Monday, March 8, 2021

The reveal, and Winnowing results

 So the seams are stitched and pressed and neat enough that it's a reversible vest, and here it is, being introduced to its back yard, which it will see a lot of, as soon as the weather gets out of the 30s f.


 And why am I not wearing it right now, out there, you ask?  Because when you make items like this, fairly heavy fabric, newly steamed, hot, damp, it needs to hang into shape.  When you tailor clothes, they need resting time on the hanger or form in order to relax.  You need to give it a chance to breathe, this being organic material.  So it will be a day or two before it takes its place in the small wardrobe of stuff I go prancing out in.

And I'm very glad to have got this done before Spring.  The pockets are not yet in place, since I'm having new thoughts about them, and they may happen or they may happen differently.  Can't rush these decisions!  But now I'm free to do other things, involving stitching of many kinds.

Meanwhile, my across the street neighbor who's an artist and woodworker as well as my contractor and friend, received a whole lot of art materials from me during the January 2019 Great Winnowing.

That was before the pandemic was even a thing, but it was time for me to make changes in my life and surroundings anyway. I have been exhibiting art for well over 40 years, pretty successfully, and it's time to move on from that competitive and exciting world. So, changes.

One of them was to strip down and empty the art studio, donate tons of good materials and tools to young artists and various organizations happy to have them.  Printmaking, papermaking, painting, stamping, engraving, lino cutting, all went.  And many tools and frames, too. A vanload went to the local homeless women's shelter, Homefront, a wonderful organization, where art is considered an important part of helping women regroup and get their lives going again after massive losses. And there was still plenty to give.

And Mike, yet another one in my life, it's a great name, took dozens of assembled complete metal frames, with all the hardware, hanging wire, everything, some with artwork still in them to which I owed nothing further.  He promised he could use some himself but would see about good homes for some, too.

And he just this week told me that he donated a lot of them, most, in fact, to the High School Art program, the district where his wife works in admin, for student use.  They're thrilled to have professional frames for their student work, and that was a great resolution for them.

The other thing I gave him was the chess set on which Handsome Partner and I replayed the Fischer-Spassky tournament of 1972, each game as it was played.  I had given this to Mike because he talked about a guidance counselor in the school,  who was using chess as a way in to troubled kids, and had brought his own small set in for the purpose.  

This is the one I gave him

 

The set closed like a box to contain the carved wooden men.  I made felt bags to hold the men, too, to make sure none got lost. Opened and face up, it was an inlaid board, different wood veneers for dark and light squares. 

I was thinking about it nostalgically when we were talking about The Queen's Gambit, and it was just after that it occurred to him, without knowing this, to tell me it was well received, the counselor longing for students to get back and continue playing on it.  I wanted them to know that the best was good enough for them.  Not what some of these kids get to hear a lot.

So, two happy outcomes from the Great Winnowing.  The chess set was the hardest to part with, long history and all that, memories of Handsome Partner.  But it turns out to have been a good decision.

22 comments:

  1. Your generosity from The Great Winnowing is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we are really just stewards, not owners. And when it's time, we hand them on. It keeps the door open to new adventures and experience.

      Delete
  2. As Debra said- you are an inspiration. Not just your generosity but your outlook, your projects, your cooking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! It keeps the little donkey trotting along.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful for you to donate these items to others that can certainly make good use of them. The vest is gorgeous like a rainbow only much prettier and with more colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really like how it's turned out.

      Delete
  4. Generous and appreciated...wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to hear about. You always hope donations can be used and enjoyed.

      Delete
  5. That must have been hard to get rid of all your art supplies. I love art supplies even tough I'm having horrible artist block these days, it's the Covid effect. I had a big reorganisation of art supplies earlier this year and now I wish I hadn't as currently I can't really find anything. So nice that all your donated items are appreciated and have found good homes where they will be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept just a fraction of the supplies, and have been using them. I can find them now that there's a small amount!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful passing on the gifts! 'Being the steward of" rather than owning is a good perspective.

    And belatedly, I'm glad you've folded the two blogs together.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful chess set.
    When my sister and I closed down our weaving business, so much was donated to weaving schools. Weaving still is a red headed step child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to send them where they'd be used for learning.

      Delete
  8. You did well to donate art supplies and the chess set as you did. So much better to know the items found good use when you are done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Stuff belongs in different hands at different times.

      Delete
  9. "The best was good enough for them." I'll think about that again. I'm planning to make some handwoven scarves for the homeless, and it's inspirational to think that I can give them something beautiful. Even it is is stolen, it will still be out there in the world being good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to giving your best work to people with nothing. That's lovely to hear about, Suzanne.

      Delete
  10. I've got a crate of clear textured glass and boxes of jewels and dicroic glass and bevels, all kinds of stuff I will never use again, all stuff I used in the etched glass. I need to drag it out and see where it can go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be treasure to other people working in glass. The jewels might be a great resource for textile artists and students, too. Do it!¹

      Delete
  11. I remember - I think I was just discovering your blog during the great winnowing. How good for you to hear what has come of some the things you gave to Mike. It's terrific when recipients are as excited to receive something as one is happy to move it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good feeling. I'm so glad I did the Winnowing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!