Monday, February 6, 2023

Indian food, genuine and other, Black Women's History Month, and Socks ahoy

 Last evening Gary came over to give me these

Still hot, from his neighbors on the other side. They're Indian food, and i can't remember the name, like soft fried doughnuts in shape, but very spicy. 

He tried one, decided they were more my taste,  brought them over, and I asked if he'd like a swap. Whereupon I whipped out of the freezer the container of brownies I'd saved for him until the next opportunity to give them -- I was thinking Valentine's for his grandchildren -- and he was totally happy with the exchange.

We also found that since yesterday my front hall ceiling light has died. It's an LED, can't replace the built-in bulbs, just the whole fixture. We're thinking of reverting to an old fashioned one where you can change the bulbs.

He's off Friday for the Superbowl, not that his team is in it, then a couple of weeks' moseying around Arizona and, if I know him, looking up old girlfriends! 

I'm like an honorary mom to him, so I'm not supposed to know that.. and we had a discussion of football teams, basketball teams and baseball teams. 

All I know about these sports is what I've heard from Handsome Son, so it stood me in good stead. Nice catch-up about neighbors,  dogs and other pressing news items.

Anyway he'll install a new light if I have it before he goes, otherwise it'll be a couple of weeks. Not a vital area, though, it can wait till I figure out what to do.

Since I'm waiting for the arrival of the roving to spin to get on with the current gloves, those needles are occupied, so I started a pair of socks on the smaller needles


This is that self patterning yarn. I do like doing toe-up socks, and, depending on when the roving shows up, I may send off this pair of socks plus the two finished pairs of gloves.

It's a very good feeling working with sock yarn on smaller needles, centering.

And here's a shout-out to black women for Black History Month, far too short a period, but anyway


About Indian food and Misfits, the hot deep fried thingies, if anyone knows the name please remind me, anyway they put me in the mood for spicy.

So today was a nice chicken curry over jasmine rice cooked with chopped walnuts. 

I used my homemade mix, Bill Veach's curry powder, and plenty of onions and garlic, finished with whole milk 




Enough for another dinner tomorrow. And very good too, though I didn't bother with fancy side dishes and I don't have any chutney, but never mind. It was Good Enough.

And for all the puzzlers most of whom seem to have been right on it, the nine letter word with GPL right in the middle was

GANGPLANK

Happy evening everyone, and I hope your day's been Good Enough.





22 comments:

  1. I know the snack but for the life of me can't think if its name! A good curry is a song in your mouth. The balance of spices, the tingling on the tongue. Now I crave a good curry and it's not long gone breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest pakoras too. Yum yum! I like the yarn you're using for the new socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't have a clue about the baked goodies. I have the idea I don't like curry, but I'm not sure if I know that or just think that. You'd think I know if I know. Regardless, your dish looks delicious. I like the start of the self-patterning yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good curry. This one was simple but good.

      Delete
  4. Self striping yarn is the best for socks. Especially for me as I love stripy socks
    The food looks delicious but unfortunately I have no idea what they’re called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saying pakora until someone more knowledgeable comes along!

      Delete
  5. It's early, but it has been good enough so far. Once Sue got up, she helped me get the daytime catheter on, and that feels better. Have to have another round with the urology dept again today to try to sort the removal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that stripy yarn. Socks that can brighten one’s day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you've got me thinking I want to go to the Indian restaurant soon! I do love that food. Plus, there are large screens with Bollywood videos playing which is so fun.
    I know this is nosy but how old is Gary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite how young he looks in the various pictures I've posted of him at work in my house, he's a kid in his early 70s, going on 32.

      Delete
    2. That's what I sort of thought about his age. Men never quit being boys, do they? And that is not an insult. It's sort of lovely.

      Delete
  8. Self-striping yarn?! I had no idea such a thing existed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've seen it here! I've been knitting socks in it for a while. Courtesy of Joanne. It's interesting to see what's happening as you knit.

      Delete
  9. Bhajis? We all need a neighbour like Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check that out. Yes, he's a neighborhood treasure.

      Delete
  10. Now if I had you as a neighbor on one side and Gary on the other, we would all keep one another fed! I do not like Thai curry. I found I really really do not like coconut milk. I do like what I've always known as curry. You reminded me it's been several years since I've made a curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's time try one again. Remember to switch the fan on over the stove, or the house will smell of it for days.

      Delete
  11. Nice that food gets shared around the neighbourhood - it's always fun to taste test someone else's cooking.
    I love self-striping socks too. At least the stripes help to alleviate the boredom of what seems like miles of repetitiveness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!