Sunday, February 16, 2020

Honey toast. Comfort food

Between the bitter weather stopping my walking, the endless political disasters, friends in serious medical trouble, inability to get into stitching or spinning, around here comfort food has taken priority.

Here's my patented, very complicated recipe for honey toast for tea.



Slice bread, spread with chunks of cold butter, pour a bit of honey over. Shove in the toaster oven at 425f for three minutes. Serve to needy person.


This is so much better than toasting then spreading. That's why I patented the recipe.


Pot of English breakfast tea. Mystery novel of your choice.

A few minutes of pleasure ensue.

There are other things in my world than food, but a lot of them are sad and difficult things befalling friends, and today a poignant anniversary for me, so not blog material.

The Valentine's day bark got very good reviews, by the way. So that was a community service in a way.

We shall rise above it all. As soon as the weather warms up!

10 comments:

  1. I must try this. I love my honey on a nice piece of dark bread. Sorry things are a bit difficult at the moment - spring is on its way and yes, things will look up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, spring for me, but fall for you! You know a lot of my back story, so you'll get it when I say this is my 57th wedding anniversary, or would have been, to be exact. I'll get to tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your patented recipe. ;^) While I'm not normally big on the taste of honey, this does remind me of a treat we had years ago. We'd stir honey and butter together for a slightly sweet spread on hot rolls (or just bread). Mmmm I appreciate that whatever today is an anniversary of, it's not blog material, but let me say I'm sorry for whatever brings you sadness. Hugs to you. I've enjoyed discovering you through your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks very comforting. I am sorry about the poignant anniversary and all the hard stuff involving friends. I have both in my own life and do not blog about them either. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I like to present cheerful and useful material in my blog these days. But, as you say, other things are also going on. Thank you for getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a perfect mid-afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the English are on to something with afternoon tea. The only problems is I don't like tea, but I absolutely love coffee, so you will often find me with a cup of decaf in the afternoon. Now, for some bread:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had afternoon tea until a few years ago. I'd always been working long hours, never home till late. Then when Handsome Partner's health declined precipitously, I had to do full-on caregiving (he became quadriplegic) at home. For nine years.

    One of his critical meds had to be given mid afternoon with food. So gradually, just to make it better than clinical, I would make him a snack and drink, and a cup of tea for me. It developed into a nice little afternoon break, tea, something homebaked, a rest for me.

    It became enjoyable and I've continued it since he's gone. It's a daily treat. So it kind of transformed itself from a fearful requirement to a highlight.

    This doesn't exactly follow the history of the English afternoon tea, leisurely ladies in hats drinking from porcelain cups. But you can see why they liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - now you've given me yet something more to crave! Into every life there must be some sadness so we can better appreciate the good times...at least that's what I try to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A recipe for every heartbreak? Sounds good. Life's a big ongoing weaving, with dark threads and slubs contrasting with the sparkly bits. I usually write about the sparkly bits in here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!