Monday, April 3, 2023

Hot cross buns, Alfredo's German cousin, and warm puppies

Yesterday I had a visit from Billy and Gary to update me on the sick neighbor who was suddenly in the midst of a serious, life threatening,  setback, rushed into hospital at the weekend, is now doing better, and may get home today.  

We've had a tense couple of days. This was after she'd completed the series of radiation and chemo, and was hoping to start feeling better. Sadly, I think this complication can be a side effect of the treatment. But now we're hoping for the best.

My role is to be the person the caregiver gets to unload on, and I'm doing it gladly. Every caregiver needs a nonjudgmental listener who's been there.  It's exhausting taking a person into the hospital, all the treatment days, then visiting and worrying. 

Her daughter has been attending as possible, but she's  young, early twenties, and has to keep up with her job, so Gary has been very much needed, with occasional visits from friend's brother and sister who live several hours away.

Meanwhile, since Good Friday is this week, and I needed to make bread anyway, I made a version of hot cross buns. 

I mixed half a recipe of my usual wholewheat bread, and added in fresh ginger chunks, dried cranberries, and the zest of lemons and blood oranges. The spicy ingredients are symbolic of suffering..

Then I formed half a dozen rolls


Baked them 20 minutes at 450f


And iced them with the traditional crosses, symbolizing the sweetness of the sacrifice underlying the anguish of the cross. I'm mainly in it for the buns, though, rather than the religious observance of my childhood.


Pretty good considering the liberties I took with the recipe.

And I made fettuccine Alfredo, cugino tedesco. 



Fettuccine tossed with butter and blue cheese crumbles, with the last of the sausages. So it's Alfredo's German cousin!

This week I need to get out the Easter decorations, a selection of rabbits, cats and eggs. Today maybe. It's looking as if Handsome Son and I can celebrate Easter on Saturday, nearest in recent memory to the actual day.

Winnowing is not worth a picture today, just a recycle of a few plastic containers whose lids are long gone. I'm definitely conquering the plastic containers. Just a few more days of winnowing, then I can review the effects on my surroundings and on me.

Happy day everyone, anyone may eat hot cross buns, no need to be exclusive. But Passover period observers may need to wait a few days, because leaven.



31 comments:

  1. Alfredo's German cousin! I bet it was good. I don't believe I've ever had a hot cross bun.Hopefully your neighbor will soon be on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had a hot cross bun?? Oh dear. You need to remedy that. Bakeries have them at this time of year.

      Delete
  2. Being a caretaker is about the hardest job in the world. You are good to be a shoulder, an ear.
    I've never made hot cross buns. I'm sure yours were delicious and the ingredients can represent life, as well as a religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're about life in a larger sense, as is bread anyway.

      Delete
  3. I am going shopping momentarily, and I will look for hot cross buns for Sue. When they are done fresh in-store, she likes them. but not the pre-packaged and manufactured ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bakery buns are best, fresh as possible.

      Delete
  4. Gary sure is a good neighbour, worth his weight in gold. You too, for letting him debrief with you! I plan to buy some hot cross buns this weekend and gorge on them for Easter. I love hot cross buns! Carbs be damned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family Easter celebration is on Saturday too. Time is zipping by since spring came for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect quite a few people celebrate on a different day for one reason or another. It's all fine!

      Delete
  6. Prayers for your friend, family & caregivers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking care of a caretaker is a very important, and often thankless, role. Enjoy those buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to do what I can, so little compared to what the friend is going through.

      Delete
  8. I hope your neighbour recovers well - especially when they have gone though so much. The buns look mouthwatering - now I need to find my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I hope she can start enjoying no doctor and hospital trips, just getting well. She'll be living from scan to scan from now on, not easy.
      Go for the buns! This is the first year I ever didvtgem, and they're okay. Split and toasted for breakfast, or afternoon tea, good.

      Delete
    2. Did them! Not that weird word that got in there!

      Delete
  9. All good wishes for your neighbor's recovery, Boud, and you are right that a caretaker also needs care, so kudos to you for being there for Gary. It's been years since I've enjoyed a hot cross bun and now on a carb-restricted food plan, that enjoyment may have to wait, but then I could always bake them later as you have done. Best wishes to you and you son for a Happy Easter get together. We will be heading to our native NJ this week to celebrate with family and celebrate my brother's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Easter, with your additional celebration.

      Delete
  10. I'm doing winnowing myself. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing that word appearing in readers' blogs, too! I think it's more appealing than saying decluttering.

      Delete
  11. not being religious despite my upbringing, I don't do anything to mark those holidays. mostly because I would have to get it all out and I would have to put it all away. I consider religious holidays to be free days when the rest of the world's attention is elsewhere. I always wondered why they were called hot cross buns. now I know, it's the icing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say, you do you! This year, Jewish, Christian and Muslim observances are pretty much simultaneously happening. So a lot of people will be paying attention elsewhere.

      Delete
  12. So sorry that your neighbour is dealing with yet another health issue. God bless Gary for being more than just a good neighbour.
    I've never been a fan of hot cross buns, namely because I can't stand eating peel. Yours, however, sound as though I could enjoy one. You've reminded me that I should buy some for Resident Chef who really likes them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any candied peel, just used what I had. If made them for you, I'd leave it out.

      Delete
  13. Ohhh everything looks so delicious. Have a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, it was good. I do like home cooking.

      Delete
  14. Two of my favourite food groups - pasta and bread, especially of the hot cross variety. Even though I attended catholic schools I wasn't aware of the actual significance of the spices and crosses. Must have been day dreaming in that catechism lesson. Thank you for the tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the symbolism is kept culturally, not in doctrinal form. So it's possible the information escaped your teachers, too. I do love bread, all kinds.

      Delete
  15. I like that you'll get two Easters! An early one is always a plus. Your buns look very good. That's something we've never done. I should consider it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!