Monday, February 5, 2024

Just another neighborly Sunday

Yesterday, early, I blogged idly about what I might do all day, and in fact did all the things I listed.  Walked, made yogurt, knitted, read Pym.  I'm still following a poem a day from my Book of Pomes, but lately nothing very exciting to share with you, a lot of Victorian rhyming couplets, but I live in hope.

What I didn't have on my bingo card today was Gary dashing in, mid morning, to say his daughter was coming over to help him rewire something something Manchester meat balls, which entailed fishing many cables through something something fishcakes, and the ends were incompatible, wrong caps something, did I have anything in a range of up to 20 colors to color code something something.

Oh.  Trying to think what I had that covered a wide color range and could be taped or something to cables or something. I suggested beads, tiny ones. No? Oh wait, yarn!



So I ended up sorting a lot of yarn, more than I realized I had, in search of a big color range. He needed two pieces of each. Which I found, cut, and loosely tied so he could find the pairs.


 
Is this what people do on Sunday mornings, or what? Anyway he was very happy when I showed up with them and I hope they work.

I have bags of dedicated yarn, one lot  donated by and for the knitting ministry, one bag for knitting comfort dolls, one bag of hand wash only, two bags of cotton for my lingerie department with some eventually going to the knitting ministry. 

This project caused me to assemble it all in one place, to search, what a concept, then put it all together upstairs in actual drawers easier to search through than bags. So that was a Good Thing tm.

Speaking of the lingerie department


Pair two, for actual use is under way. Pair one was a test run to act as a pattern. Here I've enlarged the depth of the ribbing for a good fit.

I was thinking about social craft and art groups after our recent comments and observations. Groups take a long time to develop, and  depend on a person or two showing up faithfully to create a core. I've started a couple of artist groups and three knitting groups, all of which are still functioning. But it took years! 

The latest knitting group, of which I'm a starter member, at my local library I'm planning to stick with, even if it comes and goes. 

The other,  established Friday group, different library, I was a founder member, about eight years ago, when for many weeks it was just the library lady and me! 

If at least one member of the public hadn't shown up, the library would probably have stopped supporting it with staff time and space.  

The second one I helped get going, at yet another library, then it floundered during covid, when they ran it online for a while, which I kept up with, then it moved out to sit in the parking lot in all weathers, which I couldn't manage. 

The second group library lady stopped in to the Friday, first group, last week and told me it was still going! She and I  founded the Friday group before she transferred to a different library, and I helped her found the second group there. 

Which all means if you want a group you might have to start it and keep it going!  It also means it can be fun and if it's important, you won't mind helping build and establish it. 

This recital has more in common with all the cables needing color coding than I realized at first.. all the groups and libraries.. you need a spreadsheet to figure it out, color coded by library and chronology.

I think the secret to the friendliness of all these groups is that they're library based. They're a tax supported community service, meant to foster social connections.  I hear less happy reports about local yarn store groups,  who are more about wanting members to shop there for yarns and patterns, not to bring their own, well, it's a business, cliques developing, and generally more about promoting lessons than friendly groups. Different needs and motivation.

Happy day everyone, just shows when you're lying in bed wondering about your day, you might be surprised at how it develops.







30 comments:

  1. I wish I could be more like you. I’m not a “group” person, although I always look with admiration at those who are. It makes life so much richer and more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I'd never thought about, being a group person. currently groups are my only social experience, living alone, so I hadn't thought of it. Thank you, a new aspect there.

      Delete
  2. People with their own "agendas" are deadly to any group. Groups work best and last longest when they are casual, non-hierarchical and simply serve the purpose of fostering connections and community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think attempts to exert control turn people away.

      Delete
  3. Mitchell is right. You are a group person and you are all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're right. I just can't deal with people for long, so I think of myself as a loner. This is a new idea, thank you. If Mitchell and Mary both say it, it must be right.

      Delete
  4. I am also not a group person. It didn't matter much when I was younger, but it would be a benefit to me now, having more social interaction. You came through for Gary once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could branch out and find a group? Online if in person isn't on. Just to try it?

      Delete
  5. Brilliant solution to another of Gary's dilemmas...good thinking! Served a secondary purpose of getting your hands on your stash which helps spark new creative ideas so a win/win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save me from any more ideas! There's already a crowd of them. But seeing the stash was good, to remind me what's there, yes.

      Delete
  6. sort of like yoga class. when I first started going Abby would have anywhere from a dozen or 15 participants but as the years wore on she lost the space we were meeting in (building got sold) and it jumped around until where we are now so lost a lot of people (plus she doesn't really promote the class anymore). now we have about 6 or 7 regulars but not all of those show up every time. sometimes there's just two besides Abby. but that's the thing, the hardest part about being part of a group activity is showing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showing up, making an effort, yes, that's the secret sauce. I think you've got a lot out of your yoga activity.

      Delete
  7. You definitely had an interesting episode of new use of yarn! I agree about groups, having started a few, which evolved, and then were no longer interesting to others. I'm glad to be part of a few that seem to exist because others are in charge...which is my preference these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there comes a point when you're happy to let someone else do the heavy lifting. I'm there, too, delighted to support and encourage, not run.

      Delete
  8. "Manchester meat balls" stopped me for a sec until I figured out what you were doing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought people might be wait, what was that, where's my glasses at first!

      Delete
  9. A group is more than one. Less than five.
    Knitted knickers - the most brilliant idea ever! You win the championship of all bright and pragmatic ideas! Your energy is like the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manchester meatballs? okay. How great that you and Gary have such a co-neighbourly group going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a few other members, old friends. Yes, it's good.

      Delete
  11. Our book club ended with Covid and hasn’t managed to start again. I really enjoyed it too but I am not ready to start another. We had it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the library will start it up again? That's usually a library initiative rather than a volunteer one.

      Delete
  12. I’ve not gone to any group activities for a while now. Covid just made get out of the habit I think. And I’m just as happy to stay home and craft to my heart’s content
    Without the pressure to buy, or contribute to chatter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That suits you right now. Maybe there will be a time when you feel like a group again. Maybe not, too.

      Delete
  13. I agree with you re community based groups vs shop based although there was one fantastic shop I used to go to and sit and knit and crochet with a small group. They were never pushy but had such gorgeous yarn it was hard not to purchase! If you didn't purchase they charged a small fee to cover tea, coffee and chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if you were an ideal group member in that shop. Snacks, too, huh?

      Delete
  14. I am glad you were able to help Gary and daughter. I was rubbish at knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have done this project, though, no knitting involved. I was glad to help. He often runs situations by me to get ideas on how to fix them.

      Delete
  15. The recitation on knitting groups sounds a bit like how our repair cafes are set up and run. I haven't got involved in the administration of ours but it seems to be well enough supported these days (repairers and public in need of repairs) that it has become an established feature of our community. And so, I hope are your working knitting groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the routine situations we have to deal with is people expecting to be taught, thinking it's free knitting classes, and we'll help up to a point, but redirect people to classes or YouTube, which is not always received gracefully.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!