Sunday, April 30, 2023

Extreme Freecycling and Pitman

 When Handsome Son visited yesterday he brought a box of things to Freecycle, which I have time to do and he doesn't.

Earlier I'd found some outdoor use trays offered, and today became a Freecycling frenzy.

I picked up the trays from a nice lady, clearly a Freecycle virgin, since when I arrived, by now in pouring rain, no sign of the things at the house. 

Checked garage, no, steps, no, driveway, no.  Then I decided I'd come this far and got wet now, I'd do a non-Freecycle thing and ring at the door. 

For people who aren't familiar, the usual thing is to wrap and label the goods then leave them clearly visible outside the house. It's about safety, aside from anything else like convenience. You don't bother the giver, rarely even meet them. And I'd messaged to say I was on my way over.

So, nice lady answers the door,  I explain what I'm there for, she hands me a bunch of unwrapped trays. Perfectly clean, nice quality, but not easy to carry, awkward heavy,  large shapes, sliding around,  in heavy rain,  down steps. 

Anyway they're lovely and I'm glad to have them, better than I've seen online.


 Then Handsome Son's box of stuff









There were also food items like spices, and a few other things I can use.

Within an hour the stadium seat and caps were gone, even with competition.  So the box is very depleted now. A brisk morning's work.

And look at this, just came across it 

I learned Pitman shorthand at a desperate period in my life, early twenties, and I can still read these outlines. 

Maybe the trauma of the time, too sad to go into here, illness, bereavement, near starvation, drove them into my brain permanently, desperate job seeking. 

Not that the above dialogue is very useful in a business setting.   Just amazed at the rubble rattling around in there.

About the puzzle -- we seem to have consensus on 
Trip
Ship
Chip
Grip
Drip

And on the pattern of one syllable ending in ip 

But I have other options for fragment, all within the pattern. If we insist on four letters, I'll concede strip.

Slip (from a plant)
Clip (video)
Strip ( torn off bit)

This why when I had multiple choice at school I would choose the answer I thought the teacher wanted, out of a few options I could think of. 

Happy day everyone, let nothing you dismay! Warm puppies all round.




25 comments:

  1. Very different freecycling here, we deliver into the hands of the person collecting. I've met some interesting people that way and kept contact with a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've occasionally done the same but more often than not it's no contact.

      Delete
    2. I'm talking about since the pandemic. Before then, different expectations.

      Delete
  2. Pandemic was no contact. Now people are becoming a bit less wary and it's nice to chat to people, even if only for a few minutes.
    I got them all, in the end. Chip was my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a few people chose chip yes.

      Around here most people aren't home for pickup so no contact ends up as the default. Commuter area, out before 7.30 am, home if lucky by 9pm. Saturdays kids' sports. All that. That's why Sunday is a good time to post, people free to pick up etc.

      My own life is much more leisured these days.

      Delete
  3. My new hometown of Aurora, Ohio, does not have a Freecycle, Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if we have anything similar around here. I'll have to look into it. Sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very useful. You may have a branch or some similar activity locally.

      Delete
  5. Wow look at all the things you saved from landfill.
    I used to use free cycle all the time. But now I don’t have things to add and I don’t need anything so I’ve kinda dropped off the list
    Once I got rid of everything I didn’t use or need, I didn’t replace it with other things. Now when I buy something it’s because I need it. Works really well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in a great position! That's what most of us aim for and don't quite get there.

      Delete
  6. I've recently become a big fan of functional trays, specifically, large trays with handles and a deep enough edge to keep things (like my laptop and a hardcover book and my water bottle) ON the tray when I am toting it around by those handles. Speaking of which, I still use a plastic tote with compartments to carry my markmaking kit out to the paddocks, but if I ever find an enamel tray of adequate size and depth, I may switch to a tray for that purpose as well, since it would hold a bigger sketchbook than the 5.5x8.5" one that fits in my tote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These trays are great for getting up and down stairs and navigating the patio door without bumping walls and door frames. My current one is lovely for afternoon tea with handsome son, but too big for getting safely upstairs. So I'm happy with my current tray wardrobe. I may freecycle the divided one though.

      Delete
  7. I have Freecycled several things but I've never left them outside -- just usually wait for the person to ring. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! Or is the custom different here? I'll have to check.

    The trays look like winners and of course I love the puppy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a rural/suburban area where there's no concern about leaving items out. The people who get all bent about it are former city dwellers, so I think it's probably a city thing, where you can't count on the right person getting the items, maybe they'd be picked up by passersby? We don't have passersby!

      Delete
  8. back when my sister and I were going to estate sales, before I started volunteering at SHARE and she started volunteering at the county museum on the same day, I would pick up old cookie sheets for a buck or two. I use them to put the small pots on when I bring the plants in for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Around here you don't see that kind of kitchenware. Different culture, more likely to find rice steamers, woks small pressure cookers, teapots. Baking at home isn't big in the local Asian community. That's probably why they really like the baked things I share, come to think of it.

      Delete
  9. We don't have anything like Freecycle here though frequently if someone has something to good to throw away, they just leave it beside their driveway. It's a first come, first serve sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's like the items left at the dumpster enclosure but not in the dumpster, same idea. I've scored a couple of nice pieces of furniture that way.

      Delete
  10. Free cycling is such a good way to reuse items. I understand the reason for leaving the items outside these days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a brief transaction, though I think there are people who'd like to make it more social.

      Delete
  11. Haven't Freecycled in years - not sure if it happens here much anymore. I preferred leaving things out by the street, or driveway or in front of the garage, but once when picking something up we git a "tour" of a small Airstream camper. The owners were so proud of it and I was impressed. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a bonus! I think the pandemic ended some practices that never picked up again.

      Delete
  12. Warm puppy - aaah, how I wish!
    As for shorthand, I was forced to take it in high school and I must admit I hated it. I remember getting into a discussion with the shorthand teacher when I was in Grade 12 and I challenged her to let me take dictation 'my way' which turned out to be much faster than shorthand. She was not impressed. I never used shorthand after that despite being a secretary for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated learning Pitman. I think Gregg was the North American standard? But it's amazing it's stayed with me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!