Monday, June 1, 2020

Lemon balm, yellow sorrel pesto

Haven't made pesto in a while, and since I was unable to get strawberries today, short supply because of late frosts, farmgate closed, despite website seemingly saying strawberries available today, oh well, drive home.

And noticed the lemon balm in pots on the patio  growing furiously. Also some yellow wood sorrel on the patio, definitely unsprayed.








 Since I have no parmesan to include, I thought a bit of sorrel would add that tang. Which it did, very much.

 So I added in a bit of coconut milk to take the edge off, which it did. And since I had no cheese in the mix, a pinch of salt.  It seems pretty good.

We'll see how it works on pasta. If I like it, it's pesto. If not, it's soup flavoring.



The pesto is flattened into a recycled Ziploc bag, frozen. I can break off the exact amount I want when I'm ready for it. And I blended a couple of cups of water to get all the pesto out of the blades. That gets frozen, too, for soup. Then there's no waste and you just clean the blender as usual. 

This stuff is supposed to help with agitation, as is sorrel, seems appropriate for many reasons right now. 

I don't want to talk current affairs here, but we're all so crushed by the sadness, that I just mention it so that you know I'm not in denial. But I don't want to add  the burden of yet another opinion. I'm trying to find out how I can help, though. Not just sitting!

9 comments:

  1. There are vigils here today, as though the pandemic has been forgotten...Your pesto sounds very fresh. I hope the day is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate to live in a state where there have been large protests, all peaceful. Many police departments declaring solidarity. So of course it's not on the news.

      Delete
  2. I would never have thought of making pesto with lemon balm and sorrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made pesto with all sorts of green herbs, also with carrots, not the tops, the actual carrots. Just processed as usual, and very good indeed on pasta, also a beautiful golden color.

      Delete
  3. I feel the same for my country. How can I help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be holding vigil at the Idaho State Capitol tomorrow, as a first step. It will be interesting (scary) in this pandemic world. Mike and I will practice 'extreme hygiene'while there. Feeling very sad and angry. Thank goodness for gardens and lemon balm and pesto. We tried making carrot top pesto last year, were not enthusiastic. Will have to try with carrots themselves. You continue to inspire.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pesto sounds good. I'll have to try it out. I too have said little about the current state of the universe. America is no longer the golden land - the place where people can live happily ever after. I worry for my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a lot of people it never was a golden land. Those of us unaware of the privilege in which we lived are learning to face this now. I have great hope, seeing the raw courage if POC in the face of violence, familiar to them, long hidden from those of us not affected.

      Delete
  6. Interesting flavour combination I suspect, but not something I'm likely to try because Resident Chef doesn't care for pesto (what's WRONG with that man!).
    Like you, I've hesitated to say anything about the current happenings on my blog but finally realized that I needed to at least address it in some form.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!