Thursday, January 15, 2015

The studio journey goes on, light showing..

More work in the studio today. I've found that the best method is to decide before going up there what I'm going to tackle, so that I don't get into a blur in a minute.


 Stretchers, printmaking and watercolor paper in rolls, and some great roofing paper which makes excellent prints, plus assorted plexi pieces for plates, mats and matboard.

 




Today it was about frames and stretchers, and framing material, and in the process I found a weaving I did ages ago and had left on the picture frame loom.  Since I wanted to donate the frame it was on, I removed it from the frame, and found I quite liked it, so it now has a place downstairs.



Since people are often interested in dimensions, this piece is 38 inches h. by 14 inches wide.  It's crocheted in double crochet, constructed like the shopping bags I made, then I stretched it on the frame then wove in raw roving -- you see that top and bottom,  and yarns, the yellow geometric form on there, then finished it with brass chain draped in front.  All the materials were donated by other artists!

 
I'm donating enough materials to set up a nice monotype making program for adult artists!  inks, extender, plexi plates, brayers, plastic aprons, matting and framing materials.  And a ton of really really good paper, the kind that's hard to afford.  

Also rubber stamps, liquid acrylics, kids' easy printmaking scratchboard, sun printing paper, stickon dots, all sorts of fun! all ages catered to...

Anyway, this is getting to feel better now, though it's hard to close the door on my past art, even though it will open the door to the next adventures.  I have to remember the nautilus, my iconic image, where the sea animal completely closes off the last compartment of
the shell while building the next, bigger compartment.  This is a nautilus moment.

And I thought it would be good to reward myself, so I ordered a climbing yellow rose from White Flower Farm, unfortunately named Golden Showers, somebody should explain this to the good folks at WFF, but it's beautiful anyway.  



I had one many years ago and remember what a great performance it put on for years. So now I can plant one against the highest part of the fence on the patio.  Pix will happen in the spring when it arrives. 

Along with more adventures in art, I expect.

3 comments:

  1. Golden Showers, ahahah

    I missed that one in the catalog, but oh that brightens my day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, this is my first time to your blogs and I love reading about other people's studios, the things they save for creating, the way they organize and just seeing into their creative minds. I am your newest follower. Please come visit. I am celebrating my three year blogging birthday with a Give-A-Way, come put your name in the hat. Happy to meet you.
    Your new blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the blog you are closing and then came here. Clearly you are at some big transition points in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!