Today's Handsome Son's birthday, yay him. It's also Handsome Partner's anniversary. Our son was with him at his last moments.
This makes it a complicated day, though we decided quickly to celebrate each person on their birthday, to lift the weight off the day a bit.
So I baked a chocolate cake for Handsome Son
sent him a card, and a greeting text at the hour he was born, and he'll be over next week for a little celebration.
Meanwhile I went out early to pick these, they're doing well this year
and to provide mosquitoes with a nice breakfast.
I did find a suitable aquarium for SG, Mitch
98lbs empty. A gallon weighs about 8lbs. Times 75, plus 98. It adds up.
And I'm wondering what to make next that's portable and I think I'll try this
Happy day everyone, some days are harder to navigate than others, but we've done it before, we can do it again.
Sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula







Yes, a mixed day of celebrating your Handsome Son and, hopefully, sharing happy memories of your Handsome Partner. Wishing you joy and peace!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI'm thinking of you tenderly today. That's a lot of to have in your heart on one day.
ReplyDeleteYes, you understand.
DeleteHappy birthday to Handsome Son, on this day of mixed emotions. A 75-gallon aquarium is pretty large, I think! (It's been a long time since I had an aquarium but I don't think I had one that big.)
ReplyDeleteThis is the fourth try to answer. They keep vanishing. Thank you, I'll pass on the good wishes. And I think I'll pass on the aquarium too.
DeleteHugs to all on this tricky day.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's just one day.
DeleteYou’ve made a good decision to celebrate his birthday. I cannot fathom people or beliefs that don’t.
ReplyDeleteI'm talking about celebrating his deceased father on his birthday in June. I think people mostly observe the anniversary not the person's birthday. But this is how we do it..
DeleteI have to admit since I've not been reading you for long that I'm a bit confused. Understand Handsome Son is your son but not whose partner was Handsome Partner: Son's or yours?
ReplyDeleteHandsome Partner was my husband, father of Handsome Son. We were partnered from 1960 till he died in 2011.
DeleteSending hugs to you, and congratulations to HS (however, I've always thought that the congratulations should go to the person who did the hard work pushing him into the world, so congratulations to you too). You handle this day well.
ReplyDeleteHow nice of you top give the mosquitos a breakfast bite or three...
Chris from Boise
Yes, I remember his birth quite well. People who say you forget are telling whoppers!
DeleteThe mosquitoes seized their chance. I haven't been very available recently.
Wishing you both love and sweet memories and a wonderful late birthday celebration. Thanks for finding the fish tank! I think SG has settled on something a little smaller (like around 55 gallons). He’s going to show me what he’s thinking tomorrow. Also, options for the base cabinet are black, white, light-color wood, or gray. We’re thinking gray might work best for us. So go ahead and get that tank for yourself! Have you finished your research on tropical fish? He wants to get that narrowed down.
ReplyDeleteI haven't finished. Well, full disclosure, I haven't started. Thank you for the good wishes, much appreciated.
DeleteIt is difficult. My previous partner, Mountain Man, died on my eldest son,The Oily One's 30th birthday. Celebrating both birthdays is good
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a complicated day to navigate.
DeleteHappy birthday to handsome son and partner.
ReplyDeleteInteresting craft.
Cathy
I'll pass on the wishes to Handsome Son. My Handsome Partner was his long deceased dad.
DeleteI was in the mood to try something new and calming.
I hope the celebration goes well.
ReplyDeleteThank you, it's very low key every year, suits both our temperaments.
DeleteMuch love to you today, Liz. It is so good that you and Handsome Son have each other. The decision to do birthdays is a good one! Been awhile since I said "boo" to you, but I am following you every day. And I am still into Haggard Hawks. Always a tie to Liz!
ReplyDeleteI know you're always around even when you don't comment. Thank you for your nice words today.
DeleteA day for bittersweet memories. And cake. Or is that to be kept for HS's visit. Surely you had the cook's bit?
ReplyDeleteI'm letting him cut the first slice. I'm being so nice.
DeleteI agree with sparklingmerlot - bittersweet. But the birthday of a wonderful guy! That cake looks so delicious.
ReplyDeleteIt's a complicated day. But the birthday is good. And since I've got the cake ready when he is, no pressure!
DeleteThe cake looks delicious. I miss having a fish tank/aquarium, we had tropical fish in ours, the kids loved watching them.
ReplyDeleteWe had a small one for my son, before he moved on to a chameleon.
DeleteThis date is one with both happy and sad memories, bit also one you never forget.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you ever forget the day you gave birth!
DeleteHappy birthday to HS, and also quieter time for memories. Celebration is good.
ReplyDeleteI'll pass on the good wishes, thank you.
DeleteA day of mixed emotions for both of you, but the overriding thing should be celebrating Handsome Son..and you, for giving birth to him. I'm sure Handsome Partner would be pleased with that.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right on all counts. And thank you.
DeleteA happy birthday to your handsome son. I’m sorry the day has now become a day of mixed emotions.
ReplyDeleteIt lovely he was with his dad when he passed. It’s an honour to see someone you love transition to the next world.
At least you know that the day is definitely a day of love.
It seemed so appropriate that he was the only person there. I'd been in constant attendance for years and had stepped out for a moment. He handled it all so well. And your last sentence is a gift. Thank you, I'll remember that. It's very helpful.
DeleteI’m sorry about your difficult day. I have a quotation saved to my phone that echoes your last line: "On particularly rough days when I’m sure I can’t possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through hard days so far is 100%. And that’s pretty good."
ReplyDeleteThat's an encouraging thought, with the added advantage of being true.
DeleteVery pretty black-eued susans. You grow a lot in that small garden of yours. It must be very colourful.
ReplyDeleteIt has its moments. The pachysandra is a great green background.
Delete