Friday, July 10, 2020

Some sort of toffee stuff

I made my own version of Heath Bars this evening, adapting a recipe for toffee. Equal parts butter, sugar, chocolate chips, pinch of salt and a shake of walnuts.



I followed the recipe, cooked it to hard crack stage etc.using my trust candy thermometer, but  it's halfway between hard toffee and fudge. It's very good, not complaining. It's just not brittle.

 The mixture didn't go the dark  amber it's supposed to. It's possible it's a function of the fat content of the butter. I don't know. If any reader does, please enlighten me.



 I spread the chocolate chips around the hot toffee after I'd poured it into the foil, and they melted pretty well. I walnutted half the candy because sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

And it belatedly occurs to me that since we were visited by Tropical Storm Faye today and the humidity is almost unbreathable, that definitely may have played a part in the process. I hadn't thought about it before.

But you can't go far wrong with butter, sugar, chocolate and walnuts. And a pinch of salt.



Anyway Handsome Son is visiting tomorrow and will be glad to sample, I expect.

Haven't had candy since I made chocolate bark for Valentine's day. 

11 comments:

  1. Though no expert, I bet you're right about the humidity. Looks delicious all the same.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... That does look good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so out of the habit of candy that a couple of pieces were plenty! I haven't wanted to ask my shoppers for frivolous stuff like a candy bar, when shopping is so hazardous. I've restricted myself to vital supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful
    For sure those ingredients, not matter what the viscosity, are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good to me. We are also having high humidity after a really heavy storm. I made pizza dough and it was full of air bubbles and was super sticky which I think was due to the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it was the humidity. I've tried to make pralines a couple of times on warm humid days and they never set up. made them on a cool dry day and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will pay more attention to the weather when I cook from now on. The candy's fine, just different from expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! Resident Chef has made fudge and keeps it in the freezer and we're allowed a little square on the weekends as our dessert (and to indulge my craving for chocolate). The last batch he made didn't set up as it normally does and now I am wondering if it was the weather being so hot and humid. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - sounds good - I might just have to try making that myself though sans nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make toffee about once every five years. So next time I'll do it on a dry day.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!