Monday, August 10, 2026

Leisure Interrupted

 Yesterday after cooking and bed making and laundry  I finally sat down to do nothing much.

But first I made a huge six meal Thelastofthe quiche. This involved the last of the dandelion greens, chard, mushrooms and onions from the freezer, with the usual eggs and a lot of cheese.

Dandelion greens are peppery and a great addition, and this worked out well.

Then I got on with the latest braiding and I improved my sliding knot ability for the fastener.


Here it is in blurry action.

Then I found myself considering a PBS Passport in support of WHYY public broadcasting. Why not, access at least for now, to good drama and documentaries, while sending a modest amount to a good fairly local -- Philly -- cause.  So I did, and eventually got it to work, thinking my evening entertainment for the foreseeable future is set up. 

So I thought I'd start with a couple of episodes of the newer All Creatures Great and Small. I'm so glad I found it. 

Such an improvement in the casting over the earlier one. The Scot Herriot portrayed as a Scot, the farmer Helen as a lovely Yorkshire woman, not an escapee from a finishing school. Anyway I'm very happy with it. And Diana Rigg as Mrs Pumphrey, perfect. 

However, here's what happened in the middle of watching. A bang at the door, Gary suddenly in my midst ready to, are you sitting down, collect the splitleaf. He was in a mood, I think severe back pain though he doesn't mention it.

And after the most commotion possible, here's the uninvited guest, the plant, that is,  leaving. 

Gary may come back for the tall palm today and I hope I can shove off, I mean return, the pony palm, too. It's like having noisy people finally go home, in the way, no matter where they are. I was happy to take care of them and now they need to leave.

It took a while for me to recover from the sudden drama, I'm out of the habit.

Then today the mail brought a great tiny thing.



A while back I think I made a comment on the Modern Daily Knitting site about watercolor painting and the minis I made in July. I think that's what triggered this lovely gift. 

Anyway they got in touch for a street address and here we are. Hannah is a terrific artist, as you see, and an MDK star. Nice people, with a great website and newsletter.

I also created a couple of cards, using the protective card stock Hannah had used to mail her art, waste nothing, to attach to the back of two goldwork pieces I gave to a friend recently. She had noted they were unsigned and asked for an identifier for the back of the frame. 

So here we are 

So that's us Chez Boud! I made a little video while I was out walking early, before the heat got going, now my daily YouTube upload.

But, back to still pictures, here's the local fungi getting underway. 

Just the start. After all our rain, it should be a good fungus year.

Happy day everyone, make art if you want, or delegate it, it's all good.




36 comments:

  1. Gary is a large presence, and so are his plants, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the title of this post, I knew who/what the interruption was.
    Oh, dear Gary. He is powered with jet fuel, isn't he?
    I love the art for art!
    I believe that quiche will tide you over nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so upset by the date sudden irruption. I've got used to peace!

      Delete
    2. Date? I never said that. Bullytext is making stuff up.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry she's in pain. That's no fun. Great to find good things to watch. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, he's in pain. Auto corrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood. A lot of it is the result of neglecting self care, sadly. Trying to power through instead of attending to it. A lot of men tend to do this, not wise

      Delete
  5. My sister has been after me to watch the new James Herriot series, too. She raves about it. When I have some spare time, I should watch it on PBS Passport too. My "to watch" list is a million miles long! Just like my "to read" list, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the state of public broadcasting, I'd push it nearer the front of the line

      Delete
  6. I know about babysitting plants. I've been doing it for daughter for more than a year. Not sure the indoor ones will ever go home to their new home because they now have a cat who will eat the toxic leaves. The outdoor ones we got this summer - iris, daylilies and such - that she took from her old house garden and wants in the new house garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These plants are too big for me to handle. I advised him to repot quickly. I'm so relieved they've gone

      Delete
  7. Ay, Gary. A whirling dervish without the grace. Interestingly, the moment I read the title, I thought, “Gary.”

    The art, yours and hers, is a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny several people concluded that. Thank you for the nice words about the art.

      Delete
  8. Dandelion greens sound like a good addition. I like peppery.
    Diana Rigg? Still alive and well. Ah no, died 2020. It must be an old series. She was brilliant in a tv series called I think, Mother Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the show is several years old. I think it was one of her last roles.

      Delete
  9. I've read All Creatures Great and Small, the source of all the various miniseries. Excellent book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thosr scenes were close to my childhood home on the Yorkshire moors. Familiar place named and language.

      Delete
  10. I've always enjoyed our public television station and always support them with a small monthly donation. So many wonderful shows!
    I'm glad Gary is getting is large plants out of your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly enjoying All Creatures. I'm happy to see the last of Gary's plants. There's one big pony palm he said was mine so I guess it stays. I had propagates a second from it. But now I have room to propagate a new snake plant and some succulents More my speed.

      Delete
  11. I love my PBS Passport. There are so many shows I love to "re-visit" and many I have never seen. My neighbor and I watched every episode of the newer Creatures Big & Small - you are right about the casting. I am still slowly watching every season of the Frankie Drake Mysteries. I keep putting them off for a while and then go back to the beginning of a season because I love them so much , lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still me. More praise of PBS Passport. It is so hard to find something suitable and appropriate for kids now that they are past the cartoons. For some down time we have been watching the travel documentaries on Festivals, Pies, Ice Cream Shops, etc, all around the country. Saturday was a show about Kansas City BBQ. Spoiler: they specialize in Burnt Ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great review! There's a lot to see for someone like me who has never been a TV watcher.

      Delete
  13. Fungi are so pretty for their brief life, then so messy when they die and disintegrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they vanish without a trace after a day or so.

      Delete
  14. Having never seen the original I've nothing to compare it with but really enjoyed the recent version of All Creatures when it was broadcast in UK. We also got a 'reality' TV called A Yorkshire Vet - most enjoyable - a chap who started his vetinary career in Alf White (James Herriot)'s practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I like seeing the scenery of my childhood. The improved cast is a bonus

      Delete
  15. We have had PBS passport people for awhile. I enjoy it is much.
    Nice painting and gift.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little painting was a surprise. It's on the mantel piece now, place of honor.

      Delete
  16. Well it must be nice to have the plants gone (or going), even if their collection proves to be a bit disruptive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a performance over a simple operation! This is why I love living alone. No time and energy wasted on discussion and dispute. Just do it. Done.

      Delete
  17. It's always fun to read about Gary's antics. Hopefully he doesn't aggravate his back further with hauling around big plants. I'm sure you will be glad not to have to haul water for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy to have a reduced plant population. Now I can use my energy better. The plants look as if they're breathing and expanding, too. I don't think the big ones were great friends.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!