This is today
So it's a good day to stay indoors and plan fall planting for next spring
Since we've had so many massive downpours and flooding issues, I've decided to abandon the idea of a paved patio out front. The less paving the better at this point.
So I'm going to plant. I can transplant some daisies from the back deck area, my neighbor plans to give me some of her echinacea in fall, because she has too many, and I've ordered some of these for right near the front step

Jessie's Star flowers. Small and flowering after daffodils and before daylilies.
Yesterday after the downpour I went and weeded again out front, and notice the pachysandra is moving in quite well. So I think this will work.
And I'm Freecycling this handy folding chair I haven't used in years, excellent condition. Gary used to borrow it occasionally, but I've rarely taken it out of the bag
Complete with drink holder! I got a taker, a reliable lady I've dealt with before, in minutes.
I'm so sorry for the Misfits driver in this weather
Did I mention I got all carried away and replaced my ancient doormat?
A non pink truck just doesn't seem as exciting, but Handsome Driver Rameer is as cute as ever.
MIA are my strawberries, so no excuse for jam this week. The potatoes are beautiful, like golden fruit. They'll be roasted with the fake beef from last week, now frozen into patties mixed with egg and Cajun seasoning, how did I manage before CS.
Eggs for carrot, spinach quiche from last week, carrots now steamed. Nonfat yogurt because I couldn't get full fat but I'll live. Bananas for smoothies, and maybe banana bread. Chocolate melt things for Handsome Son's upcoming birthday cake, he already requested chocolate. Choc almonds, nutritious, that's my story.
Honey wheat bread, nearest I can get to the seedy bread I like. Canned food to share with the food pantry. Tuna for tuna melts. Plenty of cheese in the house already for these and quiches. Also plenty of green veg in the freezer.
That's chez Boud for now. Now to parboil the potatoes and steam the spinach. Advance prep definitely keeps me cooking good food, less work at the point of hunger.
Happy day everyone, happy birthday to every August person, including e, who blogs as Life in Progress, go there and leave wishes, and Handsome Son.
It does make sense to do some prep work before hunger takes over. If I would just plan my meals farther in advance I might try that too. I think I must like the challenge of trying to figure out what to cook every evening.
ReplyDeleteI commented and it vanished. On my own blog. My plans are fairly vague directions really, but it ensures no food waste, a big point.
DeleteI always do the prep work. I pick a day I’m feeling better and then I’m half way there for when I’m not so good.
ReplyDeleteI hope the rains stop for you very soon
Rain is already a memory. Now we're blazing, feels like 110°f. I definitely eat better when I only have to finish cooking instead of start from scratch every time. I'd soon find good reasons to have tea and toast!
DeleteYet again, the haul from Misfits looks wonderful. SG just baked two big loaves of banana bread.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering how long the banana bread will last.
DeleteSuch a smart idea, to pre-cook for later. I have not been cooking as much lately, but am getting back into it. Fresh produce is pushing me to do so. Corn on the cob, spinach... I just got my first birthday card for my birthday on the 23...and it's really a mother's day card. Tee hee, the thought counts!
ReplyDeleteHappy early birthday! I think good health starts in the kitchen. It's worth cooking for yourself if you can.
DeleteHappy Birthday Barbara!
DeleteThank you for the mention, the card and the incoming gift. I feel honored. Please tell Handsome Son happy birthday from me.
DeleteSome good eats there.
ReplyDeleteGood old misfits.
DeleteYour potatoes are beautiful. They make me want to prep my ugly potatoes for something tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteAren't they lovely? Fine skins and beautiful color. I usually parboil them so they keep in the fridge, then dice and roast them. I really like this way of eating them.
DeleteIt's a good idea to not pave. So many flooding issues are because we want to pave everything, leaving small area to absorb moisture.
ReplyDeleteIt's a tiny area but I think I should do my share.
DeleteA new doormat? Cool your jets!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI may need help to curb this spending habit.
DeleteYour planting plans sound lovely--Jessie’s Star flowers will be such a cheerful touch by the front step. And I agree, less paving really does help with all the water issues. Smart move!
ReplyDeleteThe patio pavers seemed like a good idea at the time, because house repair had created a new piece of bare earth. But I think my second thoughts are better.
DeleteI bought extra eggs today. I made hard boiled egg chocolate pudding for Jack and he even ate it. I made it with whipping cream too. Lots of calories and lots of protein, and it tastes good.
ReplyDeleteI always like to hear about your cooking plans, because I seldom have a plan:)
It's very good for young kids to have full fat, too. That's the age they need it most. I read other people's cooking ideas all the time, too, and get some good suggestions. Check out Sandra at Worlds EndFarm for her bread particularly.
DeleteI like the idea of pavers but with that much rain they are a slip hazard, so you are wise to have plants instead.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought of the slip issue, thanks, another reason to go with planting.
DeleteYou remind me that we have a number of folding chairs which are remaking folded there days. The place in the park where we have unfolded them in the past is hard to get to these days due to nearby construction hindering accessibility.
ReplyDeleteI never really used this chair much, one of those good ideas that didn't fit with my life very well.
DeleteI've bought one of those lightweight folding chairs every time I see them on sale, and now have one in each barn and paddock shelter. Nice for brief visits and sometimes useful for hoof-trimming (depending on the goat). The cup nets don't last here, though - the goats check them carefully for stray peanuts by making holes in the bottoms.
ReplyDeleteThis chair was used at kids sports events mainly -- Gary at grandchildren's events. Mainly it sat in the coat closet.
DeleteYes, I feel sorry for delivery persons who have to be out in all weather conditions too. Planning for new spring garden additions is an ideal activity when it's too hot for anything else. I do miss receiving the seed catalogues!
ReplyDeleteI have such aspirational ideas before reality intervenes!
DeleteThat seems like good thinking re. the front garden. Can't wait to see what you plant!
ReplyDeleteIt was going to be an extension sideways of the top step, maybe 8x3 feet. A small fraction of the space. But I had second thoughts about accidentally setting up runoff towards the house. So my echinacea and daisies and star flowers will join the current daffodils and daylilies with a bit of succession., among the pachysandra. I might strew wildflower seeds too, still have a packet. It will all be easy care
DeleteHappy Birthday to your Handsome Son. I'm an August birthday too! My daughter will host a party for me over the weekend. Sweet!
ReplyDeleteThen you're included in the birthday wishes. Happy birthday, and many more!
Delete