Sunday, February 12, 2023

Slo-mo Sunday

 This jigsaw puzzle is the slowest ever. So many identical flowers, pieces that could go anywhere. 




Everyone's a philosopher, even the puzzle people at Springbok, which, despite the name, proudly proclaims it's all USA all the time.

Great jolt of joy when you fit a piece in or a little group with its friends. Periods of total sense of incompetence between jolts.

Gloves and socks are continuing. Spinning continuing. Energy about 6 on a scale of 10. 

But I did a good lunch, beautiful as well as good food 





Salmon seared in hot barely oiled pan, skin side up first, then turned over, finally lid on pan, off heat, to finish.

Golden jasmine rice, with turmeric, old Bay, salmon with salt, pepper, lemon juice. Raw kale. 

Total time elapsed about 23 minutes. 

This is why I bother cooking: colors keep my old person's small appetite up, good eating keeps my reduced energy up. Also I'm worth it! This is three meals for moi. 

Misfits seems to be having a run of supply issues. Yesterday I signed on within one minute of the order open window, and: no flour, Fuji nor gala apples, dried apricots, baking cocoa, pita bread, favorite yogurt. Half my list not available.

And when they confirm my order on Wednesday I expect they'll sadly inform me that other items will once again be unavailable. Not blaming them. I think worldwide unrest, failed harvests, shipping issues, are probably behind it. 

But I have to be pretty inventive to work around the gaps, however, I can't really say I'm hurting when I sit down to a lunch like the above.

I read a feature today proclaiming today,  Superbowl Sunday,  as the event that unites the USA.  The ones who know it's on, that is. And who's playing. And where.

 I literally know one person who cares, and he went solo to wherever it's happening. Not so sure about this uniting.

For people who either instantly got the puzzle or fear they will never get the puzzle, it's

CHAFFINCH!

This cracks me up because I was assigned to the Chaffinch Patrol in my Girl Guides (Scouts) years. But everyone knew the cool girls with all the badges were in the Swallows. 

You'd think, as Mary would say, I'd be over it by now, heh.  I am. I totally am. So take that, Jean McWilliams!

Happy evening,  everyone!  Enjoy your grudges while you've got them!





29 comments:

  1. The super bowl is being advertised here as the biggest sporting even of the glob. I’m like meh I’m more interested in our own home grown football and only if my team is in the grand final lol
    I’m glad your being challenged by the puzzle. I was a tad worried you were some AI humanoid you were going through them so fast.
    Your dinner looks very yummy indeed. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use the help of ai, or maybe Gary's seven year old granddaughter.

      Delete
  2. CHAFFINCH?!?! I would never have got that in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I didn't spend any time on that puzzle! Had NEVER heard of that bird. Googled; it says "small European bird", so I wouldn't have encountered it in TX.
    I found out today is Superbowl Sunday when I texted my hairdresser to brag on the good job she did. She answered that she's going to watch the game. Oh. I avoid FOX at all cost, but put my TV on (muted). Being alone, might look at it once in awhile. You put me to shame with your cooking. I cook for my two little dogs, and my meal is their leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me: Superb Owl Sunday: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2023/02/photos-superb-owl-sunday-vii/673023/ (I was able to view this as a free article, hope it works for others).

    That dinner has me salivating!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe other bird lovers will let us know?
      It was a good meal, simple but colorful and interesting.

      Delete
  5. That salmon is lovely. Had it for dinner one night this weekend. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Sunday is pretty Slo-mo too. I did watch a hockey game but not the Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're legally required to watch, north of the border.

      Delete
  7. Well, I would never have thought of a chaffinch, though I see them now and then in our garden. Your salmon looks great. One of my favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a person who knows what they are didn't guess it! That must have been a hard one.

      Delete
  8. Once again I thought of you as Levon and I put our Marvel superheroes puzzle together. I knew NONE of the names of those guys but of course Levon knew them all. He is an excellent puzzle-partner.
    Salmon is delicious. I used to finish mine with spinach in the skillet and it was so, so good. I should do that again. I am so sorry that your energy level is still low. I am hoping that spring coming will awaken your forces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your salmon and spinach combo. Yes, he'll be the expert in the field of superheroes, definitely.

      Delete
  9. I could not care less about football. I had never heard of a Chaffinch, now I know. Your salmon looks delicious, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea the chaffinch was a niche bird. And the salmon part two is up for today.

      Delete
  10. You can't beat a good grudge. And I wanted tinned strawberries for my trifles tomorrow and there were none in Sainsburys. I'm hoping I can find some elsewhere. Finally this is why I like jigsaws with lots of little details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen strawberries other than fresh or frozen. The stuff you learn in comments!

      Delete
  11. F wishes she understood American football (it is football isn't it?) but she generally only watches drama on TV anyway. Mr B also made a lovely salmon meal a couple of nights ago. F has been 'ropey' since getting a vaccine last week and decided today that she was indepently ill so her meal preparation has been a bit half hearted. Today chicken & chickpeas in middle eastern flavours with green olives and pickled lemons, and couscous. She has half a dozen easy to throw together 'stews' that make two or three meals at a time and they are the 'fall back' position. Cats don't like fermented lemons, green olives or chickpeas; i just think that needs to be stated. We do like chaffinches though. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice you mention chaffinches in the food context..

      Delete
  12. I am eternally grateful that Resident Chef has zero interest in football, basketball, soccer OR hockey but luckily he likes watching the Blue Jays play, as do I. He sometimes likes to see the scores of the other games but that's as far as it goes.
    Your salmon looks so good - it's been a long time since we've had anything other than canned salmon. Too bad about the shortages from Misfits - hopefully they can get that sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps if you like the same team. Or just watching together. I don't know how people partnered with sports fanatics manage.

      Delete
  13. It is hard to get good salmon these days, here at least. The fresh Atlantic salmon which my FIL caught years ago was so under-appreciated by us young people. If only…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I doubt if I appreciated the wonderful fish if KY youth, either. Halibut we could afford, now close to $30 pound. Cod available always, before greed fished out the waters. It seemed we'd never run out of fish, until we did.

      Delete
    2. My youth, don't know how Kentucky got in there.

      Delete
  14. I dislike eating alone every day and find my appetite waning. However your salmon and rice sounds very good. Salmon next trip to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That waning appetite is one of the things to look out for. I find that colorful is also good for the appetite, and varying textures, just interesting stuff.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!