Monday, September 29, 2014

Yogurt returns to my kitchen

For the second time the Asian store was out of the yogurt I like, only had a bit of that Greek stuff, which tastes too much like candlewax for my taste.  So I heaved a sigh and pulled out the thermometer, and here's a home batch of yogurt in the making.



 Simple stuff: heat milk (I used lowfat here, since my usual skim doesn't make good yogurt) to 180F, see the thermometer clipped on, then move it off the heat, let it cool to 110F.  




Ladle some warm milk into your starter -- in this case the bit I had left of my previous yogurt -- and stir in thoroughly. Then pour the now warmed starter into the pot of milk. Stir to mix in.

The foil stuff you see there is one of those people warming blankets, never used for a person, but it seemed like a good idea for this purpose, because yogurt needs to be maintained at a low steady warmth for about 7 hours or more, and my stove would be too hot.

So I wrapped the lidded pot warmly in its foil blanket,  and set a timer for this evening, when it will go off and I'll be wondering wildly why, why, what have I forgotten, why are those bells chiming etc.  Then I'll finally remember the yogurt, pour it into smaller containers, and they'll go into the fridge overnight.  Tomorrow all being well, they'll be ready to eat. Or to make into yogurt cheese if I'm in the mood.

Another reason I didn't use the stove for the gentle warmth is that I was busy roasting veggies at that point, at 390F.  




Asparagus, red bell pepper and zucchini sticks, with tons of spicy stuff shaken over, 30 minutes roasting did it nicely.  With some left for tomorrow, to go with mashed potatoes.

Dessert was, what else, a tiny apple turnover. The turnover rate on these turnovers might be faster than planned.

4 comments:

  1. If I told you how many times I've thought of your apple turnovers this morning, you might not believe me. Turnovers while I swept the barn. Turnovers while I baked butternut squash. Turnovers while I emptied the dishwasher. And, of course, turnovers while I typed this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making your own yoghurt that's impressive. in the Seventies I had one of those heated yoghurt makers and it made the grimmest, sourest yoghurt ever! I bet yours will taste lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried making my own yogurt (yet) - this might give me the incentive to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another incentive: cost of 32 oz by weight of storebought yogurt approx. $3 cheapest, or $5 Greek. Cost of 32 oz by weight of homemade yogurt $1.34. The fuel needed is only a few minutes on the stove. Labor is brief. And the stuff's good. I just spooned it into containers and it's in the fridge overnight. The texture was very nice, too, nicely set up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!