Sunday, November 23, 2025

Firsts, and maybe lasts

 I don't do those "year of memories" type of posts some people enjoy at year's end, but this year has been a period of firsts around here. 

First joint replacement, first car sale, were pretty big, and the reunion with the local art group was significant. Also an expensive year with appliances and plumbing and HVAC and  kitchen wall repairs. And first for many years, Handsome Son is not working Thanksgiving so we will celebrate on the "right" day. 

Then there's the last drive in the car, which I can't remember, probably the food pantry, and a very nice possible last, this sudden blooming of the little chrysanthemum out front 

It just appeared overnight, when I was sure yet again that the season was done.

Shedding a car is pretty significant winnowing, and, the check having cleared overnight, corporate checks get the fast track, I've already directed the funds where they'll work for me.  It's a change to have money coming in instead of rushing out.

Happy day everyone, it feels so free not to be concerned about tonight's cold rain turning to ice on the car. Not my circus, not my monkeys.  Do you have a "not my circus" in your life just now?

Some very interesting textiles are coming my way soon, definitely my circus, thanks to a thoughtful friend, to add to my textile education and experience.  So many good people and so much good stuff.




 


38 comments:

  1. It certainly has been quite a year for you. How about another slice of fruitcake to celebrate?! And another, in honor of that chrysanthemum blossom. What a sweet surprise!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly I saw that flash of white beside the path, what a surprise, because I had dug out and tossed the plant last year, some weird virus turning flowers brown before they opened. This must be from a root fragment I didn't get, and it looks healthy.
      I'm hoping for less drama in the near future.

      Delete
  2. Love that phrase 'not my circus, not my monkeys '. It's helped me walk away from many a worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing to remember when we tend to get drawn in to problems we don't own.

      Delete
  3. So great that Handsome Son is off for Thanksgiving. Sadly, I can’t think of anything right now that’s not my circus, not my monkeys. I need to let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so responsible, Mitchell. I think you could try for a bit of flakiness.

      Delete
  4. We always work around our daughter’s nursing schedule for holiday celebrations. This year, Christmas is at New Year. Two reasons to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good to me. I think quite a few people celebrate on days other than the calendar one, but you'd never know it from the ads and those Christmas letters.

      Delete
  5. More like Thank the Gods we survived that lot, now onwards and upwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your “not a review” of some of the events this year does sound like one which was memorable! Sweet little flowers show the grace that comes along to surprise one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are such a bonus. They're much healthier looking than the plant I'd dug out and tossed, but must have come from a stray root.

      Delete
  7. You are seeing the bright side of being car-less.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We often don't realise how burdensome our troubles are until they are lifted, though mine are insignificant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we tend to adapt and adapt, but we see the difference when circs change.

      Delete
  9. All your 2025 "firsts" work together to improve your life, and that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all in all, I'm better off now in several ways.

      Delete
  10. I think that as we age, the idea of shedding the monkeys and stepping away from the circus becomes something we all become more comfortable with. Or at least, the idea begins to make a lot more sense. I feel this strongly. As the Chicks sang in a song once, "The beauty of just letting go."
    I think about that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes against the grain of what many of us learned -- always take care of other people before yourself. But that can get us too involved in problems that aren't ours to solve.

      Delete
    2. A lesson often painfully learned.

      Delete
  11. You've had a monumental year. It feels good to have money coming in instead of going out. Thanksgiving gets a new meaning with HS actually able to be with you on the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminds me to take the game hen out of the freezer. I keep forgetting how soon I need to roast it. Yes, a year of happenings. But all good for now.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on all your "firsts" and generally significant actions taken - so far! it's not over yet! - this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the rest of the year is about less weighty stuff, three holidays coming up. For you too, fellow carfree Sag.

      Delete
  13. "Not my circus, not my monkeys" is a great expression. That's how I feel about our upcoming Professional Development Day. I'm retiring in four months -- why do I need professional development?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You're as developed as you're going to get. Likewise New Year's resolutions, unless they're about having more fun

      Delete
  14. You have had some good firsts. I'm glad you are happy about not having a car. Where I live it would be impossible not to have one. I think it would be a relief not to have to worry about it. I wish you a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until the advent of ride services, it was impossible here, too, little public transportation, none going where I need to. So finally I can manage.

      Delete
  15. I have a lot of monkeys to take care of right now in my circus and envy your care free (car free) life! I think your example of celebrating "no more car" is one I hope to remember when it is my turn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how it goes. I don't think I'll regret giving up the responsibility and expense. Yes, some monkeys just have to be dealt with, until they finally don't.

      Delete
  16. Not my circus was the silver lining to my being disabled two decades ago. Not having to go to a job or deal with scraping and shoveling snow was an unexpected blessing that I had originally thought was a curse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I doubt if it looked that way at first, but in your climate, it's good to be free from snow chores.

      Delete
  17. You have been busy. I’m glad you got rid of the car. It’s certainly nice having money going in for a change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last large sum went out for the heat pump. This is a nice change.

      Delete
  18. You've had quite the busy year. How nice that you can spend Thanksgiving with Handsome Son!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. That IS a good bit of winnowing! Well done and glad the check cleared!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am consciously trying to add more 'not my circus' moments into my life but sometimes I get sucked in despite my best efforts. Learning to say no is a good thing and I am getting better at it as I get older.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!