Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Celery soup

I've been thinking about celery for a while, yes, I know, I should get a life, but it's one of those vegetables that a single person thinks twice about buying.

 It comes in a head, where I shop, and that's a lot. Particularly when said person isn't a fan of it eaten raw. Like fennel, I'd rather have it some other way.

Anyway, the Asian store had a  nice display, so I bought a head, rinsed, chopped into little halfmoons, included the leaves, and froze it a couple of days ago.

This is good, because today when I thought I'd like soup, there it was. I rarely feel like doing the entire prep at one time. I'm my own sous-chef, works well.

So the recipe specified a whole head, and s big spud, which I had. Onions and garlic always in the freezer. Plain yogurt ready, too. Chicken broth.



So here's my first celery soup in quite a while.


In the same old dishes. My food stylist would probably have used different ones, fancy accessories, different table even. But she never showed, so here it is.
And it's really good. I've no doubt it's very good food, but mainly I'm really liking it.

I do like having soup in the freezer. It's my food security. And the freezing didn't affect flavor at all, in fact preserved it. Texture didn't matter because I was going to blend it anyway.

So you may want to try it. Many recipes online. Interestingly, none of my fancy print cookbooks had a recipe for celery soup.

They're all about celeriac, maybe that was the primo thing at the time. It reinforces my willingness to donate cookbooks, other than my own collection in a binder and a couple with sentimental meaning. People love to have them. They're welcome.

14 comments:

  1. Celery soup! It will be a great soup to freeze, and add to left overs.
    I agree with you, celery for one person is a lot. Your soup solution is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might happen again, since it turned out very well. I freeze all kinds of food, even eggs -- broken into icecube tray compartments and used later to scramble or to bake with.

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious! And the dishes :) Crazy Daisy, or Spring Fling, take your pick, but they are hot items today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dishes are collectible? Who knew? Well, you know a lot about the whole field of glass and china and their relatives. So I'm glad to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I've never ever considered celery soup. I feel, though, like I should try it based on your comments here. Going to go look for a recipe that sounds like it may be good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are quite a few recipes, some for vegans using cashews for texture. I used whole milk yogurt. You can swirl in a bit of cream, though I didn't. And you can use butter as your base oil, but I usually like olive oil for that. Anyway if you try it let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever had celery soup either and I rarely if ever buy it because it is so hard for a single person to use up before going all wilty. Yours looks delicious though and I'm very tempted. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do try it! The soup uses the whole head, and you can freeze it, so there's no waste. This is always such a point for the shopper-for-one. If you do, let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never think much of celery soup! But your ingredients make it sound really good. I agree that soup in the freezer is security!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nice point about making this soup is that it uses up the whole head, no guilty noticing the wilted old stems in the fridge next week.So if you buy it, you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do the same - chop and freeze vegetables. Otherwise, they will wind up in the compost pile. I make potato soup and freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's probably one of the few ways potatoes can be frozen successfully.

    And there's always pesto, for salad greens starting to wilt before you get to them. Not my idea -- Jack Monroe's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on the list of those who haven't tried celery soup, but after seeing this I'm going to put the bug in Resident Chef's ear. I love celery but we don't often buy it because it rarely gets used up before it goes bad. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might like it, if you're already a celery fan. I wonder if the growers have ever considered baby celery, like other small versions of vegetables? There seem to be a lot of people who just don't buy it because of waste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!