Monday, February 13, 2023

Signs of spring and whimsy

Yesterday we were talking about various things including chaffinches and exiled Flemish weavers in England and other things. At least I was and you were humoring me.

Just to prove something or other, my current reading, as of yesterday, recommended by Northern Reader whose blog is a model of book reviews, is this 


On audio, to knit and spin to.

And, more excitingly, this


an account of a group of Londoners who jointly rented a massive country mansion right after world war 2,  as a huge relief from wartime London. For better and, eventually, worse.

But here's the thing: they rented a manor house built in  Kent, in the Elizabethan era by, drumroll, exiled Flemish weavers!! 

And it came with a resident experienced countryman gardener. Who taught one of the children all kinds of skills. Including, more drumroll,  finding a chaffinch nest with eggs in it. More exclamation points!!!

It's very funny reading, from a writer I didn't know before but will look up now.

Today did not start out promising, feeling wobbly and not very capable, but I thought I'd at least get out and make a return at the  UPS store, of lightbulbs from Amazon, which turned out to be the wrong size.  

I'd done all the steps of getting the qr code you show them to scan in order to get a receipt. No wrapping, just take in the item as it arrived in the mfrs packaging, to the nearest UPS  store.  They collect them, pack and ship a bunch of returns together, very easy for the buyer.

But first I had to get there. Car wouldn't start. I have a jumper kit which I've used. But I couldn't pop the hood. 

The latch is near the floor, unmarked. I can't reach down far enough. If I managed it I'd need help getting back up. Last time I did it was a year ago  I'm a year older.

Gary's away for two weeks, two other knowledgeable neighbors are sick, the other possible helper was at work. Soooo I urgently texted handsome Son, who came a while later and got it started.


Then the sun came out and I made it to the UPS store, met a perfectly lovely baby who cheered me up with a happy smile once he'd succeeded in swiping his mother's wallet to chew on.

The return went fine, the car running like a bird now, and the day began to feel better 

I finally got to walk, found a little jardiniere abandoned in the trees, and rescued it once home




It's happy in its new home.

And later one of the neighbors came home and crawled under his own car, must be the season

He eventually was able to leave.

Signs of spring on the patio, squint and you'll see tiny thyme leaves appearing from their dead looking winter foliage



And the very beginning of buds on the spice bush, viburnum carlesii. 


beautiful lichen, nature's embroidery 

Round the corner a new neighbor has decorated their front path

So things are looking better today. The last vestiges of the virus, normal for me, blisters in the mouth and toothache, are starting to subside, yay. It's usually a sign a virus is going away. It enhances a person's mood when they're not hurty -mouthed.

All in all, yes, a better day. Happy evening everyone! I hope for a good, better, best day for you, too.


37 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good day after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read every one of Gerald Durrell's books when I was in my late teens and laughed my way through every one. I wonder if the library still has any because I'd love to re-read them. Ruth Adam isn't familiar so I'll check to see if they have any of her books while I'm there.
    Sorry about the car issues - I guess that happens when it hasn't been started for awhile. Resident Chef tries to take ours for a drive around the outskirts of town on a regular basis to keep the battery topped up. Don't know if it helps, but it doesn't hurt.
    Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to at least run the engine even if I'm not going anywhere. I keep resolving and forgetting this.

      I'm very happy with my current reading and listening. I'm stuck in my roots!

      Delete
  3. Glad your son was able to help. Great find on your walk. A good day by the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ended up being much better than it started. And a lovely pink sky this evening.

      Delete
  4. You deserve a good afternoon and evening; glad you had them to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are feeling better and were able to get help with the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it wasn't good having to deal with both, but it worked out, to my surprise!

      Delete
  6. I was on a big Durrell brothers kick in the 80s. My fave book by Gerald Durrell is "My Family and Other Animals" but I enjoyed his "Beasts in My Belfry" too. My fave literary work by his brother Lawrence Durrell is his 4-novel series "The Alexandria Quartet" which I read at that time as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't deal with the A quartet, just so pretentious! But I admit to being influenced by knowing about him through my brother, seemingly pretentious in rl, too! I did give him a fair trial though, before flinging the first one down.

      I did like My Family etc., one of the books I literally had to put down to laugh!

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are feeling better.
    Too often burning mouth sipping hot coffee, I use frozen fruit to sooth the discomfort.
    Nice find. It's weird what good stuff folks toss away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been out there for a while. I thought it was tinfoil or one of those accursed Mylar balloons, until yesterday it had blown closer and I could see it better.

      Delete
  8. I third (or fourth) all of Gerald Durrell's book. They are true classics.

    Spicebush is a wonderful shrub. It's so fun to notice the very first inklings of spring.

    Glad your day improved from start to finish! Ours was a balmy 60 degrees at noon, snow by 4 pm. Rowan and I were smart enough to walk at noon. Ah, February!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a pretty brief early spring for you. I guess Rowan doesn't much mind the temps as long as walking happens.

      Delete
  9. Cars will always give you trouble, especially at the exact moment you really don’t need it. I’m glad your son was able to come and help you.
    Keep resting until your well and truly well. You don’t want a relapse
    Great news on spring coming. We are still having warm days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on resting. I find I don't plan to nap. It happens when I think I'm reading after lunch, wake up realizing that was dreaming, not in the book!

      Delete
  10. Goodness you have had a go round with that virus. That jardiniere was a happy find. We're not so sure about the neighbours path tho - they must be young and spritely or lithesome like a cat - my humans would trip over the ornaments. We love your signs of spring and daffodils are starting to peek through here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The path is next to the gnome and basset hound, fortunately. They don't have to hurdle them.

      Delete
  11. We read a Gerald Durrell at school and then I went on to read the rest in the early 70s and the House in the Country is one of my favourite of the Furrowed Middlebrow reprints. Glad you got your car going - thank goodness for sons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be the only Ruth Adam I can get. Not much published in the US maybe.

      Delete
  12. Seems like you’ve found a good new author or two. Glad you muddled through yesterday and are improving health-wise. I had very little sleep last night, but it isn’t like I have to operate dangerous equipment today, so I’ll survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can postpone the dangerous equipment a while! For most of us, that's our car.

      Delete
  13. I do like the Gerald Durrell books I've read, especially the My Family And Other Animals one. Never read Ruth Adam as far as I know. I'll keep an eye out.
    I am SO glad that you're seeing and feeling the signs of this virus leaving you. It has been a long one and I know you're ready for it to be completely gone, letting you truly enjoy the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the virus has conferred a bit of immunity, too. It's the first one in three years, so my system just didn't know how to handle it.

      Delete
  14. Somehow you managed to connect Flemish weavers and chaffinches from one day to the next, just like that! It's good to read you are getting better, it knocked you for a loop. That's a great find you saw in the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Flemish weavers and chaffinches coinkydink just cracked me up.

      Delete
  15. A happy heart day to you today! Hopefully yesterday got all the "ugh" stuff out of the way for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad things are better and what a sweet find, the jardiniere. had to look that up, just looks like a tin pot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see the thyme leaves! I've never read any Gerald Durrell but his Corfu trilogy is on my list. I don't know Ruth Adam but I'll keep an eye out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see if you like his humor, since you've been around Brits for a few years now. I have a feeling the Adam book would appeal, what with places and people you can easily connect with. You may be able to access more of her books than I can.

      Delete
  18. What a pretty jardiniere! Have you read Miss Buncle's Book? DE Stevenson. You probably have but I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished the Country house book, so I'll look for Stevenson, thank you.

      Delete
    2. Found in Hoopla and now downloaded. There are quite a few books by this author, good news if I like this one. Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!