Saturday, August 22, 2026

Urgent call to action, please read, and call

 In Friday's Chop Wood, Carry Water, there's an urgent request for readers to call Alabama Senator Katie Britt to intervene on behalf of a seven year old child imprisoned in Dilley. The child has written begging Britt to help her because Britt had said she was very moved by the plight of Liam, the child in the bunny hat, similarly imprisoned.

Here's the thing: Fredimar and her parents were in the process of leaving, to return to Venezuela, when ICE arrested and imprisoned them in Dilley. 

I called with a message asking Britt to intervene. 


Anyone may call. I particularly leaned on US readers. But I hope nobody lets distance and national borders deter them from trying to save this little family. If you call from abroad please identify yourself as such, especially if you're a voter in American elections. That will carry a lot of weight. And if you call and find the voicemails full, yay us.

20 comments:

  1. It's inhumane what they're doing to children and families. I hope all that can, will call , and that the Senator does the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She made a big deal out of little Liam, and we're holding her senatorial feet to the fire here.

      Delete
    2. Just to be clear Dilley is in Texas and she's a senator from Alabama, so it's not her state, but it's hopeless asking Texan senators, so we're leaning on her.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I can’t write anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was scared to do it but I called and left a message. I am saddened that our country puts familys and children in concentration camps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It took me a while to get up the gumption but I couldn't sleep if I hadn't.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Boud...I pushed the other issue that Craven brought up, putting efforts into helping the people in Gary IN following their weather event. This needs to be given efforts as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I prioritized a little girl suffering terrible damage, though the people in Gary certainly need help. Their power is slowly being restored.

      Delete
  5. I am devastated this is happening. Personally I find it easier to call after hours and leave a voice mail. Thank you for advocating for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the VM boxes are filled before the admin get in on Monday.

      Delete
  6. What's going on is disgraceful and inhumane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am unable to call from so far away but I hope plenty of people do call and leave enough messages that Fredinar and her family are soon home where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Concentration camps in 2026 USA.! How can any of us stand by and not just for the children. I feel useless in the face of such developments and realize many people outside Germany felt that way in the 1940s. Tell us how we overseas can advocate for humanity, for their freedom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying. No. Words. Honestly, reading about ICE in England, one can't help thinking about how people were 'disappeared ' under various fascist , communist and other totalitarian regimes in various countries at various times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to link to this post from my blog. Thank you for this call to action.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ll add my international American voting voice to the messages. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I want to do is swear, so I'll restrain myself and say, yes. I will call.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awful. It's beyond belief it's so heartless.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!