
Look at her work, the finest of threads, silk and alpaca, elegant cloth. She rarely makes more than one of an item.
One exception -- one time she was commissioned to create one hundred scarves from cervelt, the most expensive, deer sourced, yarn in existence. She did that one
She wove the self portrait she uses as a headshot. What a force of nature and such a laughing happy woman, it was end to end fun.
As was my Tuesday, come to think of it. Wednesday is the dentist and the thriftie. It's all good.
Happy day everyone, life's a workaround.



















What GORGEOUS work by Agnes Hauptli. Breathtaking, really.
ReplyDeleteI really want to see and touch it.
DeleteDitto what you've both said! Love Sandra Boynton too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a productive day! I am enjoying your glimpses.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad, Miss Merry
DeleteThat seems like a pretty full day.
ReplyDeleteFollowed by another!
DeleteNow I have to find Agnes Hauptli - I wonder if she opens her studio to visits. With ideas like she appears to have why spend life doing the same thing over? Move on to the next idea...
ReplyDeleteLet us know if you get to meet her.
DeleteI'll check out this weaver's website in the morning. Magnificent! Also will look up cervelt - a new word for me. Too late tonight.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
It was new to me, too. Check the prices of items made from cervelt yarn, not Agnes' work though.
DeleteTo have a group of fibre users together, using different techniques is a good idea... You can pick up ideas and suggestions that might not come to light if you were all knitter or all weavers etc
ReplyDeleteAlso massive support and encouragement, always welcome.
DeleteAgnes Hauptli's work is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteIt would be wonderful to handle.
DeleteAgnes Hauptli’s work is absolutely amazing. Oh, how I’d love to see that in person... AND own some!
ReplyDeleteIt's really heirloom quality. Every piece a keeper.
DeleteI got a bit of a shock scrolling down. The mosaic blanket in your knitting group looks exactly like one I made. Even the colours are very similar.
ReplyDeleteSounds like it’s going to be a busy week for you
Was the blanket a kit?
DeleteHer work is almost unreal it's so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYes, so many fine strands, and the shine and color changes.
DeleteI'm with Mitchell. I would love to own one of her pieces. Simply beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou want to hear something silly? I'm pretty excited to see what you find at the thriftie.
Not silly, stay tuned.
DeleteI have never heard of cervelt and didn't know deer-sourced yarn was even a possibility, but those pieces are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteFervent is rare and niche -- from the down of the NZ red deer, a few grams per deer.
DeleteI fervently wish bullytext would stop interfering. When I type cervelt that's what I mean, not fervent.
DeleteYou were certainly out and about! I brought my knitting north -- but not the pattern!
ReplyDeleteMake a note for next time!
DeleteThose weavings are stunning! I, too, would love to touch because I imagine they must be so soft and luxurious.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the wasted trip to the PO but you managed a work-around so it's all good.
The weavings are something rare. And the po is on the way home, so not a big deal.
DeleteWhat a feast for the eyes you’ve given us here! That triptych that looks like lava is stunning. I went to her website and navigated to a page that shows something else I’d never dreamt of before — her work at the bottom that's called A Book of Memories for My Sister (found on her site, Portfolio —> Gallery —> Art works). Wow, and that’s woven?! Incredible.
ReplyDeleteShe's endlessly amazing. I'm glad you went to her website. I always include that because my post is so brief and there's always much more.
Delete