Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Abakanowicz, weaving and puzzle answer

Today I found this in the MDK newsletter, text and photos Jeni Hankins, and if you're within reach of the Tate Modern, lucky you, you can see this retrospective of a great Polish artist.

I saw a great outdoor installation on long-term loan to the Princeton art museum, years ago, insisted all my drawing students go there, to experience abakans. It was a group of huge hollow fiber figures, unforgettable.

Here's some of what's on right now at the Tate Modern







Blogger's note: she couldn't get gallery representation and recognition in Poland in her earlier years because the art establishment, men, claimed that fiber wasn't art.  She's lived to disprove their claim. And we don't know their names. She's world famous.

Back home, the bits of weaving waste fiber left by the birds act like a mini abakan, to honor her.

And the weaving, after a few false starts, is beginning to get there. 

The improvised belt is quite comfortable, not a strain. Learning is happening.

Out walking today, lovely scents everywhere, the Korean spice bush on my patio, other wild blossom trees, smelling of nuts and honey.



This kind of experience is so vital for making anything, stocking up your mind with images and scents to add to your store of material to draw on  

I came across Corita Kent's art studio rules from her college teaching days, thought you might like to see 



And here, since it seems to be an observation day, take a look. Imagine yourself to be the size of an ant looking at these huge structures.


This was a favorite exercise by my mentor in art, Maggi Johnson. It resets your perception.

And I'm sure you guessed the Haggard Hawks puzzle answer, since we're doing art thinking today:

PORTFOLIO

Happy day everyone, lovely here, warm, sunshine,  enjoy whatever your day brings. Even on really hard days there's a tiny bit of good stuff.




 

23 comments:

  1. I remember when women (and indigenous artists as well) were excluded from art galleries because their art (fibre, embroidery, sewing, quilting, beading, leatherwork, etc) was classified as "crafts," not true "art." Thankfully things are changing now. And darn it, I should have gotten "portfolio" -- it seems so obvious once revealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why my purchase prize at the big regional show was such a breakthrough. First awarded to a fiber piece. As a piece of fine art. Last exhibit I did, not a bad finale.

      It's still better not to sign with an obviously female name though. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Love the colours of your weaving. They look like those trees with the blossoms
    I really like the idea of imagining your an ant. Those huge coloured structures might be considered art to them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the trees and blossoms were in my subconscious when I assembled the yarns. I hadn't thought about it.
      Yes, to an ant they might be like Abu Simbel.

      Delete
  3. I would be in awe of that work, and the woman, had I encountered either. Ant like, totally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see the documentary Rebel Hearts? A lot about Corita Kent and the closure of Tmmaculate Heart College and the mass exodus from the order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McIntyre closed the schools. But the college continued, as I understand it. He was livid at nuns protesting the Vietnam war, and generally looking for social justice. He was particularly vicious to Corita Kent, then Sister Corita.

      Delete
  5. That's how I store my grains and pasta, in clear jars in the pantry. A bug's eye view of the world is very different than ours. I'm still not doing any making or drawing as all my time is being spent outdoors before it gets too hot. I guess that's a making of sorts, working with the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gardening is a form of artwork.

      Delete
    2. The invitation was to imagine yourself the size of an ant, not the viewpoint of an actual bug. Ant is usually chosen a size most people can think of. A bug's eye view is interesting and quite a different exercise.

      Delete
  6. You are so right about the hard days having some good stuff. So important to remember in those times to stop and look around for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was advice given to me at a terrible period of my life, and it's served me well.

      Delete
  7. The abakans looks interesting! I may have to check that out. I have a book of some of Sister Corita Kent's artwork. I like "the only rule is work." (Or as Nike said, "Just do it!")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to the exhibit. Does your school do field trips to art exhibits? Corita Kent got into silk screening as a social gesture, to make art affordable.

      Delete
  8. F has resolved to go and look at them - the Tate Modern is not far from her office and could make a lunch time excursion or two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting. I love the tapestries -- they have such texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing her work in rl is a powerful experience.

      Delete
  10. Those pink blossoms are beautiful, and a Korean Spice Bush sounds exotic. It all sounds so very good for the noggin' and the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely while it lasted, a short season.

      Delete
  11. Interesting weavings that must have taken an age to create. I understand the battle the artist had in finding acceptance in the art world because it's the same with quilters. Most people still look upon quilted arts as being 'craft' as opposed to actual 'art' and often there isn't a catagory that they fit into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are art quilts recognized as original art. But the traditional ones aren't original art, so I don't know how they'd be categorized.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!