Friday, February 24, 2023

Winnowing's progress and Together food

Yesterday I posted, still at the library,  before lunch, and got home to find the two bags of pillows had gone from the front step. 

A bit anxious in case the cleaners had mistaken them for garbage, though I left a note on the door, I checked my Freecycle account and there was a courteous note saying the Freecycler had picked up. 

Lunch was the rest of the pancake batter, two pancakes, and the rest of the shrimp, heavily seasoned. I really like the contrast between a bland food and a spicy one.

Then chop wood, carry water, prep greens, do laundry,  make a cup of tea, sit down for a moment and wake up two hours later. 

So it was evening before I got to the cookbook, and I really love it. Each recipe is introduced by the maker, with a little bio about her and her country of origin. There's a huge range, Somalia, Yemen, Russia, Morocco, India, and more.

I loved their use of spices -- baharat, which I learned to mix from Ottolenghi, berbere, learned from Marcus Samuelsson, the Ethiopian swedish chef -- and mixes they created themselves.  

And I will probably make practically everything in this book. I've got the spices all set already.

Here's a heavily winnowed down series, I could have copied the whole thing


Unboxing!






And speaking of winnowing, yesterday's is coming with me to the knitting group this afternoon, just in case there are any takers, before Freecycle and the thriftie. This is from one coffee table drawer, the one with handy bits of work 


Tiny purses, granny squares waiting to become purses or books, bookmarks, a jumble of things.

Today's winnowing, from the other coffee table drawer, the one I use for bill paying and letters, is destined for the paper recycle



And here's a salute to Ukraine, a year after Pxxxn invaded to take over in three days (!)




Happy day everyone, we got this. 


24 comments:

  1. I feel certain that your new cookbook will inspire many new dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's your kind of cooking! A lot of them didn't really have a recipe till they had to write it down! But they're great cooks, just have the sense of it, as you do.

      Delete
  2. Lots of fun new recipes for you to try! I love that Ukrainian dove of peace made from paper plates! Yes, Slava Ukraini!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bitter day for Pxxxn. I'm very sorry for the Russian people being conscripted right and left and thrown into combat with practically no training against an experienced and determined, if smaller, Ukrainian defending army.

      Delete
  3. Chopped the wood, carried the water and still did laundry. Super powers! I look forward to seeing what you make from the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for great things. I have a chicken recipe for Easter all picked out.

      Delete
  4. The cookbook sounds awesome. I look forward to seeing you make all the creations As for the big P. I wish for him to suddenly grow a conscious and a heart so that he can feel the pain he has caused and maybe he will recall the troups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if he's capable, but I hope he's forced into withdrawal.

      Delete
  5. I like to read recipes, but when I come to put them in practice, I may often partially alter the original. It may seem strange, but at a certain age one develops awareness as to the health aspects of various ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's strange. I think it's knowledgeable. I've already made a meal around a concept from the book, but my way!

      Delete
  6. That new cookbook will be a joy to use and keep you hard at work for some time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be interested to see the Somali recipe. I was born there but left when I was 6 weeks old. I would love to go back but that isn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winnowing continues apace. We love that collection of embassy protests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The demos are so intelligently planned and executed. There are more but these caught my fancy.

      Delete
  9. Wait. You actually use your cookbooks? Ive never heard of such a thing. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what they are doing in front of those embassies. It was fun to read about your cookbook. Have fun with trying all those recipes and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inger, did you see the presentation about Swedish textiles a few days ago? If not, scroll back.

      Delete
  11. Cannot wait to read what you cook up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's going to be fun to see what you make from that cookbook. Tried to get a copy at our local library but no luck...hopefully they'll consider ordering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how tuned in libraries are to foreign published books, but it's worth a request.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!