Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Passementerie, dyeing and works in progress

Yesterday,  fast food from scratch. Tuna and cannellini bean fritters with steamed baby spinach, to get my energy up. Sprig of curry leaf plant which gives flavor even just resting on the hot food.

The Tuesday knitting group was great


The dye in the container is Green Shades,  shown by M, an environmentally friendly dye, this one giving that lovely shade she's working on behind there, very similar to the cotton I'm working in.


S. with her lace shawl in progress while she studies my glove pattern with future plans in mind 

Priti the librarian puts out a selection of different books each week to study and borrow. She tells us we're running at least through March, probably into summer then she'll see. I think there may be space considerations if summer programs need the space we're meeting in. We'll see. 

Talk ranged over home care for ill relatives, the local fire commission budget, the insanely warm weather, nearly 70°f this afternoon, blogging, tai chi, Eight pieces of Silk, countertops, green dyeing and more.

Then home to a pot of tea and Textiles and Tea, a great episode, about passementerie, which I vaguely knew from braid on military uniforms. 

But in the hands of  much awarded and acclaimed modern artisan, Elizabeth (Libby) Ashdown,  so much more. Weaving, dyeing, cording, all to create decorative edges for clothes and furniture. 

Elizabeth also makes wallhung art, working on many commissions at the moment. There are only four professional passementerie weavers in the UK, an endangered craft. She's by far the youngest.

She teaches and has written a book to help keep it alive, and she was a ton of fun to see, so full of verve. Her use of color is the modern vision, compared to ancient examples.






Here's a traditional use of passementerie work, on a man's Court outfit. Contrast this with her saturated, exciting colors



You can work passementerie on practically any loom, even a frame loom, though there are special looms for the purpose. She uses a floor loom as you see.


She used to run an open experimental weaving studio, seen here,  but it's in London, the building was demolished, they're still looking for affordable space in the city. She was working on this art form within five minutes' walk of where it was first introduced, centuries ago, London being the center of it.

Here's her book, first printing sold out, second due late March


She's such a great person to have on the series, generous, funny, very happy.

Happy day everyone, and I want to say this, because you can't know how important your words and encouragement are to me.







27 comments:

  1. You've educated me about passementerie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals are so simple and look so tasty. You may be having unseasonably warm weather; we're having typical Welsh weather: rain, rain, and more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. Another huge gap in my knowledge. Where did I think that edgings like that came from? I...didn't even wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting technique but I don't especially care for the neon bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always learn something here. She looks like a vibrant person and it shows in the colors she chooses. This was a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had seen passementerie but didn't know what it was called, nor how it is created. Thank you for enlightening me once again.
    Hope the knitting group is able to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard (or don't remember) the term passementerie...and it's so beautiful. I love all fiber arts! And oooh to the green dye that's natural...what did she use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dye is what I showed in the picture, from a company named Green Shades, if you mean the knitter.

      Delete
  8. Passementerie! Gorgeous! I have always been a collector of "braid" and trim never knowing quite what to do with it, roll it up , put it in a box and bring it out now and then to admire. So pleased that Ms. Ashdown has revitalized the art in such a wonderful stimulating way- Fabulous!! Thank you for the find! - linda sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. The meal looks great. I’ve been using beans of all sorts in meals these days. Filling and nutritious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple, too. I'm a great fan of cannellini. Mashable.

      Delete
  10. Your group get-togethers must be so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great for the spirits, fun chat with likeminded people.

      Delete
  11. These works are yet again stunning and fascinating. And those fritters are so tempting I might even consider cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty simple, if you ever suddenly need to cook!

      Delete
  12. We like beans very much, Boud, but this combining with tuna sounded very unusual. I'm not sure that Patrick would enjoy it as much as he likes combining tuna with chopped clams. Your get togethers always sound quite wonderful with like-minded folks enjoying and creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannellini beans are a mainstay of my fast food repertoire, easy to mash, neutral enough for spices.

      Delete
  13. Wow the colours are stunning. I’ve seen all the elaborate work on clothes in all the museums I visited last year. And of course the television watching period dramas. But I never knew what it was called.
    See I’ve learnt a new thing today. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people didn't know its name. This reinforces what you saw then!

      Delete
  14. How does your friend fix a natyral green dye? It is a traditionally fugitive colour. That weaving is amazing. I know of a place you could commission braids for finishing period furnishings etc but never seen it in such splendid colour. I suppose that completes the loop back to dying and the ability to create and fix colour with modern dyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a natural dye, I didn't say it was. It's commercially produced, as you see from the container in the picture. I gave the company name again in response to another commenter who assumed, mistakenly, it was natural.

      I never realized that passementerie involved weaving, always thought it was about cording and stitching. So this was a surprise to me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!