Sunday, August 9, 2026

Flowers and down time

Another hot and humid day, so I'm surrendering. Just reading and knotting and picking flowers. No plans. 


What you get when you plant wildflower seeds. Tiny individual sparks of color, a cornflower, a coreopsis, some baby's breath 



The zinnias are under way, tiny lovely flowers, with the daisies 


And I'm glad I left the sweet William alone, because they're having a second act 


Wandering dude is booming, to become a houseplant later


After the hibiscus finish flowering, there's more to see


 
Today's flowers, mainly daisies 


The wild thistle has been knocked around in the wind and rain, but it's blossoming all over, so I hope the goldfinches and butterflies find it 


Since I spend time in the kitchen why not have a few flowers there.

The new knotting is coming along, very pleased with my new skill. Working area on the left, the right is the leading threads, to be braided later. I'll learn a five thread braid to do that.

The wobbly part at the top, where I was getting the hang of it, can be unknotted later. Meanwhile isn't this cool?

Happy day everyone, off to change the bed, then make a veggie quiche, then start doing nothing. What luxury.






26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. In a while I'll be looking for something to do.

      Delete
  2. You are so good at seeing a new skill and picking it up and having success! I certainly admire your determination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was pretty easy though my fingers aren't as responsive these days.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's nice, isn't it? Now that I have the principle down, I can do it with more threads.

      Delete
  4. Wandering dude is an amazingly prolific plant. When ours get too big I just root some sprigs and throw the rest out! It sounds harsh but that's the only way we've been able to keep it under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one planted itself. I had no part in it!

      Delete
  5. Those daisies are looking very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to leisurely days! We all need them once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't come to grips with leisure somehow. I spent the morning cooking and doing laundry.

      Delete
  7. I was under the impression you have a small garden but you cram a lot in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patio's about the size of a king size bedsheet. Yes, there's a lot crammed in. The combo of planting in containers as well as around them helps.

      Delete
  8. Yes, the braid is very cool. The variety in the garden is wonderful. I surrendered today, too. Up to the roof twice for laundry and that was my only time outside. More of the same until a week from now. Then it will just be simply hot as opposed to extremely hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how small the garden area is, it's amazing what it gets up to. Outside isn't an option right now other than brief forays.

      Delete
  9. Somehow there's a disconnect between a day of luxury and changing the bedding! I suppose that's because I hate changing the bed.
    Your little garden produces the loveliest bouquets which goes to prove you don't need a lot of flowers to create something pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to do leisure! But I do appreciate a newly changed bed, so that's luxury.

      Delete
  10. Your garden seems to be loving the heat and humidity, even if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers, especially wildflowers, seem to be fine with it.

      Delete
  11. Anytime spent learning a new talent is a good time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to that! Fortunately there seems to be an endless supply of new things to learn.

      Delete
  12. "no plans", sometimes those are the best days. Your flowers are doing well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your hands are never still and i guess by that and blogging and the contributions to knitting group you are heling keep so many of these skills alive in this age of industrialized everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like to share anything I've learned, particularly the joy of making. You don't get that from videos.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!