Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Three Bean Solution

So when I put orzo on my shopping list that Handsome Son has been taking care of for a while now, I was thinking of the plain white stuff in a cardboard box. He produced this



not being familiar with plain orzo. This is pretty fancy, three colors, three vegetables or something. So I tried a mixture of it and white beans. Okay, not exciting but edible. You did know it's good to boil canned beans a bit to ensure they're tender? I boiled orzo and beans together, 10 minutes, worked fine.

Then I thought this is pretty dull. And today three bean salad happened. Well, three beans plus three color orzo. I didn't have red onions so I minced half a white one, made the dressing with a lovely mature sherry vinegar, olive oil, fresh ground black pepper, sugar. And it's a whole lot more interesting.



And very welcome on a steaming hot day.

10 comments:

  1. I’ve only ever used the white orzo. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this orzo in the store and almost bought it. I think it would be good.
    Your three-bean salad has reminded me that I love three-bean salad and need to make it again soon. I'll add some steamed fresh green beans, I think, since I have so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I was thinking of going to the farm for green beans. But the high 90s temp was a bit too much for me. But it was still good. I like that sweet sour dressing.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you turned into something tasty because it's beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is what saves kidney beans, I think.

      Delete
  4. Orzo - another new-to-me thing. I'm sure the stores have it but it doesn't seem to have made its way into my grocery cart as yet. Bean salad on the menu here tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty common. It's pasta, semolina flour. It works nicely with a lot of things, great in soup.

      Delete
  5. I got a sale email from the farm where I order organic farro, and it reminded me: I haven't made faro in AGES! Cold, with a nice dressing...oh my, I'm going to cook a big batch as soon as I can bear to light the stovetop. It's so stultifyingly hot and humid! I can't use my hotplate outdoors to keep the house cooler because I'd also have to be out there and it's quite unpleasant - steamy and airless-feeling. I'm hoping to get in a little garden work between sunset and dark today, but only if I'm still standing after doing the evening feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farro is a grain I've never tried. I should note it.

      Today is hot, steamy and no fun to be out in. I did a bit of gardening earlier, lugged an old large rug to the dumpster -- gallant neighbors rushed to take it the rest of the way, chatted with said neighbors then had to get into the shower to recover. It took no time to be done in.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!