Monday, July 13, 2020

Yogurt cheese returns

I like to make yogurt cheese, aka labneh, when I remember.  Best with whole milk yogurt. Strained overnight in the fridge in a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a bowl.



Then you get a supply of great cheese, similar texture to cream cheese but I like it better. It's sharper and less waxy to my taste



And the whey that drains off is good in soup, so that's in the freezer now.



Today I sprinkled freshcut chives over.



Then lunch was a Swiss cheese chive omelette, with a cornbread oat walnut muffin, spread with labneh.  Nice on a hot summer day when you can't be pestered to start cooking.

I've added in violets and other edible flowers at other times. It's very appealing.

10 comments:

  1. I’ve never made labneh. Must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a cornmeal oat muffin for breakfast, split and spread with labneh, and the chive flavor had developed. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever made paneer? Another quick and simple - according to the paneer-makers of youtube, anyway - cottagey cheese. I couldn't get cottage cheese on my most recent grocery adventure, so I bought an extra half-gallon of milk to make paneer. Then of course I drank all the milk. Which was even easier than making paneer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've made it a few times. Flavored it with flowers, chives etc. An Indian friend was visiting after I made a batch, which I showed her, saying it's cream cheese. Girija: no, no, Lizzie, it's paneer!

      Labneh is easier to make, no gathering of curds and dripping over a bowl. But basically it's the same process: separating out the solids.

      I have yogurt for cooking and yogurt for eating, so I will have enough for my plans.

      Delete
  4. This is another thing I've never tried but now I'm putting yogurt on my shopping list and see if I'm able to get it. I'd like to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to get whole milk plain yogurt. Not Greek yogurt, that's already strained. I like Dannon but there are others. Don't go for that wildly expensive Icelandic stuff, not worth it.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to try the labneh - then you can add herbs, I assume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Or you could sweeten it if you like it on the dessert side. I add chives or thyme or whatever I'm up for after it's drained. But it occurs to me you could also add them to the yogurt before you drain it. I must try that and see if it's good.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!