Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Three bean salad and variations

The beans are standard as long as I include kidney beans to vary the color. Some fresh picked Thai basil and thyme, minced. Then the dressing. Ah, that.

I haven't had any apple cider vinegar for ages and I've been working through the other, fancier, stuff, some made by me by allowing wine to turn, some given.

 The sherry vinegar was excellent, the Pinot grigio terrible, like battery acid, inedible, and today I'm using what's left on the shelf, mixing black cherry not made by me, and white likewise. I also have black cherry balsamic, ew, not a fan, given to me. Not including that.


Sugar also goes in this dressing, not pictured, as real photographers say.

It's okay but I need to put apple cider vinegar on my shopping list. I love malt vinegar but around here it's considered gourmet (!) and comes with a gilt-edged price tag.


So here's several hot weather easy meals.

7 comments:

  1. This post reminded me of The Vinegar Cupboard - have you read it? If not, perhaps of interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ve been doing the same with salads. I have flavoured balsamics. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afterword on the current dish: one day later the flavors are great. The licorice of the Thai basil, and the sharp white vinegar against the black cherry dark taste are a really good blend. One to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't purchased malt vinegar in ages so don't know about the current pricing here but it seems to me it's not that hugely different from balsamic. We have apple cider vinegar in the house at all times so it quite often features in our recipes. Most definitely a great addition to bean salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comparison with balsamic is exactly my point! I grew up with malt vinegar as one of the cheapest condiments you could buy. Balsamic has always been high end. And now malt has delusions of grandeur! I couldn't afford enough on my food budget to make piccalilli last time I fancied it. Piccalilli! Cheap working class food at one time.. I'm very old!

      Delete
    2. I should add that in the US there's no tradition of Brit foods unlike in Canada where they're not seen as exotic Foreign Provender, which means they're specialty, not easy to find.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!