Thursday, February 23, 2023

Cleaners, finally, Easter cactus maybe, and other breaking news

 Misfits arrived so promptly this morning I was still doing breakfast.  One item they had alerted me they couldn't provide, so that was missing.

 But what they did send is lovely greens in best condition, and the makings of some other good food, maybe from Meghan's cookbook, which also arrives today. 

Misfits has also sorted their timestamp issue, so now they're not showing that they delivered five hours hence. Not a big deal, just confusing if a delivery doesn't arrive. Up to now the new partnership deliveries have been excellent. Me, to quote lovely Elena,  I am not doing the complaining.

I'm at the library as I write, expecting the lovely cleaners back at home, sorting the results of all this activity.  

They're  a big reason I can continue here, not being up to much housework these days.  And they do a better job than I ever did, anyway. So I leave the place neatish, then stay out of their way.

I had put the two large bags of Freecycle pillows in the car, yesterday,  before I got a request for them.  

Soooo, early this morning I trudged to the car in my bathrobe, hauled the bags back to the step, labeled them, put a note for the cleaners not to mistake the bags for garbage, and then continued eating toast. 

Then Misfits arrived, it's all go around here, so I hauled the box in, no time to wash the greens till I get home again, put away the freezer and fridge items, broke down the box and tied up the pieces for recycle. Then continued eating toast.

Before nine, a very early hour around here, all this frantic activity had happened.

I also noted, among the fray, that there seem to be new buds on the Christmas cactus. 

Maybe it's got into the spirit and is planning on being an Easter cactus, too. 

Speaking of great spirit, I have been offered jigsaw puzzles by a blogista, which I gladly accepted. The deal is that I work them then donate to my library's collection. I'm definitely up for this, and thank you, R. She doesn't have a library which lends puzzles, so I'm her proxy donor. 

This afternoon it's prepping greens, doing a large  wash, and eventually sitting down. I'm out of afternoon tea little somethings, so there might also be a crazy chocolate cake in my near future.  Today's winnowing is yet to be done.And I plan to study  the Together cookbook. 

I didn't have much on my calendar today, but it appears to be filling up.

Happy day everyone! Watch out for that sneaky calendar, it'll fill up before you know it, if you relax your vigilance for a second.

Oh, and the mainly accepted answer to the puzzle, no brand names, no proper names, is

 JAI ALAI

a bit like racquetball, but originally Basque. Few frontons still active, but I've heard of tournaments in Florida. 

I think Chris was on this very fast and if anyone else has alternative answers, please share.



31 comments:

  1. You've had a busy morning. I'm still in my robe! The greens do look perfect, some good cooking will be happening. That's a pleasant surprise to have blooms on that plant, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yez, I didn't expect the cactus to keep going, so I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  2. That vision of you calmly eating toast while activity levels start cranking up.... And that is the thing about the calendars of busy people, empty space doesn't stay empty for long. Enjoy your time at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see a day with no appointments on it. However life is more than appointments.

      Delete
  3. I can't find the word I found that started with J and ended with I - it was a slang word for someone foolish but then I came across Jacuzzi. Haven't heard of your word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there's jai alai in the UK, but it's not unknown in Europe, originating in Basque territory. Jacuzzi is a brand name, so it's usually ruled out. Now I am curious about the word you found before that.

      Delete
    2. Jagatai: any of various Eastern Turkic languages.
      jamdani:a type of fine, patterned muslin made in Bangladesh.
      Jiamusi:City in Northern China.
      Jiangxi:province of southeastern China.
      Those plus Jacuzzi is all that the great on line lexicographer offered me. As a way of defending all those who like myself chose Jacuzzi that is actually a family name from Friuli in northern Italy. The Jacuzzi brothers made jet pumps for boats but discovered how much people enjoyed a hot tube of water being stirred by one of their pumps. It is a trademark name but has become synonymous with any of these types of tubs or baths.
      My dictionary smugly suggests that JAI ALAI is 8 letters long because it has a space.
      :)
      Thanks I really enjoyed this one.
      Tom

      Delete
    3. Strictly speaking, jamdani is probably the only valid one. But we can color outside the lines if we want to! Thanks for all this info, opening a whole new lot of rabbit holes.. Me, I'm off to the fabric one, not surprising.

      Delete
  4. Whoa! You've already had a full day! Can't wait to see what you make out of your Misfits box and also, what you might make for teatimes.
    And yes, jai-alai used to be a very big thing down in South Florida although I'm pretty sure they used to play up here too. I just looked it up and it originally was played in Spain, then transported to Cuba and I'm sure that's how we got it. The name means, "Merry Festival" which I did not know but delights me. Thank you for spurring me into discovering that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Cubans who renamed it from peloton (?) fairly recently.

      Delete
  5. Busy is a keyword today.
    Donating puzzles to the libraray is a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to donate to a library with a puzzle lending program, so it gets shared around.

      Delete
  6. Rats! I knew the puzzle answer had to start with "J" but the second track completely eluded me. I still can't figure out why "jai alai" was the correct answer, lol! Anyway, glad to hear you've got more jigsaws winging their way to you from a blogging buddy, that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern for the final letter was the same as for the initial letter: skip a letter. I think there are enough Jacuzzi guesses we could say okay, what's a brand name between friends. And there's the point that jai alai is really a phrase.

      Delete
  7. Your right on calendars. After months and months of nothing. It’s now filling up fast.
    A busy morning so definitely rest this afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No choice about resting, fell asleep when I sat down!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had to hit the ground running today...hope you found time for a rest this afternoon. Glad the Misfits box was better than you were expecting and glad that someone will share puzzles with you and that they can then be passed on to the libary for other people to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The misfits box was exactly as expected: high quality, well packed. it's always been excellent, the several years I've been shopping with them. Maybe my wording wasn't clear.

      Yes, the puzzle idea is terrific, looking forward to them.

      Delete
  9. That was a busy day, Boud and it was early. Great idea about the puzzles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early for me. I know people for whom nine in the morning is the day half gone. I try not to get appointments earlier than ten if I have to drive to them.

      Delete
  10. So much achieved before time to get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops - I was thinking Jaialdi, which is the celebration of Basque culture that happens in 'our fair city' every five years. Idaho has the largest population of Basques outside the Basque country, and they know how to party! People come from all over the world to participate; the Basque Block downtown is filled with people speaking Basque, Basque music, dancing and food. Jai alai and handball are played in one of the few remaining frontons (handball courts) in the state.

    Your 'day before 9 am' was enough to exhaust me!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your answer though niche, is so interesting! I doubt if anyone else would have got it. And how on earth did Basques come to Idaho? That's some diaspora. The stuff I learn in the comments.

      Delete
    2. Sheepherders, in the late 1800s-mind-2000s. They've now assimilated thoroughly, though the culture runs strong. The newer generations of sheepherders are Peruvian. It's a tough life. https://footnote.wordpress.ncsu.edu/2021/10/21/basque-sheepherders-in-the-american-west-10-22-2021/

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. This is similar to Welsh shepherds going to Patagonia. It's all about the sheep. Shepherding is not for the weak, in any country, true.

      Delete
  12. You certainly seemed to be “on the go” (as they say) yesterday. Bad weather here, so we most certainly weren’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a while you have one of those days when you seem to get a lot done. These are balanced by other days..

      Delete
  13. this week has been full of early morning stuff here. I'm ready for a couple of lazy ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, after the couple of harrowing weeks you've had.

      Delete
  14. It looks like quite a day -- and lucky to have the cleaners. I've been thinking I need to find some these days. Can't do what I used to! Sometimes I have so much on the calendar I think, "How did that happen?" And it's good, but sometimes you just want a bit of a break! And I love that Peanuts cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally got my lovely cleaning family - parents and adult daughter - when my late husband was in his last years and I had 24/7 care to do. I just couldn't manage any more and hired them. Lovely people, good cleaners and, though partner has been gone many years, I continue to need them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!