Friday, April 28, 2023

A many-parted day

Lovely Friday. Morning weaving showed me why it was going lopsided yesterday -- the left side yarn was too fine a gauge for the main yarns.  

So I'm weaving a few picks without clasping,  to straighten up, then when I reintroduce the green yarn, I'll double it and see how that works. Good piece of learning.

Then  came a pot of soup, the weather forecast being for cold and rainy all weekend.

Dandelion, leek and parsley soup, background, with added rotini, in the foreground.


I counteracted the bitterness, dandelions, you know,  by adding lemon juice, a spoonful of sugar and a nut of butter, with milk. The pasta also helps balance it. Some people like to blanch dandelion greens ahead of time for this reason.

This is spring tonic soup!

Then off to the library to pick up books




This one is just wonderful for all ages, highly recommend it. And to give to grandchildren. Or yourself.

And there's


This is the weaver you saw this week on Textiles and Tea. All about sustainable zero waste beautiful work, complete with great photography and projects.

Then on to the knitting group, where S is making this shawl in mohair and matching sweater yarn


While M is continuing with this year's temperature blanket in mitered squares with daily high and low temperatures recorded.


Great conversation as always, ranging from a new invention in the works from R, endlessly creative person, to Maryland Sheep and Wool festival this weekend, a destination for one of the group, with detours into grandchildren, children's school concerts, and other wonders.

Home again and baking the rest of the ANZAC biscuit batter,  plus a batch of cranberry walnut muffins. 

I used avocado oil this time, in the muffins, in place of olive oil, very good sub. I'll do that again.

Then I caught up with Franklin Habit's Letter from Paris, this time about a day trip to Cologne, to see the huge fabric and fiber fair. 

It's targeted to wholesalers, and he gave us a few insights into this year's trends. All photographs by Franklin Habit, likewise the insert explaining the event.





As you see, color and more color, oversized everything. He points out these are just large trends and we can pick and choose what we do about them!

So that's where Boud is today.  Ready to sit down with a cup of tea and a muffin and Midsomer Murders.

Happy day everyone, I've had an art packed day up to now. 



23 comments:

  1. Your spring tonic soup reminded of my mother picking stinging nettles (wearing gloves!) to make a soup which was actually not bad. I think I have the puzzle although the fragment might not be right.
    Lovely examples of yarn work, there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a couple of possibles for fragment. I can think of three. We don't have any stinging nettles around here. Based on childhood experience I can't say I regret that.

      Delete
  2. Some of those Cologne sweaters are wild, man, WILD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that Ed Vore book. Thanks for introducing us to it.

    Chris from Boise, coming up for air (overwhelmed by spring).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love to own it. Mike too. It's really lovely. Short and true.

      Delete
    2. Oops, I see it's Ed Vere, not Vore - and our library has The Artist. Yippee! May need to buy it too, but if we buy a book, we have to dispose of another (O'Brien House Rule).

      Delete
  4. Oh my love all the oversized jumpers, sweaters.
    I’ve made blankets with a few of those squares. Maybe I’ll try making a jumper for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be on top of this year's European trend!

      Delete
  5. Those colors remind me of some of my clothing as a kid which I loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's a wave of nostalgia in the collections. I instantly remembered the era of psychedelics when I saw the pictures.

      Delete
  6. That soup is goodness in a bowl! My grandmother always picked dandelion greens in the spring. She loved them. Me, not so much when I was young. Those where the days without artificial fertilizers and herbicides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the taste for bitterness is pretty niche. For some people it never takes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, I had no idea that crochet could be so varied and interesting. How beautiful some of those patterns are!
    I love the metered squares blanket. That's knitted, right? It's going to look like a quilt. The colors are especially attractive to my eye.
    You inspired me to make muffins last night. I made the oat bran ones that I love with apples and raisins and pecans in them. They are so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the weather blanket is knitted. The weather dictates the color choices.
      I do like muffins with all kinds of nuts and fruit in them.

      Delete
  9. my sister was collecting dandelion greens. I forget what she was going to do with them. soap, make soap with them maybe. I have a friend who crochets temperature blankets. I'll have to show her the pic of the mitered squares showing high and low pf every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg designed that one herself, so your friend may need to do likewise.
      Must check with Pam about the dandelions. She blogs less these days. Maybe too busy with dandelions.

      Delete
  10. I've never eaten dandelion greens but have had dandelion wine my father made. I like the over-sized items a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dandelion wine is a different order of magnitude from dandy soup!

      Delete
  11. I've noticed a trend around the internet towards a resurgence of the granny square. I look at the designs and all I can think of is All Those Ends that would need to be sewn in. Not something I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything modular involves a lot of ends, yes.

      Delete
  12. Not convinced by your soup today. But what a brilliant idea the weather quilt is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a tactful food review! The flavor has mellowed today and is really good. Those temperature blankets have been all the rage for a while. This is her second year.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!