Thursday, April 6, 2023

Makings, all kinds

Warm today and here's the first wild violet I've seen this year, before I came across beds of them underfoot 

On the way home I saw Gary in search of me and found he was out pruning, and soliciting my opinion on where to cut. 

I suggested he start with the ivy that was growing tightly around the butterfly bush. And to give me the prunings. Granddaughter K was over, playing with Billy the Pup, so I explained about making soap..

And here it is, using a dedicated dyeing and fiber-boiling pot




It's cooled down now and showing signs of frothing up when beaten, so later I'll strain and jar the liquid,  for laundry.

Today's winnowing is proxy for Gary,  a doll setup, and he has to find a third section before I Freecycle it. 

K helped put the parts together, assured me she was fine with letting it go. I think she's probably outgrown this now.

Lent is now over, with the arrival of the Triduum, the three days of Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

So my Lenten winnowing practice is done, too. It seems appropriate to be doing the final one for  friends.

And here's the fabulous art I just found. Yes, before you ask, I have in the past used my knitting and crochet also old doilies, to ink up and print from, as an experiment.  But this artist takes it to a different order of magnitude!



 Check her out, she's lovely.

And of course food happened, fast food, shrimp tossed in Old Bay, and jasmine rice.



Note the high proportion of shrimp to rice. I like my shrimp.

Then in the mail this afternoon, wheeee


The heddle maker is in St Paul, the warping post maker in Ohio.

What with the terrific election this week in Wisconsin, turning the State Supreme Court liberal, ready to address the abortion ban and the gerrymandered voting maps, and the arrival of my weaving tools for a new adventure, I think the Midwest is on a roll!  

Yes, I know they're not exactly comparable in significance, but where you stand depends on where you sit.

Happy day everyone, Misfits hasn't shown up yet, so your produce unboxing pleasure is postponed till tomorrow.

To think this morning there was nothing on my calendar..you simply never know.




25 comments:

  1. St. Paul...my hometown! You are making soap, wow. I made soup, not quite the same. I also love my shrimp! I was on Misfits site today to order and did not. I cannot say I am happy with the merger. My yard is loaded with wild violets. It is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a few blogistas in your region would like the appreciative shout! What's not working for you since the merger?

      Delete
    2. They've changed some vendors and the prices have shot up since the last time I ordered. The minimum has also increased. I love St. Paul!

      Delete
  2. Ivy soap, is it a particular ivy? I might have to Google and find out.
    I think the shrimp, or as we call them prawns, to ride ratio is perfect. I too like them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be English common ivy. There are other saponiferous plants, so look that up, in case you have better ones for the purpose.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating to make laundry detergent like that. Another lesson à la Boud. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see how it works! This is a test, quite a small scale.

      Delete
  4. Yes. I will be curious to see how the ivy-soap comes out. We have lots of it here and guess what? IT IS INVASIVE!
    Your heddle is here! What a good day for you. Violets on top of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy is a menace. I don't know why people plant it. So making soap is fighting back!

      Delete
  5. I've forgotten all you had to say about the rigid heddle project, back whenever, so am looking forward to seeing what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to see you in here again. About the rigid heddle, I ditched the Beka, too unwieldy for my taste, and I'm looking forward to the backstrap method with the new more manageable sized heddle.

      Delete
  6. I look forward to seeing what you do with the heddle. I will have to store my weaving paraphernalia until this house is sold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a busy and productive day! Enjoy your Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crochet print... yes. Great!
    I'll take a closer look at that soapy water, because I have ivy in the garden :-))
    I also recently found the first violet... and now many more small ones in purple... happy Easter greetings to you from Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I notice you left a comment on my art blog, and since there have been only two or three comments other than spam, since I combined it with this one, the traffic has been smoothly directed into here.

      If you have English ivy, other varieties apparently not as good, go for it!

      Delete
  9. Triduum is new to me. This is evidence that I come from a more evangelical background than a liturgical one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you never fail to amaze me...laundry soap from boiling english ivy. you are a true pioneer living on the prairie, or something like that. if civilization falls it won't even make a blip on you. it sort of reminds me of the candelilla plant in the chihuahuan desert that was boiled for its waxy coating for candles. and the printing from lace. I went to an artist's symposium in Scotland years ago and one of the things we did was print off a piece of engraved glass using a dremel with a diamond bit for the engraving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've printed from a plexi plate using an engraving tool to create the design. It's a lot of fun. That was about when I was printing from knitted and crocheted pieces. I was teaching printmaking without a press when I tried a lot of experiments.

      Delete
  11. When I was little I'd hear my mom talk about Maundy Thursday, and I always thought she was saying "Monday Thursday," which, needless to say, confused me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and a lot of people! Its from mandamus, the command to serve one another, hence ceremonial foot washing and donating money to the poor.

      Delete
  12. I'm going to be looking forward to hearing your review on the ivy soap and how well it cleans.
    The weaving 'pieces' are interesting but of course beyond my understanding of their use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to report on the effectiveness of the ivy leaf soap.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!