Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Happy Canada Day, and White Rabbits, eh?

Happy Canada Day to our Canadian and Canada-adjacent blogistas.

White Rabbits, too.

I did dull but strenuous stuff this morning, cut back the foliage from the very feeble iris this year, brought the Thai basil out front so neighbors can pick. Note the qtips and read on 



Witnessed the almost frightening advance of the squash plant. It had set off across the gate so just yesterday I turned it back and tied it in a new direction. Whereupon it said Ho, that's how you want it? I'll show you. And proceeded to commandeer the top of the fence. All the growth you see at the top is since yesterday



The tomatoes really like their new watering system



And I did the annual Riddling of the AC Condenser pipe. This is below grade, for some "reason" and if you fail to riddle out the buildup of debris that drifts in over the winter, the AC will drain through the living room ceiling. I riddled out a bit of debris and water began to flow out very obligingly.



 That bit of screening covers the mouth of it and the tile behind keeps the screening in place. Simple, works a treat. The various other visible pipes and lines are not related. The actual condensation pipe is underground and not visible here. 

If I'd held off a couple of hours, my neighbor would have done it. I met him later, and  he said he was about to do his, did I want him to do mine, too. But I was done. In a hot humid place like this it's vital to remember to do it. Some people have elaborate hoses and pumps and things.

Then we got talking about the caterpillars that have eaten his kale and broccoli, and I looked and saw just sad little skeletons, where there were plants last week. I don't think he knew about putting collars to interrupt the caterpillars' climb. 

He also has squirrels digging merrily in the house plants he put out for the summer. There I could help, and I gave him some qtips soaked in peppermint essential oil to put in the pots. As you see above in the Thai basil. 

 I've had some success with it. It's not the stuff you get in the baking section, but the real thing, much more pungent.

The best deterrent for squirrels is a pair of nesting Carolina wrens with young. They take no prisoners. I've seen them run squirrels off, one tiny bird pecking furiously at his head, one likewise at his tail. 

We had a squirrel free season up to a couple of weeks ago, and then I knew the pair that nested near here must be done with child rearing when the squirrels came back, ransacking the feeder. 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the cotton swab tip
    I've only seen one squirrel passing through on my deck since the weather has been warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have colonies of them. Constant war to keep them out of roofs. And to trap them when they gnaw their way in.

      Delete
  2. We have squirrels in our garage loft. They chewed through the wood around an air vent thingy. So destructive. Worse than raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a leak in the bathroom ceiling which we eventually found was caused by squirrels chewing a hole in the PVC condensation pipe above the ceiling. That was after we'd got them trapped and removed from the eaves.

      Delete
  3. The trials and tribulations of gardening. Good tip about the peppermint oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the mint oil won't keep the squirrels off the bird feeders? I'm down to my last 2 suet blocks, and haven't found any the last three times I've gone to the shop, including today. Darned squirrel can go through half a suet block in a day, while the birds - which can make a block last for several days - miss out. I'm surprised the bigger woodpeckers don't just run the squirrels off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't up to now. The birds are just getting the leftovers.

      Delete
  5. A few years ago we drove through Canada with two dogs on our way home to Boise (from Quebec) - specifically to avoid the US fireworks frenzy on the 4th of July. Were supposed to stop off in Ottawa on July 1 to see friends - till they pointed out it was Canada Day and fireworks everywhere. The best-laid plans...!

    The Candy Roaster vine that took over the world! Keep a machete at hand!

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to go all the way to the Cambridge English Dictionary to find an explanation of riddle used in this way. Thanks for adding to my knowledge and understanding of the fabulous English language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for persevering till you solved the mystery. It's a lovely language, yes.

      Delete
  7. we have an abundance of young squirrels here. I don't usually put out bird seed in the summer, don't want them too dependent on me, but every morning a spread out a little sunflower seeds for the mated pair that comes and if it's not there, the male perches on a branch outside my window and chirps at me. the squirrels get whatever the birds didn't eat before the squirrels show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here there's so much wild food available that anything people put out is a bonus. Except for the bitterest winter days when they really need to fuel up on suet. Really it's so I can watch the birds from my window! But I do withhold food for days now and then. Birds are opportunistic, so they just keep searching, and I agree with you on not wanting to disrupt that pattern.

      Delete
  8. Interesting to know the tip about the peppermint oil. Now if I could just remember which blogger it was that was having trouble and share it with her. Squash of any sort is amazing at how fast it will grow. I remember a zucchini plant that took over pretty much our entire yard and produced enough zucchini to feed the entire neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Q-tips soaked in peppermint oil. I'll have to try that because the #*%@^$!!! squirrels are driving me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!