Friday, February 9, 2024

Misfits, knitting and Tunisian crochet


 Misfits arrived early, cheerful carrier, items ready to include in yesterday's food prep.






The spaghetti and parmesan were lunch, with spaghetti sauce I'd frozen last week. More berries, these definitely blackberries, black, globe shaped, more seedy, and a good dessert with yogurt and a sprinkle of cane sugar.

Later the parsley went into a naan bread with tuna caper salad and cheddar for a supper tuna melt. I think I'm doing justintime  ordering -- food into immediate rotation. 

At this point I don't need to cook for a couple of days, what with soup in the freezer, the chickpea bread, extra spaghetti, and a fairly new batch of yogurt.

So I can turn to other interests. The second Pant is completed, needs seaming and finishing. And a new friend in fiber said she was interested in learning Tunisian crochet, so I promptly referred her to YouTube. I'll probably help when I next see her, if she wants. 

Meanwhile she rekindled my interest, and I cast on a little sample in Simple Stitch, which makes a good fabric. You see it on the hook here, bottom right. It's a cross between crochet and knitting, and an interesting change from both.

I think I've found a kindred spirit -- she loves any fiberart form, spins, knits, is now interested in checking on Textiles and Tea. And she lives in my old neighborhood, where she's surprised to find that she and her husband are now the oldest around. I know that feeling.

The Haggard Hawks puzzle answer, which quite a few people were onto quickly was

FOLKLORE

Yesterday I didn't feel like walking, though the weather was sunny and cool, but I did the chair squats and hip stretches on the stairs -- vital if you spend any time sitting in unfriendly library chairs, which stack nicely and don't like humans. 

Then I caught a little extract from The Boyfriend, a sixties musical set in the thirties, lovely swingy music. So I danced, singing, about the living room.

In uni, my actual boyfriend played in the dramatic society production of The Boyfriend, so that was a saunter down memory lane. I was engaged to him, until family oppo to a dreaded Catholic, me, broke it up. Probably a lucky escape from the mother in law from hell, and a husband who deferred to her, I realized later. 

Then I was engaged to another guy, considered a catch, who proved not to be, and I broke up with him. His mom was lovely, and if I could have had her as a MIL without her son, I'd have done it. 

All this time, Handsome Partner was waiting, biding his time. He'd told my best friend, whose lab he supervised as a graduate student, that as soon as he saw me, at a party we threw, he had decided to marry me. 

Which, three years, and two engagements later, he did! Next week is our sixty-first wedding anniversary. He checked out thirteen years early, but oh well. He knew how to play the long game.

Happy day, everyone, a prompt just came up on my feed asking me to consider where I might be in five, or ten, years. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that, but meanwhile I'm dancing in the living room!





27 comments:

  1. Always great to find a kindred spirit! Enjoy your new friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A kindred spirit, good food and a stroll down memory lane. Can't beat that! I am the non-Catholic who married two Catholics and was engaged to another.The first MIL was wonderful, the second not so much. Keep on dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that The Boyfriend movie version with Twiggy in it? I have a special memory concerning that movie.
    Sounds like you were a most discerning young woman when it came to choosing a partner and you chose right!
    I am so jealous of your needlework skills. I wish I had applied myself to learning more when I was younger. I know, I know! It's never too late and yet, I feel it is. I don't think I've ever been any good at keeping the correct tension, whether knitting or crocheting and that is a very important part of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original stage version, Julie Andrews. I don't know a movie version!
      I think fiber arts favor certain kinds of hands, not entirely a matter of just applying yourself, really. But it's easier if you've had good teachers, even if they were just older relatives you watched.

      Delete
  4. The man who became your husband knew you were worth waiting for, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he certainly knew persistence. Probably why he was a good researcher.

      Delete
  5. I never did see The Boyfriend. I’m going to practice dancing in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple stitch is intriguing...I haven't really mastered crochet.and tend to knit in the round.
    Shopping then prepping food for a few days at a time is sensible, as it gives you time and headspace to get on with interesting activities!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I like to cook but not daily. Thanks for coming in.

      Delete
  7. I was going to say that I may never have had real Parmesan, but I think I have at restaurants. We use the more powdery kind at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth the price, to get the real thing. That way you're not buying desiccant, to keep the powder shakeable.

      Delete
  8. Must laugh out loud. I acted in The Boyfriend in college. All I remember is flubbing one of my lines when I saw my parents watching me. And loving the costumes we wore too! Now I have to search for the music!! Keep on dancing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find various versions on YouTube. Definitely dance!

      Delete
  9. I love the look of Tunisian crochet. I’ve never tried it. Might be the new thing I learn this year.
    I’m glad you found your Prince Charming and had your happy ending Keep dancing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd do great Tunisian crochet, go for it.

      Delete
  10. Dancing in the living room sounds like fun. I sometimes do in my sewing room but would never (!!!!) indulge in such a pursuit were anyone watching.
    Sounds like you had narrow escapes in the marriage department - obviously meant to be so Handsome Partner could swoop in and claim the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking at all you do with your Misfits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Handsome Partner knew he was on to a good thing.
    Keep dancing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kindred spirit to enjoy your crafting with.........what a bonus. You do very well with your misfits. The variegated colors are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was married before this one. His family did not like me and my family did not like him but he was my ticket out from under my father's thumb. he turned out to be a lazy bum druggie who quit his job six months after we married and never had a steady job after that. so my family was right and his was wrong since I was the breadwinner and kept the house and cooked while he laid in bed all day watching TV. divorced him 3 1/2 years later and sent his sorry ass back to his mother. years later he called me just to tell me that somehow it was my fault that he couldn't develop any long term relationships with other women. I hung up on him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!