Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Veggie futures bright

This morning's patio stroll, three steps each way,  found flowers which promise a harvest.



Brand new Roma tomato flowers just starting. It looks as if the roots did, as hoped, go through the bottom of the pots to get established deep enough. The plants got a good start  in potting soil.

And the squash is booming.  Likewise in pots but judging from its healthy growth, also rooted through the pots into the ground.



This one is in a race against time. The HOA is replacing all the fences sometime this summer, after our all thinking it would be postponed to next year.

 So the squash is in danger of losing its support and possibly being trampled. I have few illusions about the dainty boots of the construction workers,  having had to rebuild my plantings several times after "improvements" have happened.

And I have to get the boxes attached on top of the fence, my custom built items, removed to the deck before the marauding fencers arrive.

However, let's enjoy what we can while we can. And let's hope there's enough advance notice to take whatever precautions I can think of.

11 comments:

  1. Your plants are looking healthy. Hope they survive the removal of the old and installation of the new fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes are mostly safe on the deck. The squash are in harm's way. But I hope I can at least get a couple of squash from which I can save seeds so as to go on next year.

      Delete
  2. tomatoes and squash are done here. just too damn hot. I have never lived in a house with an HOA and that is by design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have its disadvantages, true. But I never have to arrange snow removal, walkway shoveling, leaf clearing, grass cutting, roof repair, that kind of thing that I had to do with limited means as a single parent in a detached house. Having done both, I'd say the HOA isn't the worst of fates.

      Delete
  3. Lets hope for the best with the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your veggies somehow survive. That's a beautiful bloom on that squash plant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes one wonders if things done in the name of improvement is truly that. Fingers crossed they leave it until after you've harvested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are now coming on apace do I'm hoping exactly that.

      Delete
  6. Tomatoes this year appear happy. Now if they ripen, I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if they don't you can have chutney. Or fried green tomatoes!

      Delete
  7. Tomatoes and squash plants look nice. Hope the fence people don't just show up and destroy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!