Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Resistance reading, Tuesday Knitting group and Textiles and Tea

Today's resistance involves reading Malcolm Gladwell 

The gist is that the powerful figures of our time aren't as fearful as they seem. And that the smaller people can defeat them. We need to remember this when it seems the oligarchs are winning.

We have examples from our own experience of resisting. Target,  boycotted by the people, is now struggling, the price of denying diversity and supporting a tyrant. 

Citizens Bank now starving ICE prisons of funding after massive public pressure. There are so many more. They all need us to stay brave and do our bit. None of us is exempt from trying. Wr have more power than we know.

Meanwhile I'm reading Gladwell for tips on strategy as well as encouragement.

The Tuesday knitting group was fun as usual, my bracelets admired and the Ukraine one under way 



Wearing one project while embarking on the next 


The embroidery continues, but she'll soon be teaching again so we'll only see her occasionally 


This work goes on until all the yarn is used up.

Chat ranged over birthdays and death days, Shakespeare productions, cat behavior, baking, age, birth order, socks, travel, quilling, glasses and more.

Home to Textiles and Tea with 

A young New Yorker from Venezuela whose work in textiles expresses resistance, narrative and the impact of economics on the individual. 

She runs community events creating large textile installations, often with braiding, where anyone can show up and participate.

She also creates intuitive woven gallery pieces, with great color sense and high energy. Look for her teaching a workshop in Queens NY in September, and a gallery show in New York in spring 2027.

She's worth following, so young but she's made her mark already in North and South America.









Happy day everyone, Tuesdays are always full of things happening here. 







22 comments:

  1. Since I identify with two of the words in Gladwell's subtitle, I'll have to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For other reasons, I think it's a good read.

      Delete
  2. T&T has done well showcasing dynamic young artists. It would be intriguing to attend one of Ms. Mayela's community events.

    Thanks for the Gladwell book review. Off to the library yet again. BTW, with somewhat mixed feelings, I found "The Instrumentalist" fascinating. The author knows her synesthesia.

    Just back from a week in Wisconsin, where the air was cool and the skies were clear - heavenly! Our skies in southern Idaho have finally cleared from smoke, but daytime temps are still flirting with 100F. Too hot for too long!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got tired of the Instrumentalist, and didn't finish. The writer so in love with her work she couldn't bear to stop, and I could bear to stop. It was an oddly baroque approach to early pre baroque music.
      I think I'll write about community art events I've created, just remembering a couple.
      It's surprising that Wisconsin in August was cool. My experience was different, but I was new to hot summers then.

      Delete
  3. It is ironic(?) when you think that the symbol of fascism in Italy represented the strength of many weak sticks coming together making a strong staff. Resulting in the appearance of a dictator....

    But it is true that smaller people coming together can be strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, the people can make a much bigger more diffuse bundle!

      Delete
  4. I'll hunt up the book. It's very heartening to read of the pushback against your current regime, sorry, government!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to read of the resistance examples working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read Robert Hubbell and Chop Wood Carry Water newsletters you'll get daily accounts of hundreds of successful resistances and legal victories. You'll never find them in the oligarch media.

      Delete
  6. Love the idea of the large braiding installations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Malcolm Gladwell book sounds like worthwhile reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He presents a lot of what seem to be counterintuitive ideas and backs them up. I like his approach.

      Delete
  8. I've listened to his podcasts and Gladwell does give a different approach to many things. I love Chop Wood/Carry Water, and will check out Hubbell's newsletter too. The Contrarian continues to offer up to date info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubbell is encouraging and realistic, a good combo.

      Delete
  9. Little by little the tyrants will be overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mayela’s work is exceptional. We continue to nibble away at the tyrants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Mayela's work.It sounds like you had a very good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve never thought of using a clip board to hold the yarn. That’s very ingenious

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Tuesday reports are always interesting. Sure is good to hear that Target and Citizen's Bank are struggling - yay to the people!!
    Apparently the latest in the tariff war between Canada and the US is resulting in US liquor being allowed back on the shelves here. It doesn't sound as though most Canadians are planning to buy any and will stick to the alternatives they've found since it was removed from the shelves months ago. Won't bother us either way because we don't drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to remember we all have power. And if we exempt ourselves from boycotts, we're supporting the tyrants.
      I think once people get used to being without a product and move on, it's unlikely they'll come back. Once bitten.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!