Monday, February 27, 2023

Puppy in the offing, Art Shaped start, winnowing, and other excitements

Yesterday a couple of calls from Gary mainly about my getting some food supplement items from his fridge and delivering them across the street to unwell neighbor struggling with chemo. No problem, done. 

Then he called with the other news: a new puppy in his life from tomorrow. French bulldog/Boston terrier mix.  Whenever he gets back I'll get to meet my new seven week old neighbor. Can't wait. Especially since he gets to train and care for it, I get to visit and play with my grandpup. 

Yesterday's winnowing was dull and vital. Paper files. Auto insurance dating back six years, different car, agent now retired.



I'm very good at filing in the right place, not very good at updating though. That mass of paper I soaked in soapy water till nearly pulp, drained, recycled. Much easier than hours shredding, and none of it very sensitive.

Today though, I decided on a mystery basket in a bottom drawer. And found, look at that: useful cardboard and tubes. 


Originally for spinning and plying, now exactly what's needed for the current artwork in progress.

Out of it this is now offered on Freecycle


Speaking of art in progress, it looks as if my freezer and kitchen island are the current studio, tall enough to stand at, good light, near water.

So here is the beginning of the beginning of what I think, hope,  will be a big piece. 


The circular pieces are coffee filters dyed, left from when I was spinning paper and weaving it, making miniature book covers.

 
Cut One, here we go, using the mailer the book came in 


 Then bend, add and tape the scraps to create eyes and nose, then cut off and reattach the bottom part to create a mouth.


Covered with the coffee filters, now drying before probably painting tomorrow, after a couple more changes to nose and mouth.

Then I'll create a head, attach the face and more things will happen.

At this point I was about done in. Partly there's a lot of physical effort which you don't notice at the time, then there's the constant mental exertion and multiple decision making, all great and all very expensive in energy. 

Darrell, who wrote Art Shaped, is into it


Meanwhile, the jigsaw puzzle is done

And I have lab work Wednesday in the building next to the puzzle library, so I'll return this one and see about borrowing another.

Another kind of winnowing is planned for. Friday, knitting group day, different library. Meg our Leader, would like to populate the library with plants. And I just happen to have a candidate I grew from cuttings



So if she wants it, and I can get it in the car and the weather's not too cold, and I make it there..

Last night I took out some recycling and, clear night,  looked up and caught the Moon, Venus and Jupiter in a straight line, very cool display. Nice to go to all that trouble for me.

Before I forget the Haggard Hawks puzzle answer

BAG BEG BIG BOG BUG!

I see these similarities: all three letters, all with initial B final G, vowels in alphabetical order. Any more?

Have you seen this beautiful swords into plowshares artwork?


Happy day everyone, look for whatever constitutes a sunflower in your life, even when surrounded by shell casings.
 

32 comments:

  1. Bravo on your winnowing. I need to do some of that myself. Like you, I'm a pretty good filer, but once filed things tend to get forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there isn't much that needs to be kept for longer than months, given that so many records can he accessed on-line anyway. I seem to think paper is secure.

      Delete
  2. A grandpup! How fun. I love dogs. Other people's dogs. If they have decent manners.
    Oh, your face art is going to be amazing. How cool that you found just what you needed when you needed it. That rarely happens in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that the winnowing worked directly with the art making.

      Delete
  3. Well, now...you have been busy. I am going to like that mask, I can tell that already. That's a mighty nice plant, the library should be happy to receive it. The Ukrainian people give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad to rehome the plant. I'm at that library often enough I can visit it.

      Delete
  4. In our meditation group years ago the talked about something she called 'support of nature'. It kind of meant finding what you need when you need it, being in tune with the world and everything coming together in the right times and ways. You must be in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The creation of the mask is exciting.
    Have fun. It's so nice when a new project is in the works.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a special energy at the start i hope it and I, hold up.

      Delete
  6. Oh the mask is looking fantastic. Should be awesome when it’s done.
    A new puppy to play with but not your responsibility. Sounds perfect to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy so far. Let's see the next stage.

      Delete
  7. I'm excited to see each stage of your big art project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I. No knowing how each part will turn out yet.

      Delete
  8. This winnowing could become a national movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freecycling already is but I don't know if it can be described as winnowing.

      Delete
  9. We all need a bit more winnowing in our lives. It sounds more appealing than clearing out stuff I should have got rid of years ago.
    I think the plant would look lovely in the library and someone else can keep it alive. I have no luck in that department.
    The art project is coming along well. I hope you show Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's already seen the current stage and is hugely amused that I used the book mailer for my first project! The librarian in charge of the plants is experienced with garden and house plants, so this one will be in good hands. It's very easy care anyway.

      Delete
  10. Those shells and flowers are truly inspiring. You really do experiment with all sorts of materials and are very creative! Can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either! Often I don't know much more than an onlooker what will come next.

      Delete
  11. This post made me smile so many times. I'm looking forward to watching your latest art project, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To which I usually answer: so am I. I'm barely a step ahead of onlookers.

      Delete
  12. I have two boxes of stuff thrown in them from cleaning up after the house flooded that I've been moving around and need to finally deal with the contents. either store them properly or throw them out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A grand puppy is really the way to go. Grand kids too for that matter. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't notice the order of the vowels! A puppy! So exciting. And Gary continues to sound like the perfect neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed with your paper. I haven't made paper in such a long time. And a puppy! How fun that will be to watch. They're always bound to make one laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do make paper, from plant fibers, but these are coffee filters which I dyed to spin as paper yarn. You can probably see more about that if you use the search box, top left.

      Delete
  16. A new grandpuppy, how exciting! Hopefully this one isn't as much of an escape artist as the last one was.
    Winnowing is something I need to do but I know better than to set aside the current hexie project. If I do that I know it will be another couple of years before I muster the courage to look at it again. I am determined to finish it...or else it will become a donation someplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for staying with the hexie project till done. One thing at a time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!