Saturday, February 25, 2023

Joyful return to the knitting group and other exciting news

Yesterday, determined to get back before March, I made it to the knitting group, and it was so good to get back. 

Updates on grandchild pictures, now three months old, on knitting finishes. I missed the great reveal of M's temperature blanket 22, but she's promised to bring it in again.

Meanwhile, here's her this year's temperature blanket, with high and low temps recorded in the squares


And here's the planning spread for temperature blanket 23, yes, she's a reference librarian by trade


Here's that beauty by S, you saw it before, and it's now nearing completion before the end of February


And here's D's vest of  many colors, also nearing completion and looking terrific


And look! Not only this, it also has pockets! 


So good to be back. 

And another library within driving distance has revived its knitting group, which I was in before the pandemic, when it dwindled.  

So I'm planning on getting there when I can, too. Different day, they're good at scheduling. Afternoon, much better for me than morning.

And last evening, supper, not a Together recipe, but very much in their spirit. 

Diced yellow potatoes, heavily seasoned with baharat, roasted, eggs scrambled with yogurt, scallions and Swiss chard. Decorated with Italian parsley. I think they'd approve. It's very much like the green omelette recipe.

I did check for Somali recipes, Caro, and found that Somali food ranges over a lot of cultures, because of history. 

They have flatbread like the Ethiopian in the book, samosas like the Indian ones in the book, and their main spice mix, xawaash, is very much like baharat, which is like the Yemeni hawaij.  Thanks for the question,  I learned a bit in trying to answer it. It looks as if Somali food is all over the book though not in individual recipes.

Back home, return of cold weather, maybe even snow, it's spaghetti and turkey meatballs.

The current reading is

He looks familiar to anyone who watched Parks and Recreation, where he played Tom Swanson. Turns out he's a skilled woodworker, can cook, sew, a lot of skills. He follows the wisdom of Wendell Berry and just finished the audiobook version of one of his publications. 

I listened to him this morning on Krista Tippett's podcast, and if you're not familiar with her On Being, continuing series, you might want to check her out. Writings and podcasting. I've followed her for years, used to catch her at weird early morning times on public radio. 

Anyway I decided I'd read something by him.

He has great respect for making and makers, care for the earth, and getting spiritual sustenance from daily activity. 

I was knitting a Ministry sock while I listened, and I finally realized what I'm doing in Lent. Not for Lent, just adopting the forty day period for thoughtful winnowing.

And as I knitted and listened, I realized a good day for me is one where I do for other people, the Sock and Glove Ministry, the winnowing to share around, and this blog to entertain you, dear friends, then do for the earth, conserve water and power, then do for me, good food cooked cheerfully, and new learning. 

There's more, and there's overlap. But that's my idea of a terrific life, since all your days add up to your life.

Meanwhile in case you think things are getting a bit heavy and solemn around here

Hello back! Happy day everyone, enjoy your best day.




23 comments:

  1. Oh, my...cuteness! Happy day, you are back with the knitting group. I'm so glad.What you are doing in lent is what we should all do in life, yes? I need to remember this. I need to look up baharat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out baharat. It's a great mix you can do at home. I don't know if everyone should do what I do. But I think mindfulness is good.

      Delete
  2. Aahhh lambing season again, very sweet new life. We like your recipe for terrific life. Purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lambs! Standing almost immediately. Leaping soon.

      Delete
  3. I know that everyone was so happy to see you back at knitting group. I love that colorful vest and by golly, I may just start a shawl/wrap using various colors.
    I listened to a book by Offerman and his wife, Meghan Mullally, "The Greatest Love Story Ever Told." I was not overly impressed but it was entertaining. Perhaps I would like this one better. I do respect his skills and interests in making things by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read him, and haven't made the shift from his character in P&R yet! We'll see.

      Delete
  4. Aw. So much sweetness in that last photo! A bonus. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally made it to knitting this week so many beautiful projects. I might have to take pics to show you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. It's always interesting to see wips.

      Delete
  6. Isn't that street fabulous?
    Hard for me to say which is more exotic - the food or the knitting. Skilled knitters are magicians with yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for mentioning Krista Tippett's podcast. I needed a new suggestion for using a free spotify app I was talked into dowloading onto my phone sometime last year. I will enjoy listening to this interview with Nick Offerman, and maybe more episodes of Tippett's. I like (and agree with) your description of a good day. Now I'm going to catch up here and see what you're winnowing now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like tippetts thinking, deeply spiritual, very probing and honest.

      Delete
    2. I started listening to the interview of Nick Offerman this afternoon. It's not long, but I got pulled away and didn't finish it yet. I love both Krista and Mr. Offerman! I'll be listening to more of her. Thanks again, Liz!

      Delete
  8. That sounds like a perfect life to me, Boud. Thank you for sharing the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the information about Somali food. It does make sense as I was born in what was the British Protectorate of Somaliland and there was French and German Somalia as well as all the influences of the cultures that lived and travelled through that area. Not a happy history.
    Your knitting group is very talented. The lamb is delightful - looks like a knitted toy. And thank you for sharing your terrific life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about the British involvement. Yes, you fill out the story very helpfully.

      Delete
  10. So many talented people in your knitting group! And what a sweet wee lamb only 15 minutes old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he lovely? If they didn't have such sharp little hooves, you'd hug him.

      Delete
  11. Definitely had an awwwww moment over that wee lamb!
    I have to admire someone who has done not only one, but working on a second, temperature blanket. That's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed, too. I think I'd retire after one.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!