Friday, February 23, 2024

Misfits, art distribution

My favorite driver, Henry, brought today's box, cheerful greeting, put it inside the hallway, warned me to be careful picking it up, in full nana mode. I love Henry.




There will be a spinach quiche with mixed cheeses before we know it, ages since I had a quiche. 

And I had a sudden welcome call, neighbor friend planned to take up an invitation this afternoon, so a bit of baking happened, these scone sort of things, cranberries, chickpea flour.


We had a great afternoon, organizing the world to our liking. The main business of the day was for her to select an artwork from my wall, to keep. 

I've been doing this for quite a while, giving my work to friends and neighbors to make it easier for Handsome Son after I die. An artist's work is really an issue after they die, since unlike furniture and dishes, it's so personal that people don't like to toss it or give it to the thriftie. So this is more winnowing. 

I had always said to Handsome Son that he should invite neighbors and friends to come take whatever they like from the house after I die, but it occurred to me that then I'd miss the fun. So I've had a few afternoons like this, friends invited over for the purpose,  and it's such a treat to see what they choose. 

So, pot of tea, scones, chat and choose, and she eventually went home with a nice little ink and wash work named Four Sisters. All good.

And here's a reminder our blogistas don't need, but it's near lambing time


And heres a musician soldier playing in desperate Ukraine, knowing the arts must go on, no matter what

while luckier people get to fantasize about playing music on the balcony, the sound floating down.

Back when we lived in the Yorkshire dales, there was an old neighbor, a couple of miles away, who would come to his open door and play violin to the countryside. You'd occasionally hear him when you were out walking, no audience but the birds.

Happy day, everyone, however you shape your day. Friday knitting group this afternoon.




32 comments:

  1. I love quiche and those scones look good. It's a great idea to give your artworl away so you can see the pleasure it brings people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I hope that little girl holding the lamb is named Mary. What a precious picture. And what a wonderful idea to have people come and visit and then decide on an artwork of yours to take home. Whenever they look at it, they will not only think of you, but of the lovely little visit they had before picking it out and they will smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope. Especially all the funny stuff we laughed at, very happy visit, not solemn.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a very good Friday...and thanks for the prompt to make spinach quiche. I'll go pick up some cheese, since all I have is Feta and Parmesan. And more eggs too. I look forward to making that! Yes on giving away our art...rather than burdening our descendants with deciding what to do with it. I laugh that most of my pottery would survive a fire, while everything else would go up in smoke. So I need to continue to winnow it away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your quiche! That's so funny, indestructible art!

      Delete
  4. This is a very good idea you had, to enjoy the giving. It sounds like a pleasant day, good company and good food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She messaged me this morning with about those thoughts.

      Delete
  5. playing music for your own pleasure, like making art, well it is art. have you asked Handsome Son if there is any of your art he would want before you give it all away to others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has all he needs and he's thrilled at the giving away!

      Delete
  6. There are several musicians -- a pianist, singer and flautist -- in our neighborhood, and I like nothing more in summer than hearing them through their open windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, isn't it? In summer one of our neighbors teaches violin to kids and even that sounds lovely, drifting across the way.

      Delete
  7. I wonder about keeping that violin in tune. I think of the fiddler at one very cold Santa parade a few years ago. Did he ever struggle -- fingers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an issue. I heard some soundtrack and it was spot on. I imagine a lot of retuning was needed as she played.

      Delete
  8. Cousins in northern Norway mentioned lambing time. They don’t need a reminder either. Your baking always sounds so good, and I’m hungry at the moment. My mother was always giving gifts of her artwork and needlework, but left the bulk for me. I chose special things for friends and family and shipped them off, chose special things for us and shipped them home to Spain, and gave the rest to a local charity that was delighted. It felt good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good solution to your mother's work.

      Delete
  9. Nature's audience is magical.
    Your afternoon tea and choosing is a wonderful way to sort through things.
    I revel in the image of love ones going through my things as if discovering who I am, all the me they missed. Sad, for them. A smile maker for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting concept, people discovering you after you're gone.

      Delete
  10. That's my plan too. I'm not quite ready yet but getting there. And, like your son's plan, there are those to be invited after. And at the memorial, bring party favors along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, an online memorial, so you can all take part, is the general current plan

      Delete
  11. That’s a lovely idea. Giving away your art so you can see the joy of people choosing It will mean even more once your gone.
    There is always a place for arts and music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to miss the fun, when I thought about it.

      Delete
  12. Those "scone sort of things" look wonderful. The sweet lamb photo reminds me of upcoming spring. Bravo to the Ukranian musician whose artistic soul can expunge the ugly obstacles of war.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The soldier musician speaks volumes. Thank you for sharing, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the idea of asking friends to take your art work, a friend of mine had family visit one Sunday and to occupy the children, she gave them notes to go around the house sticking them on anything they fancied to have after she was gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that idea, saves a bit of strife if adults choose ahead and put their dibs on.

      Delete
  15. I have told our boys that when something happens to me they are to open my sewing space up to all my friends and let them take what they want. As my pile of landscapes continues to grow I don't know what will happen to them and suspect most will end up at the thrift store or maybe even the landfill. I'll be gone so I guess I won't care.
    Bless that Ukrainian soldier who can find beauty despite everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your plan. I bet quilters would make off with fabric, knitters with yarn.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!