Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Tiny bouquet, warping and Textiles and Tea

Yesterday I found carpets of violets, chickweed and henbit everywhere I was walking, so a few flowers came home with me

Short lived but lovely. Sitting on an antique piece of crochet I acquired with a lot of other pieces on Freecycle years ago.

And I set up the next scarf, this one for me, handwash wool. I used a long knitted scarf to measure the warp length. Much longer than the first, where various mishaps shortened the warp threads as I went.



This is half the threads threaded onto the heddle, the warp being strung between the post on the windowsill and the pasta machine clamp on a heavy chair. The color is Forest.

In the afternoon, ready for Textiles and Tea with Maria Sigma, I baked ANZAC biscuits (cookies in north America)





A couple of them went next door to Gary along with a rapid lesson on the significance, and he'd never heard of any of it, so now he knows.

Then I was ready for t and t


with this young Greek weaver, who moved from Athens to London to continue her textile education. She's devoted to sustainable materials and methods, natural colors and a minimum of loom waste.

She's in galleries in New York, London and Athens and works mainly on commission. She's also written two books, one of them for children. Take a look









The piece shown above the books has touches of silk, but she uses mainly wool and cotton, and avoids loom waste wherever she can, or finds ways to recycle and reuse it. A very modern outlook. She's also an engaging personality. 

When the interviewer asked her about her favorite tea, the usual icebreaker, because "you're in London, you must drink tea" she burst out laughing and said "But I'm Greek, so, not so much!"

And yesterday I came across this


Thought you'd like it.

Happy day everyone, I'm off to thread my heddle. Literally. No double meaning there.. just keeping my heddle happy..





30 comments:

  1. Such pretty flowers. I love that you make biscuits before settling down to watch something. Trouble is, I'd eat them all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't manage more than two, probably just as well.

      Delete
  2. I like the colour you've chosen for your next woven scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the warp. The weft will be various other colors, tbd.

      Delete
  3. I guess her episode should have been textiles but no tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She spilled quite a bit of tea in the other sense though.

      Delete
  4. I love a tiny bouquet and the biscuits look lovely. All cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of hygghe or however you write it.

      Delete
  5. Those wild violets are all over my property. I have never picked any. Now I will. Weaving baffles me, I don't think I could do it, but I like looking. Those cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick the violets! They're lovely in the house, though short lived. The cookies are very good this time, better than the last batch. And you can enjoy a lot of things without actually doing them!

      Delete
  6. You know how much I love tiny bouquets and yours is beautiful.
    I should post a picture of the woven blanket (?) I have that for some reason I think was handed down from my grandmother's side of the family. I believe it may actually be quite old. Perhaps you or Joanne would know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had you in mind when I arranged the bouquet. And I expect Joanne will know more than I about the blanket, but yes, let's see.

      Delete
    2. Yes, do. There is the possibility it is an earlier settler weaving, or Indigenous Person.

      Delete
    3. I will try to locate it. I think I know where it is.

      Delete
  7. I so agree about looking for the good things, especially on tough days! Words of wisdom there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a good reminder. Very few days are so bad they don't have a bit of joy somewhere.

      Delete
  8. Oh your getting my weaving urges going. Maybe I’ll give it a go. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tiny wildflowers looked lovely Boud, but the pity is they only last a very short time. The treats looked lovely and delightful to share with a friend and a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth enjoying the flowers even if only briefly, I think.

      Delete
  10. Your little saying is just what I need at the moment, thank you.
    I would love to see violets growing wild. Australia's wildflowers, while stunning, aren't what I remember from my youth.
    I hope you enjoyed the anzac biscuits. They should be crisp when you bite and chewy when you, well, chew! Thank you for sharing their story. It is one that should be known around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biscuits are just right this year ,-- crunchy then chewy. Very pleased. Better than last year's try. I'm glad you're pleased with the sharing. I agree, worth knowing about.

      Delete
  11. Your Anzac cookies strongly resemble my ubiquitous oatmeal and raisin cookies that generally graced one of my two cookie jars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mustard napkin with the flowers! So pretty. I also get happy when I see a sea of pretty ground flowers. Perfect time of year. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice set-up, yes, simple and cheerful.

      Delete
  13. Love ANZAC biscuits although I'm embarrassed to say I haven't made any for many a long year. Maybe next year, or somewhere in between. Unlike hot-cross buns, they can be made and eaten any time. Thank you for sharing the ANZAC meaning. I suppose we take it for granted that everyone knows about it but it is probably only commonwealth countries, and even then, not all of them.

    Lovely examples of weaving. Not something I have ever tried but it does interest me. I like the way you use different techniques.

    I have violets growing in my garden but they are white. Very hard to get rid of once they are in the garden but I do like their smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important to honor ANZAC Day, and I do it every year. Even in Commonwealth countries, the younger generation might not be aware.

      Delete
  14. Now I have the term 'tussy mussie' in my head - haven't thought of that for years. Love the tiny violets.
    Of course you know I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!