Saturday, August 15, 2026

Tofu ahoy and video joy

I'm having such a good time with the daily short YouTube videos, a good reason to get up each day. Bare bones simple production, minimal editing, it's not the contrast, framing, cutting etc, it's the content. There's an idea or vision or feeling behind every tiny short. Anyway that's the plan.

I'm so bored by wannabe producers on YouTube who get all excitable and technical when they're not conveying any interesting content.  I've blocked a lot of copycat channels, too. You can't copy your way to the pleasure that comes from creating from your own vision, even with less techie skill.

Meanwhile today I remembered one more cooking task I'd forgotten -- red lentil tofu. I'd washed the lentils and soaked them, then, this morning, realized I still need to make the tofu.  Here it is cooling in the fridge in s glass pan


And here's the process after you blend lentils and water, and I added in Better than Bouillon to season it.  This is half a cup of lentils, one cup of water. Stay tuned till it shows up on my plate. 

Meanwhile here's the cubes, ready to become tofu katsu.

One big reason to soak lentils is to make them more digestible, particularly green and brown lentils. The red is more tender but it's still a good idea to soak it overnight. And definitely wash it well first, like rice, a ton of dust and debris washes off.

Yesterday despite a dewpoint in the 60s, uncomfortable, I did get a walk, and tossed a couple of golf balls back onto the course. 

Under the beech trees there's a variety of fungi, evidently a symbiosis going on, shoe in pictures for scale 


And at home, despite the heat and humidity, this is really a beautiful August.



I had a hummingbird sighting a couple of days ago, rare in this neighborhood, so that was exciting. There are hummingbird clearwing moths, butterflies and bees all over the flowers and shrubs. 

I finished the current bracelet, still need to do the fastening. As you see, this is a two sided pattern.



At this rate I'll have an armful. 

They're so light in weight you hardly feel them. I'm not pushing to make anything significant just now, it being August after all.

Happy day everyone, those of us who push ourselves need to try not to, at least for now. I need your solidarity on this.







22 comments:

  1. I wish it were possible to embed YouTube shorts on our blogs, like it is for longer videos. There's some absolutely hilarious shorts out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as a content creator, posh title, when I found someone had diverted one of my videos to who knows where, no asking, no permission, I adjusted my settings to lock the videos down. I'm not making original footage for someone to walk off with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your videos are just great! A calming brief look at your life.
    I just came from a baby shower at my next door neighbors and had such a lovely time. I only knew a few people but it was most enjoyable to share our stories. People can be so nice and friendly in the real world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words. A baby shower is such a sweet event! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. I finally remembered to subscribe to your channel!
    I was wondering when you'd make another batch of red lentil tofu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while. I needed a break from lentils for a while. I like making it, though. Now I have the makings of several meals. Thanks for signing up!

      Delete
  5. I think I saw a flash of a hummer leaving our garden the other day. That is the closest that I've come for awhile. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shadows in that one picture, a reminder that the days are getting shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't feeling shorter yet, but the season is thankfully cooling.

      Delete
  7. I love the look of a wristful of bracelets, although I tried it for a while myself and found they made me nervous. Too much stuff. Mine were leather and other heavier materials. Yours would do the trick. I enjoy your YouTube videos -- well titled and charming. I love seeing the views from your windows, too. Such a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick about bracelets is they need to be light in weight. I'm not much for jewelry though I like the look, especially men's bracelets. I saw a young Sikh boy playing in the street yesterday, bracelets on both wrists. He looked pretty cool. Thanks for the nice words about the videos.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Bracelet knotting is also portable for my knitters group, a big point. Just the clipboard and threads, ready.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful! I make a very similar at home bean curd. Different but the same. So fun and sooooo easy. Soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some, breaded with Panko and with a great tangy dipping sauce. The texture this time was great.

      Delete
  10. Impressed that you make your own tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy, and very economical. I get three or four meals from half a cup of red lentils. I love tofu katsu, and if I make my own I don't have to remember to order.

      Delete
  11. I just caught up on your videos and it was wonderful to hear your voice - made me think of Irene, although you don't sound the least bit like her.
    Nice to know you're up on the latest multi-bracelet trend that I'm seeing out there. I have several but never bother to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should do a bit more with voiceover. It is interesting to hear someone you've only read up to now. I'm surprised I don't sound like Irene, I assumed I did.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the reminder that those who push ourselves need to plan in some rest and contemplation. Last Sunday was meant to be that but I ended up gardening. The red lentil tofu sounds interesting - does it hold together in cooking? We soak and mill red lentils and fry the batter into thin crispy pancakes (dosa) but I'd like to try the tofu version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works exactly like the commercial soybean tofu, great texture, can be sliced and cubed and holds up to dip into filling sauce. I soak, rinse, blend with seasoning, then cook on a hot cast iron pan till it forms a stiff paste, transfer to a glass pan and pat down into place, an hour in the fridge and it's ready to turn out and bake for tofu katsu. I like to dice it so I can spear on a fork and dip into the sauce. It's very good.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours. They're often the best part of the post!