Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Greek pasties, longevity

While I was pawing over cookbooks this morning to be reminded of the mixture for spanakopita, spinach and feta pie,  this fell out of one I haven't used in a while.  My dear friend Karen.  She's the person with all the teddybears I rehomed, all brand new and destined for her students and young friends. And many other wonderful items, as I helped clear her house, along with family members, after her death. 
 
Karen was a guidance counselor for disabled children in the New York school system, and one of the few professionals I ever met who understood that, for the parents of special needs children, there's no 9-5.  There's no time off.  There's no vacation.  Mostly, there isn't even a peaceful meal.  She was a star.  A person who could understand a situation without having lived it herself.

She died, way too young, of a sudden onset illness, three months from diagnosis, already at Stage 4, to death.  In her last days, I helped nurse her at home.  She was one of the friends who'd planned to be there for me in old age, but, that's not what happened. Life happened, and death.

When people talk about longevity as if it were wonderful, such as a doctor who told me years ago that my exercise and weight program were wonderful because they would help with length of life, and was stunned when I said that wasn't the purpose.  My purpose was and is to be as well as I can now, not ten years hence.  And to keep cheerful and well, now that I've outlived so many friends and relatives.
 
Living long's not a joy if the last decade or more are spent struggling.  And life's not about how long it is, anyway, but how significant it is.  Karen's life was significant. Everyone's is, to some extent, but some more than others.  I've already had twenty more years of life than she. I doubt if I've done much more good, though. 
 
Anyway, this is what suddenly jumped out at me as I was browsing.  Karen loved to sample my cooking. She'd crack up seeing me trotting across the street in my chef's apron, here, K, try this, look out, it's hot! that's how come she's among the cookbooks.

including this one, once a famous one, now I wonder if people still realize how groundbreaking it was at the time

Looking for this.  I wanted to make pasties with crisp crust, not phyllo, not a phan of phyllo so much, but I needed the filling reminders of how to make spanakopita, even without the phyllo dough

I had the spinach from Misfits Markets especially for this purpose, and added feta cheese to my shopping list this weekend.  You can't go far wrong with spinach and feta.

It needed ricotta, but I subbed plain yogurt, vaguely similar, and I thought I'd try it.  Gently fried the onions for a while, steamed the spinach a bit, pressed out the extra liquid

Then added the spinach into the onion, few more minutes

Mixed the yogurt, cubed feta, nutmeg, seasalt in a separate bowl. Added in the onions and spinach,  didn't bother with extra herbs.   

 Then came the making of the pastry.  This was a morning's work, all told.  I used the flour tortilla recipe, because that makes a lovely crisp crust, just what I like for a pasty.

Here it is, resting for half an hour.  When you can smell it developing, you know it's working fine.  Then you can knead and roll a bit, doesn't require much handling

 And shape the pasties.  Big spoonful or two of the mixture onto the dough, fold over, crimp with a fork, pierce the top, spritz with olive oil to help browning without getting too brittle.  About half an hour at 400F.

Today's lunch, with carrot greens fancying up the plate

Tomorrow's lunch

 And here's a bite's eye view.  This was worth all the frenzy in the kitchen.  It was just, well, it was five star.  I have enough pastry for several more pasties, and enough filling, too.  I think this might be good cold, but today I ate it sizzling hot.  You can't go wrong with feta.  I like it cooked better than tossed in salads, though.

So today included a sudden reminder of life and death, and a great kitchen caper. Plus a walk in the suddenly warm sunshine, wearing the technicolor jacket, and a chat with the returned Indian neighbor, and a plant exchange happened. To be exact, some of my spider plant babies moved to her house.

I had stitching plans for today, involving the Peacock Dress motif I stitched a while back, some people may remember that.  It's making its comeback with the Robe of Many Colors now that the vest is finished and just a garment to wear, rather than the focus of determined work. However, the spanakopita pasties took more time and energy than planned, so stitching will happen tomorrow.

Right now it's tea and cornbread.


25 comments:

  1. Three of my very best friends have passed away too. Only one was old. I have throughout my life studied spiritual texts and wanted live in the now, without much success until now. For me that is the best gift of a long life, to be more able to be present in life, present in the now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to be present, not always planning ahead and looking back, just being still. I think it's a lifelong task, once we get past babyhood.

      Delete
  2. Spanakopita, very delicious. I have never made them, but the local grocery store has very nice little rolypoly ones with feta and spinach, frozen, and imported from Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed setting your doctor straight on the reason for your diet years ago. You could have added that it tastes better than from a can or fast food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't talk to a doctor about food. I haven't found one who knows much about it. I did talk about my exercise and weight training, as in lifting weights. That kind of weight -- dumbbells.

      Delete
  4. Living mindfully in the now is important. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend Karen sounds like she was a wonderful person. They say "the good die young" and sometimes it seems like, yes, that's exactly what happens. I love spanakopita too -- never thought of putting the filling in pastry though instead of phyllo! I don't mind phyllo though, but you do have to work very fast when assembling the dish or it will dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't much like eating phyllo, too many flakes flying about! Years ago I made my own. It was good. It was also one of those experiences that you think that was nice, and I'm not doing it again!

      Delete
  6. Longevity - it's all about making the most of every day, isn't it? Easier for some than others, easier at times than others, but always worth striving for.

    Spanakopita pasties - SWOON.....!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning. Trying not to stuff every moment with activity, allowing spaces for a bit of wisdom to get in!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry about your friend. You have a very good attitude and approach to life. I sometimes have trouble properly living in the present and I know that can make a big difference. Your Spanakopitas sure look good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good food helps you to live in the present!

      Delete
  8. Just landed here from your other blog, and what art! Spanokopita without the fiddly pastry! Feeding the body AND feeding the creative soul sounds pretty good to me, and its a precious legacy from your wonderful friend Karen. Good food makes for good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making the trip! It's lovely to see Karen being appreciated by people who never knew her in person. It just shows the ways in which we live on.

      Delete
  9. Karen was born exactly two years before me. July 28. We shared a birthday. Your spanakopita handpies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of friends have commented on being similar age to Karen. Even, like you, same birthday. You're all so young!
      The credit for thinking of spanakopita goes to you, Mary, when you blogged about it recently. It got my mouth all set!

      Delete
  10. I love spinach and feta pies. I don't know about the tortilla pastry recipe, any chance of you posting it, please? I recently bought a couple of borek (the Turkish equivalent) and looking forward to trying those but I'd prefer to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here, Jenny. To get instructions for the tortilla dough, scroll down the right column of subjects, click on "tortillas" and it will bring you to two posts about it. The one for November 15 last year has the details. Enjoy!

      Delete
  11. I was happy to meet you friend today, twenty years after her death. You keep her alive for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven years. But your point still stands.

      Delete
  12. you make me want to get in the kitchen and cook. we get spanikopita from Costco but homemade looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. And the warmed up second day ones were just as good, though less crisp.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!