Thursday, February 16, 2023

Diamond wedding, puzzles and chickpeas

Today's my Diamond, sixtieth,Wedding anniversary, if you disregard the detail that Handsome Partner didn't quite make it to the finish line. 

Quite a bit has happened in sixty years, which I'll spare us all, and fast forward. Now is more interesting than then 

 Today the cleaners were expected so I bunched all my errands.

First to the Town Hall,  to chat with the township tax collector, Jesse, and have him officially stamp my Senior Freeze form to prove I really did pay over $7,0000 not a typo, in property tax last year. 

Also to indicate officially, his math,  the State owes me nearly $2,000 back in July when the new fiscal year starts, because of being ancient and having a base real estate annual tax maximum established, some years ago. 

And we discussed Jesse's recent crutch-requiring basketball injury, in detail, amazing how engrossed fit young men are in their health.

Then to the PO, to send off three pairs of gloves to the Glove and Sock Ministry. 

On to the the library to browse the puzzle selection, more and more of which I seem to have done.

Here's the latest. I'm in danger of having to embark on a 1,000 piecer at this rate, if I run out of the 500s.

They've got onto the public puzzle idea, as you see


Just finished this one, another waiting to be unboxed.

Then I checked my email found the cleaners had got their dates mixed, could they come next week instead.. but I did get the errands accomplished, so there's that.

Following on yesterday's attention to the nasal architecture of deer, peregrine falcons and people, here's a gallery showing just what art goes into mammal forms. The physics of it relate to cushioning against stress and pressure as well as the sense of smell.


I carved rubber stamps based on shapes like these in the past, very pleasing for stamping fabrics or paper. 

Pleasing yesterday, too,  was this food first



The idea, like a lot of good ideas, came from Spain on a Fork, a YouTube channel with a very cute guy, with great food ideas,  once you get used to the frenetic windshield -wiper arm movements. 

These are spiced chickpeas, rinsed,  dried completely on a castiron pan, no oil, then doused in the spices you see ranged on the counter, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, shaken about a couple of minutes and served on top of, he had sweet potato, I didn't, but I had butternut squash cooked, in the freezer.

I used the last of the salmon fritters, but a poached egg would have gone nicely. The highly spiced chickpeas on the bland unseasoned squash, all served hot from the pan,  was a match I'd never have thought of.  But I'll do this again.

Two meals of this, finally seeing off the giant butternut squash from a couple of weeks ago.

You up for a puzzle? I'm pretty sure everyone will know this word, if you can get it.

Happy day everyone, try new things, you might enjoy a little change




41 comments:

  1. Where else in the blogosphere can I read about nasal cavity structures in mammals? You are always so delightfully eclectic! And thanks for the easy word puzzle today -- it has salved my bruised ego after CHAFFINCH. Finally, congrats on such a significant anniversary date for you and your late spouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this puzzle might land better! I do have niche interests, that's true. And thank you for the good wishes.

      Delete
  2. May your thoughts of 60th fill you with joy
    You cook so well, I feel inspired to prepare foods more thoughtfully. I can't cut an onion without thinking I'm tossing dye material. The chickpeas are a food I will be adding to my menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chickpeas. They're a kind of all purpose food.

      Delete
  3. Sixty years ago you married your guy! Wow. Wish he was here with you to celebrate.
    Those chickpeas look very, very good. Have I ever told you what my kids called chickpeas? "Baby butts." You can see why.
    That jigsaw is one I would pick out, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was writing the post about the time of day we took our vows. Such irreverence about chickpeas!

      Delete
  4. Diamond wedding anniversary for you... let a beautiful song ring out for you :-))) Be hugged.
    I like chickpeas...good idea...I think I'll try too, but maybe I'll add chicken or root vegetables.
    Your stamps are great... I love printing on fabric.
    Greetings to you. I wish you a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken would be good with that chickpea dish.

      Thank you for the good wishes!

      Delete
  5. I love the variety of things that interest you,. Deer noses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like reading about the things that get my attention!

      Delete
  6. I am a HUGE fan of puzzles. Congrats on the 60th wedding anniversary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll try the Haggard Hawks puzzle. Our rule here: don't post the answer, post a funny clue if you can think of one. We hold off with the answer to give everyone plenty of thinking time.

      Delete
  7. I got the puzzle in the very least amount of time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A significant milestone even if you are now half of the pair. I am learning to enjoy pulses. I might even try that recipe.
    I stupidly read the comments before really thinking about the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it feels significant to me. Try the recipe, and see. I think the chickpeas would go well over rice, too.

      Delete
  9. Wow. sixty years ago the world was a different place...chickpeas and nasal cavity art, amazing. Hope you had a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice day, peaceful. I was writing my blog post at the time we were exchanging vows all those years ago!

      Delete
  10. I just want the smallest amount allowed.
    And chickpeas are my standby fillerupper

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m glad your still marking your anniversaries.
    Sixty years is a long time. If you still feel married to your husband, then you are.
    The spice chickpeas look tasty. Unfortunately I can’t do spice any more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real deprivation, to have to avoid spices. Good thing you have such great homegrown produce.

      When we were first planning to marry, the priest explained that matrimony is a private sacrament. If you decide, then you're married. The ceremony only confirms it, and the law requires it. Quite a revelation to us layfolk.

      Delete
  12. Those nasal cavities are pretty remarkable. They DO make good patterns for a stamp or for fabric. Maybe you could start hitting up thrift stores for your puzzles? Used ones can be had very cheaply, but then you'd have to get rid of them somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nearest thrifty is quite a drive, but it's a thought. I've never seen a jigsaw puzzle there, but they haven't been my focus -- usually it's linen items and cashmere sweaters.

      Delete
  13. Unless you reside in a mansion, that is a very high property tax. Is the rate $7K but you get a $2K rebate for being a senior? We don’t get senior rebates, but property tax can be taken into account on income tax — in theory anyway, BUt probably more in theory than fact. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a modest two bedroom town house in the state with the highest property tax in the US. We're number one, yay! I guess. The program takes years if struggling and arguing with bureaucracy to get into, and you establish your base tax year eventually. After that you're repaid any annual increase over your base. It's also income dependent. I qualify because of modest income. So people are repaid different amounts depending on their established base year.

      Delete
  14. My brain is not awake yet for the puzzle. I've never eaten chickpeas as themselves, only as hummus. That is chickpeas, right? Or maybe that's falafel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used chickpeas to make hummus.

      Delete
    2. And I just discovered that the chickpea fritters I make are falafels. So the answer is: yes!

      Delete
  15. 60 years. Many memories, but yes, now is interesting. Especially if it involves nail cavities of mammals! I like garbanzo beans a lot. I have not done the crisping of them, I have to give that a try. I don't even attempt word puzzles, my brain just can't do it. MN doesn't have capping of property tax for seniors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJ isn't capping property tax, really. Each new administration changes the rules and hoops to jump through. But I'm glad of what I can get back.

      Delete
  16. Everyone knows already, once again I'm late to the party. But I remember Clarissa, she was a tiny woman. One of two that worked with that basket ball team. Among them she was the mini ma.
    I had trouble figuring out if those were "I" or "L."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that trouble, too, because on so many keyboards they're the exact same stroke. But you did do a great clue!

      Delete
  17. Diamond anniversary wedding - an event that brings back fond memories.
    Chickpeas are rich in protein, yet I rarely have them as they are not good for my digestion, even when well cooked. I prefer hummus instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one way it seems so long, in another, it's the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  18. I have put together some spice blends to have with various dishes I makes these days. My husband and I like the spicy taste. Food can taste bland these days without some spice added. We quite like it. I can see how the chick peas would benefit from some spice. Have a great day, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hear about your blends. Always up for a new one.

      Delete
  19. That's a coincidence: someone else mentioned Spain on a Fork to me this week too! Let me know if you want me to send you some 1000 piece jigsaws! I'd be happy to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my libraries has offered me free access to 1000 piece donated puzzles, but I think they're above my paygrade. Also my smallish table.

      Delete
  20. Re the lack of 500 pc puzzles - would a query on the local Freecycle yield any? You could do them and then pass them on to the library for their collection.
    I hope you did a little something to mark the occasion of your 60th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check free cycle for them, but mostly 1000 ers. The two 500s I did get last winter I worked then donated to the library collection. I can't see doing a puzzle again, so they may as well be shared. There's a nice selection at the library and I think a keen band of borrowers!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!