Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Seeds, Textiles and Tea

Cleaning day meant I went out and did a few errands, like getting gas for the first time in many weeks, and, sudden idea, checking the Dollar Store just in case they had this year's flower seeds 

Which they had


And some fell into my cart somehow


And at home I admired my haul


Last year I planted seeds in containers and ended up with a whole cutting garden, from $2 of seeds. So let's hope this year goes well.

Knitting group this afternoon, talk ranged over families, catch-up about a young couple I haven't seen in years, Tunisian crochet, spinning, incontinence (program scheduled same room, after our group, I add hastily), the fire district budget, the Sock Ministry,  the current gallery show, and more.

Home to Textiles and Tea, with a shibori, Japanese style, dyer and stitcher. She works in natural dyes as well as acid and other dyes.












Her work expresses concern about the environment, and upcycling. She uses whatever materials work, whether upcycled or on sale at the local craft store. A designer and dyer, rather than a sewing professional, you can see how flexible her mind is. She doesn't like production work, and will move on from an idea that starts to flag with repetition. 

Her particular interest is in various Japanese forms of design, stamping, image transfer and dyeing, and she's very careful about the line between homage and appropriation, always crediting the origins of  traditional dyeing patterns she might use. Very interesting woman, on her website you can see more. Go there, she's fun.

Then supper, small but a powerhouse. Toasted mini naan, bed of steamed spinach, hardboiled egg chopped over, black pepper.

I'm old enough that my appetite is small, so it's important to have small powerhouse meals, to stay well. I can't afford to use appetite on snacks and that kind of non food item that's fun to eat but doesn't give much fuel.  This is just right for supper.

Then hot chocolate made with whole milk, while I watched the end of Northern Exposure Season Two. I've requested the next season, since I'm on a roll.

Speaking of which, are you up for a Haggard Hawks puzzle?

Happy day, everyone, so much to enjoy, life's a banquet, channeling Auntie Mame.






36 comments:

  1. A packaged seeds display has just popped up in my local grocery store too. A real harbinger of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the Hawks puzzle. That textile work is amazing! I love the detail and precision. I can see how it draws from Japanese influences.

    Good selection of flowers. Zinnias always make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never liked zinnias, always thought they were scruffy. But growing my own seemed different. I loved them.

      Delete
  3. You will have another cutting garden, I'm sure. That is some lovely work. I do like it. You do make sure your food is nutrient rich and it keeps you healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful for flowers. The textiles refer to climate issues, too -- the pieced dress with the dark hem line is about oil spills into clean water.

      Delete
  4. Hurray for Dollar Store seeds! I've planted a few myself over the years.
    That is indeed a powerhouse meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great meal for a small appetite. I'm interested that with your luxuriant perennial garden, you've also used dollar store seeds!

      Delete
  5. It's come around again. I remember your seed packets form last year -- at least to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember your commenting it was worth a couple of dollars to see if they developed.

      Delete
  6. I wish you could teach my partner about food. He eats the "fun to eat, no food value" kind of stuff and then declines to have a proper evening meal with me (says he is 'full'). Eating on my own in a household of two is no fun and doesn't bode well for a couple (or his health) does it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a missed opportunity, that's for sure. I wonder if he's still defying his mother's instructions? That can linger decades, if a kid gets into opposition over food. Maybe he never got fun food as a kid and can't get enough now? I don't know what the answer is. But I'm glad you still attend to your own food choices.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Isn't it great? One of the times when I don't mind stores being ahead of things.

      Delete
  8. There is nothing better than a cutting garden! I would think they are too early (but not for inside). This year, who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to admire the packets till about May.

      Delete
  9. Seed packets have a habit of falling into my shopping trolleys too.
    They’re such naughty things lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They put them right at the edge of the display, too.

      Delete
  10. Seeds, too, contain stories, which some people are still wise enough to hear. Those seed packets are devilish little things, aren't they? Kind of like baited fish hooks. We've snatched up dollar store packets too. You have a lovely selection there. I was never a zinnia fan till Ms. Moon's photos converted me.

    I have long admired your powerhouse meals. Even your snacks (eg treats for HS visits) are powerhouses.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Context rich clue! Yes, even treats can be good food. Mrs moon's zinnias eclipse mine, but I'm still a convert to the ones I tended last year.

      Delete
  11. Since I'm into potted porch plants, not sure about seeds...but I do miss having full size marigolds. The puny little nursery starts never get big enough to cut for inside. Mmm. You've planted the seed into my brain now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Packets of seeds are nearly as good as skeins of yarn. Oh, the possibilities. At least that's what I remember being told long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buying seeds is a wonderful lead into Spring! You are smart to eat the powerhouse foods. I keep trying with my husband but can only get a few basics in him. He prefers the fun foods also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a male thing? I notice women seem to be more nutrition conscious, but that may only be my bubble.

      Delete
  14. I love when seeds sprout in pots. Someone else in this house doesn’t have to the patience and hates to watch the pots waiting to sprout. So we buy everything already growing (and of course his preference is bigger). Those fabrics are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my neighbor, who buys large fully grown houseplants and misses all the pleasure of watching them grow! I start plants from cuttings for him to take when they're grown, when he likes them and I'm ready to move on.

      Delete
  15. Good luck with your flowers, Liz - such a lovely thing to look forward to! I just ordered my favorite yellow pole bean seeds, literally the moment I got an email notification from a garden supply company saying they were suddenly available. I ordered 3 packets in case the green ones are simply not to be found this year. I have always planted both, because I do enjoy my colorful beansalads. But if I can only have one, I'm glad it's the yellow ones - so easy to see them amongst the foliage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just looking at the packets is a pleasure. I'm hoping for a repeat of last year. I know you love your beans!

      Delete
  16. Having seen the clues I will change my word. Although both sort of fit - if my first one is actually one word. Not very good with seeds in the garden so might try your container idea. Although seeds here are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dollar store equivalent? Here seeds are expensive in garden stores and catalogs.

      Delete
  17. Yay for the appearance of garden seeds! Haven't noticed any here yet but I'm sure it won't be long.
    I'm intrigued by the final picture done in blues. Of course it made me think of denim.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!