Friday, August 14, 2026

Thursday's food has far to go

Thursdays after the Misfits delivery often devolve into a frenzy of food prep, to avoid waste. Many processes going at once.

Yesterday's case in point. I macerated and cooked apples and plums 

Then started apple cider vinegar using the cores from the apples 

This is a new experiment, suggested by blogger Leigh of 5 Acres and a Dream, check her out for a lot of interesting country narrative.

At the same time I was making strawberry jam, which came out one of the best batches in a while 

while I washed and froze blueberries.  Today I slice and freeze mushrooms and nectarines and make three bean salad, using the green beans I steamed while the fruit was macerating. 

Thursdays are perpetual motion. The upside is pretty much zero food waste and plenty of good meals. The downside is that I'm worn out at the end. Yesterday I slept a lot of the afternoon away. 

Today's breakfast was toast and strawberry jam. Dessert after lunch will be banana strawberry jam smoothie. Lunch  three bean salad and quiche. Mid morning snack a helping of apple and plum mix.  Not in this order.

Food tends to be at the forefront late in the week. 

And there's always flowers at this time of year. This is peak flowering time.

Zinnias, cosmos, cornflowers and baby's breath. Cut from the container garden. Plenty of buds maturing out there still.

Happy day everyone, there's usually something nice to see or taste or sniff.

Sez Billy the Pup






27 comments:

  1. Goodness, you sure know how to use every bit of the food you get. I missed your post from yesterday and am impressed that you are so good at following up with every cent you are due. I wonder about the people that can't handle such things. I bet they are cheated out of a lot of the $$ that is due them. And they are the ones that probably need it the most. Sad world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got old people their refunds from the state when they couldn't fathom how to get through it. The thing about having a modest income is that you need all of it, can't afford to let anything escape. That's food and utility money.

      Delete
  2. I love this kind of food work. When peppers go on sale at Aldi I love to chop and freeze and also make roasted peppers. ACV is my go-to and on my bucket list to start making. Love that you're giving it a go! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw from Leigh how simple it is I had to try it. I make mayo from her directions, too. She does the research, her readers get the benefit.

      Delete
    2. Excellent. I saw it from a Youtuber. It's just so easy. However, not buying fresh apples at the moment so this will wait. Meanwhile, I buy ACV at ALDI. Mayo is crazy easy to make. very, very fun too! And so many options.

      Delete
  3. Using apple cores to make apple cider vinegar -- brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're organically grown so I'm not concerned about pesticides, too.

      Delete
  4. Getting groceries does involve lots of time 'dealing with'. We bought a bunch of zucchinis this week and I had my taste buds primed for muffins until the RC informed me that he thought I should think about making relish. It's too hot to be standing over a cauldron of steaming pickles so I think I've convinced him that muffins are cooler to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with making things like relish and canning is that by definition you're doing it at the hottest time of year when everything is ripe! Except your energy. I'm team muffin.

      Delete
  5. I bet you are tired by Thursday evening! But then you have everything prepped and ready to go for the next week. Or more! Love it!
    Three bean salad here in the south involves vinegar, sugar, and vegetable oil. And lots of them. I'm thinking that's not how you make yours.
    I made another experimental batch of my high-fiber, high protein bread yesterday and it was a success! Crusty outside, nice, softer texture inside. I was so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in NJ we make three bean salad the same way. But this time I added a Mediterranean touch -- olives and feta cheese. Tell us more about the bread, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a busy day! I'm going to check the blog. I'm intrigued, I'd love to make apple cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy! Trust Leigh for good information.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is. The arrival of the food is just the start

      Delete
  9. Excellent use of apple cores. That bowl of macerating fruit made my mouth water. Beautiful mug of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squirrels are probably looking for their apple cores.

      Delete
  10. I bet you are exhausted! I have stretched my grocery shopping out so that I can do all my prep at once. And it is a job! Washing everything, slicing, dicing, simmering. I had the last apple go bad last week and I was kicking myself for missing it. It is nice when it is all done though, isn't it. I thought I was caught up but the majority of my ripening green tomatoes turned red today so I have my work for tomorrow.
    Your jam looked FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My jam is fruit,sugar and lemon juice, no additives. It varies because fruit varies, and this batch was really good.

      Delete
  11. Your Thursdays are super busy, I remember Fridays being similar when I was being a stay-at-home mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's busier now that I can't safely eat fruit and salads raw, so that adds cooking.

      Delete
  12. Awww, Billy! Looking a bit skeptical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture is from a windy day. She hates wind! It blows in her face and annoys her.

      Delete
  13. Do you have a standing order or have to select the food items each time?
    Never known anyone to make their own vinegar. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a standing order option but I prefer to shop each week because my plans vary. I like a variety of dishes.

      Delete
  14. This week has been a very 'pushing week' for me. I am glad to have done it AND I am glad it is done. I always mean to do your daily bouquet. It is a practice that draws our hearts to find the beauty in every day. I never seem to get started on it. But you know what? Today is the day. Thanks for being you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do it today. You'll be glad. I like the little ceremony of choosing and cutting and (minimal) arranging. I think you will, too.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!