Saturday, February 4, 2023

Roast chicken, spinning, and yarn chicken


This is why I'm staying indoors, not even a brief round trip to the mailbox today.

Sunny, yesterday's cruel wind which kept the house cold has abated now, after felling trees, but it's not a good idea for me to be out.

Meanwhile I'm about to roast a plump little Misfits free-range chicken who had a brief life but a merry one, if the farmer is to be believed.  I literally thanked her as I seasoned and buttered.  First whole chicken I've had in decades.  Picture later when cooked with roast potatoes.

And aside from sleeping when I was sure I was knitting and listening to an audiobook, I've been spinning, knitting, and, halfway up the first glove realized that I was into yarn chicken. 

That's a knitting expression,  meaning knitting on feverishly in the hope of finishing before the yarn runs out.

No hope, as you see, with only this much matching roving left. So I tried my go-to Goats Magosh and found she was sold out, help. 

Another search through various Etsy shops in search of something approximating the color of spinning roving I need. So many sites only have roving suitable for felting or needle felting, not for spinning.

I did find something likely, and it will be here in a couple of days, with luck. I also fell prey to some beautiful sari silk reclaimed fiber for spinning, in a marvellous golden, yellow range. A present for me. Pictures when the rovings arrive. 

This afternoon I order Misfits and hope for eggs and various other items which will let me stay home. I made another batch of mix brownies, for which eggs are vital, so my supply is low. 

And there's my favorite supper of pita bread filled with egg salad. Last night's had blue cheese crumbles and kale. I freeze kale solid in a bag, then thump the bag angrily with my fist, releasing my annoyance with everything, and reducing the kale to splinters just right for mixing raw into egg salad.

So that's where we are Chez Boud, so thankful not to lose power,  fallen trees not having fallen on any power lines. I'm wearing gloves in the house though, even to knit and spin,  aged digits easily chilled. I even wore them sleeping last night and slept well. Who knew? 

Also thankful that my investment people who usually only put tax forms online making me scan and print, underwent a change of structure last year. 

This year I got actual paper tax reports in the mail. This saves my having to buy a cartridge for the printer, not in my current budget, and that's a cause of joy in itself.

I always do my own taxes, even back when they were more complex, hanged if I'll pay someone to do what I can do by keeping calm and following the instructions wherever they lead, also known as a merry dance.

One year a tax accountant friend of Handsome Partner was worried that I might be missing out on valuable deductions and persuaded me to show him the returns for his advice.

Two days later he came back and said how the heck did you do this? You found things I'd have missed. After that he didn't worry, I guess. 

The clever part about taxes isn't filling out the forms, which takes patience and calm more than anything. It's planning ahead to avoid accidentally incurring charges and missing legal  tax-abating opportunities. 

But if all you do is take a bag of receipts and pay someone at tax time hundreds of dollars to fill out forms, you're missing the most important part. 

Most of us aren't in the income levels where we need tax advisers moving money, postponing and timing income, all that. So we may as well diy. 

No criticism of people who hate it so much they gladly hire someone else to do it, none at all, different strokes, different folks. 

Keep warm or cool as the case may be where you are. Happy day everyone, may all the good stuff arrive in the mail. Keep well

And take a look at these women hand carding fleece for spinning. Look at their unlikely location, too!



25 comments:

  1. I’ve played and lost chicken yarn. But I’ve also won!
    Sitting by a river to craft sounds like a wonderful idea. As long as it’s not too hot, cold or raining lol
    I used to do our taxes and ended up getting hives. Every year!
    But we had the business and it was getting more and more complicated so eventually we earned enough to pay a professional and my life, and anxiety levels, became much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a business, and now I have a rental property. But it suits some more than others to cope with the mighty Treasury!

      Delete
  2. Mark is a CPA. Most of his clients are in the bracket where they need him. He had a client once tell him paying people to do things was buying time for himself. Of course, he could afford that way of thinking! Misfits whole chickens have been good. I've bought several. I freeze spinach, you just taught me another way of using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good observation, buying time for himself! If you can afford to. And have plans for the time.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny how knitting faster makes us think we will win at yarn chicken?!
    I understand those who pay others to do their tax. I love it. I love filling in forms and playing with numbers.
    We had egg salad with home made bread last night. It was delicious.
    Stay safe and stay warm
    -Caro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm fine with numbers. Not a problem to do the taxes.
      Why do we think knitting faster will fool the yarn? So it won't notice, or something!

      Delete
  4. Back when my sister and I had a business together, I applied to our bank for a line of credit. The director of the local branch of the bank visited and told us they were sorry, they could not give us a LOC because I prepared our tax returns. They had to be done by a CPA to meet bank requirements. That was fine with me. In thirty years we have had two CPA's; the first, and the woman to whom he sold his practice. Now she has sold her practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if you were doing a perfectly capable job with the taxes. And I darkly suspect the banks and the accountants are in league!

      Delete
  5. Mmmmm, roast chicken! I bought a rotisserie chicken recently from the grocery store. Delicious! Then I used the leftover breast meat and made a chicken pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking chicken salad and soup, now I'll add in pot pie, thanks. There's quite a bit of meat on it.

      Delete
  6. So far, I have done my own returns, but I do use tax software now since I am prone to making careless errors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hoping you were staying warm enough. Thanks for confirming that, with some adjustments, you're doing well in this extreme cold.

    We do the same with kale: freeze in a bag (after blanching), then bang off or chop off what's needed.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freezer, an unsung vegetable chopping assist!

      Delete
  8. I have no patience for taxes, but used to read commercial insurance policies to make sure they were correct. How weird is that? I send my taxes out as I totally screwed up one year.
    I don't know where you are but 8 was considered warm for us last week. Today we are to warm up to the 20's and rain later this week so it will make our roads icy!
    Oh fun!
    I learned a new term today. Chicken Yarn. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yarn chicken, really. I live in Central NJ, and it has been colder than this, but not too often. Today we'll be in the 20s f.

      Delete
  9. I played a game of yarn chicken yesterday and I won - but only barely. Only had about 5" left. Hope you're able to locate something that will work for your mittens.
    I started paying someone to do our taxes when I started selling Avon many years ago...running a small business (hah) meant all sorts of intrigue that was beyond my capabilities. I don't do Avon any longer and I suppose technically I could go back to doing our taxes but then I remember how complicated it was and think better of it. Our lady goes the extra mile and figures out the best way we can split our income to get the most benefit so that alone makes it worth paying her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when something is just beyond your abilities, it's better to sigh and pay up! But so often I hear friends saying their tax preparer found them a refund, yay. Then I find they paid $250 and the refund was $100. Right. Not saying you do this, names redacted, because they may read in here!

      Delete
  10. Those women look like they know what they're doing, sitting out on a sunny riverbank in view of a beautiful bridge. Who can blame them?

    I do our taxes as well. It's mostly a formality because we never make enough to have to pay anything after the foreign earned income exclusion, but we have to report it all to Uncle Sam every year nonetheless. I agree with your approach -- it's just a matter of patience and going through all the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother, a British citizen employed by a British newspaper but working in DC, had a tug of war every year, both treasuries wanting their full tax. Between them they wanted more than he earned. He said it became a hobby, writing snippy notes to both!

      Delete
  11. I've never heard the term "yarn chicken" but in my experience there is also "basting thread chicken" and also "embroidery thread chicken." I always seem to need about two more inches of embroidery thread when I'm doing a pattern.
    Is knitting faster to win the contest like driving faster when you're about to run out of gas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's it. The only difference is that maybe your car can get up enough momentum to cruise into the gas station!

      Delete
  12. The dreaded tax season. We always do ours too and hate every minute. The refund helps!

    Recently cooked roast chicken too, first for in ages. Lots of meals, fresh and frozen for later.

    Never heard of chicken yarn before. I always learn something from you, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always used to pride myself on estimating and planning so as to get little to no refund. A refund is an interest free loan to the gummint. I try not to let them have the $$ in the first place. Not always possible.

      Delete
  13. Good you stay indoors at those temperatures
    I heard wearing a nightcap/hat helps keep folks warm as well.
    Every time I tried filing online, I ended up in tears. Asks for things I don't know, then times me out or just goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I still do paper filing. My son who was a computer software professional for over 20 years, gave up on the state online tax filing. Not geared for his situation at all, just because he has more than one income stream! So he decided the feds weren't worth his time and continues to file on paper, too. And like me he's not prepared to buy software to help him send $$ to Washington!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!