Sunday, February 19, 2023

Rockscape, soup and an orange experiment

Today it got warm enough to spray paint outside, and there was sun and a helpful wind.

 So here we go




Seen out of doors in sunshine 


Indoors in ambient light

You'll notice the outdoor picture is the other way up from the indoor. That's because this is where you come in, dear blogistas. Tell me which way up  seems to you to be "right'.

It reads differently from different directions, so there's no right answer. I'm just interested in inviting your opinion.

This is still a work in progress. Tomorrow I'll paint fine gold veins into some of the rocks, and a couple of other things need changing.

Up to now, this is pretty much coming out as conceptualized.  Always a surprise.

And, as I was working outside in the chilly sunshine, wind getting involved with the paint, i remembered that there is literally nothing better in life than making art outdoors, on your feet, in the sun.  Spirits sky-high.

Meanwhile back on earth, I made a pot of vegetable stock


 finally including the last of the bag of dried seaweed I've been using for years.


The bag just says seaweed, but if anyone can translate, I'd love to know just which one.

And today's soup is leek and potato


Ending with a very good prospective supper, 


cream of leek and potato, slice of home-baked whole wheat bread with what my Mom would call "best" butter.

I also did an orange experiment. For many years I've been a bit allergic to oranges, not other citrus fruits, oddly. 

However I've found that some of my allergies fell away as I aged. So, since Misfits suddenly had blood oranges, hardly ever available in the northeast and a bit different from other oranges, also fiendishly expensive, I thought I'd try a couple.

Here's the first, in the process of being supremed. 



That's  the complete removal of rind, pith, membranes and pits, pretty tricky. It's a five star hotel thing, and I learned it during Handsome Partner's last years when he had limited use of his hands.

He loved oranges and this was a way he could enjoy them safely, no fear of encountering choking hazards. He was so happy when one appeared at his place.

Anyway I did this, quite liked the orange, less sweet than I remembered. But alas, today's urine output, I could pee for England, told me I was not okay with oranges after all. 

Oh well. Worth a try. I've frozen the scrubbed peel for dipping in chocolate to give Handsome Son, maybe at Easter. 

After that TMI, happy evening everyone! Make your own art or food or music or stories, whatever seizes you!




32 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your reaction to the blood orange. I love the colors in your art there and your soup stock looks great. My day has been slow and rather a bust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your day hasn't been one of the better ones.

      Delete
  2. Are you going to buy another big bag of seaweed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The herbalist I got it from retired years ago, so I'm not sure about a good source. But I'm open to suggestions.

      Delete
  3. What a shame you can't enjoy oranges. They seem to be such an ubiquitous fruit (like apples and bananas - everywhere in every season).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to avoiding them now, and I didn't love them back in the day. Not a problem really. It was just to satisfy my curiosity.

      Delete
  4. My vote is for the indoor variation - but don't ask me why because I haven't a clue! I just like it better (and that's a valid reason...isn't it?).
    As for blood oranges - they are good but we have to avoid them here because Resident Chef isn't supposed to eat them (grapefruits either) because he's on high blood pressure meds. Evidently they interfere with the medication's effectiveness. He can, however, have regular oranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the BP and blood oranges. I knew about grapefruit. Maybe it's just as well I can't take the blood oranges, since I'm on bp meds, too. Thanks for the heads up.

      The indoor one I like for the balance of colors.

      Delete
  5. I got an orange like that but couldn't face it. As for the two pics, I like the top best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the red juice put you off? I wish it had a more appetizing name.

      Delete
  6. I, also, vote for the indoor version. No idea why, but I like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t help with an opinion as they all look good to me.
    I’m not big on oranges although even now and again I do crave fresh Orange juice. Funny isn’t it. But I am strange lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought oranges tasted different from their juice.

      Okay to like both versions of the rockscape , no complaints here!

      Delete
  8. "I could pee for England." Now THAT is a great line.
    There is no way I could tell you which way up that art should be although I think I like the second picture's balance better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the balance changes quite a bit with the direction. I spent far too long getting exercise trotting to the bathroom.

      Delete
  9. Hello, Boud! I wanted to thank you for stopping by Marmelade Gypsy recently -- forgive my tardiness in not returning the visit! It's been a week or two. But oh, I bow down in admiration to your being able to supreme an orange. I've tried and can never pull it off. That soup look just fabulous, too. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned supreming from an Asian TV chef years ago. A minor but proud skill.

      Delete
  10. I like the first picture better with the pink peeking out at the top. My only experience with blood oranges is a friend made martinis with blood orange juice and jalapena infused vodka and it was terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty exotic intro to blood oranges. I like the pink at the top, but there's more to happen yet and I might change.

      Delete
  11. Love the colours in your art piece. Beautiful!

    I went through a period as a child when citrus would cause blisters in my mouth. I grew out of it fortunately. It was worth testing, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure which I like better. I decide on one, then looks again and decide on the other. I think it could hang one way and then the other, in continuous rotation. I was allergic to raspberries until around 25 or so. I'd break out in the most incredible hives. You know I always love a good soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not unheard of for artists to wire the work in two directions, so as to give exactly that option. A lot depends on the light, as well as the composition.

      I was deadly allergic to cats until mid life, when the reaction vanished, and I was hoping maybe oranges had faded from my sllergy triggers. Not this time.

      Delete
  13. Oh no, what a dreadful reaction to oranges. As for the rocks, the first one - in sunshine is the right way up in my view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light certainly favors that way up. Good shadows.

      Delete
  14. And leek and potato is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for the upper photo. It looks like a well-balanced rocky landscape (and quite wonderful!). The lower photo looks very unstable to me, like all the rocks are hanging on by their fingernails and about to tumble off the base and out of the photo. Interesting our various perceptions.

    Looks like you're putting those leeks to good use! Yum, leek and potato soup. I was just over at our "far garden" - at a friend's yard 6 miles away, where we can grow a few plants that like sandy soil (ours is clay here at our house). Six leeks are still awaiting harvest! You inspire me, if the ground is unfrozen...

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. The lighting has a bit influence on this piece. The energy's quite different between the two views.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite honestly, Boud, it was difficult for me to figure out the difference in the photos. However, I could see that those soups looked good. Interesting about the oranges still having a bad effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking. There's no right answer!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!