Friday, July 31, 2020

Dead March in Saul please

So Ellen and I, plant doctors, correctly diagnosed the squash vine culprit. When the rain stopped this morning, I went out to survey the remaining stem. Too late. Bust it open and here's the critter



All God's creatures. I guess. Well this is one of a few I found, having a gourmet feast. Gone now, to where they may supply lunch to a few birds. Far from my patio.

 It's annoying that I'd succeeded in protecting the squash from landscapers and squirrels, and they had in fact driven their roots through the bottom of the pot and into the ground, as hoped. So the operation was a complete success except the patient died.

Then I moved on, repotted some tomatoes. And went on hoping.

I think gardening is best for people with great optimism and short memories.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry about the squash but look at that cheeky bug actually posing for a picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he had eyelashes he'd bat them! I expect he's bragging to his friends that he's a Famous Borer now. On them internets and ev'rythang.

      Delete
  2. Well said. A short memory really helps as well as eternal optimism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I continue to bother planting zucchini. I rarely get more than a few. interestingly enough, they didn't seem to attack patty pan squash but we don't like that as much and it is prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, darn it.

    I'm sure there's an explanatory passage for the title of this post...? My heathen background is showing.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Dead March that's played at the funerals of monarchs etc. I was paying tribute to the majesty of the squash. As in "How are the mighty fallen" etc. A bit obscure!

      Delete
    2. Ah! Enlightened, thank you. :-)

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  5. As soon as I saw your picture of the dying vines I thought “squash vine borer”. Darn things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expect your heart sank as mine did.

      Delete
  6. Having a short memory and eternal optimism are important qualities in a gardener...good thing you posses both. I hope said borer was stomped upon before being offered up to the birds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tossed the stems as fast as possible. Robins might really like them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!